Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 AM
amp amp started this thread

519 posts, read 1,515,831 times

Advertisements

We are looking to go on vacation this summer with our friends that live in DC. We are trying to choose a spot that is about the same amount of travel time between Charlotte and DC. Ideally it would be a family friendly beach that isn't too touristy(my definition of this would be a beach lined with hotels). We have been to the outer banks(Duck, Corolla, etc), but was wondering if there are other great options? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:22 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
We are looking to go on vacation this summer with our friends that live in DC. We are trying to choose a spot that is about the same amount of travel time between Charlotte and DC. Ideally it would be a family friendly beach that isn't too touristy(my definition of this would be a beach lined with hotels). We have been to the outer banks(Duck, Corolla, etc), but was wondering if there are other great options? Thanks!
It's hard to go to a beach without too many tourists in the summer in NC or SC!

I like Emerald Isle on the Crystal Coast.

Crystal Coast NC | Emerald Isle NC | Outer Banks

But look at Topsail Island further south to get away from too many hotels.

Topsail Beach, NC*

Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
I was going to suggest Duck or Corolla as those are the quieter part of the upper banks and is a good halfway point (although we've noticed that on weekends in the Summer - we can get from CLT to the outer banks faster than from DC as it seems that most of their traffic is coming and going from the north).

Further down the Outer Banks in Avon or Rodanthe is going to be much less crowded than Kitty Hawk / Kill Devil Hills and the Northern stretch of 12.

And Ocracoke Island is very small and laid back- and the beaches are are beautiful very sparsely populated - even in the summer you can find long stretches of beach with no one else on them. The town can get a bit crowded during the day with people taking day trips over from Hatteras, but most are wandering around town and not hitting the beaches - and by 6:00 PM, the place has pretty much cleared out.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 AM

68 posts, read 110,812 times
Ok it's not in NC but close to the stateline. Virginia Beach is nothing but tourists in summer, but maybe Sandbridge would be something for you

Old 03-19-2012, 11:46 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
I love Hunting Island state park outside of Beaufort, SC. It is ~50 miles south of Hilton Head, so, away from a lot of tourists and glitz. there are NO hotels that are on the waterfront (as it is a state park), the closest town is Beaufort,SC which is a very historic and beautiful place in its own right. You can stay in either Fripp Island (rent a condo or a home) or in Beaufort. Lots to explore in a peaceful, quiet setting. Not great for kids as there are none of the amusement-type places to frequent. But, great for people who want an enjoyable, quiet time at the beach. And, bonus...if you are fair and burn easily, it is possible to sit in the shade of the wooded area and still be at the waterfront!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I love Hunting Island state park outside of Beaufort, SC. It is ~50 miles south of Hilton Head, so, away from a lot of tourists and glitz. there are NO hotels that are on the waterfront (as it is a state park), the closest town is Beaufort,SC which is a very historic and beautiful place in its own right. You can stay in either Fripp Island (rent a condo or a home) or in Beaufort. Lots to explore in a peaceful, quiet setting. Not great for kids as there are none of the amusement-type places to frequent. But, great for people who want an enjoyable, quiet time at the beach. And, bonus...if you are fair and burn easily, it is possible to sit in the shade of the wooded area and still be at the waterfront!
Love Hunting Island myself

I think Fripp Island would be just what the OP would enjoy, except it might be too far south for her friends coming from D.C.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:11 PM

All these suggestions are great!! I will definatly check them out! Except VA beach, not a fan, but maybe the other one that was suggested. We will have a bunch of little kids with us, but honestly I don't like the amusement park type attractions. Sand, surf and a pool is all we really need for amusement, maybe some good restaurants. We have been to duck and corolla before, which is where I have been searching this am, we liked it there. Okracoke and topsail were on my radar too! Again thanks!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:15 PM

Checked on mapquest. Hunting Island and Topsail seem like a great choice. I think Ocracoke might be a little far for both of us both.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
I will second Topsail Island. We went there for the first time last summer and it's now my favorite beach on the east coast. Clear water - literally clear from waist deep we could see our toes- hardly any people, no hotels, clean, just beautiful. There are plenty of things to do there as well, just a little more laid back than a touristy beach. Only thing is that you will have trouble finding a rental this late. Most are booked by early February. It's worth a shot though!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:50 PM

495 posts, read 1,077,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Hey, speak for yourself. When I was a kid, I loved going bird-watching on the marshy side of a barrier island. You couldn't pay me to ride a roller coaster over that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte