U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 05:54 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,174,428 times

Advertisements

[quote=Feltdesigner;23655244]Best Buy can bounce back if they scale back inventory and price match Amazon.

That's ridiculous[SIZE=3]. [/SIZE]How in the world can any retailer with an external location match an on-line supply house, when they are paying tremendous rent
and taxes not to mention payroll costs and other overhead costs?

My point is; What if Amazon starts selling "Happy Meals" delivered same day to your door? McDonald's will be in big trouble. Hum....business opportunity here!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 07:08 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,372,317 times
[quote=ClevelandMike;23675125]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Best Buy can bounce back if they scale back inventory and price match Amazon.

That's ridiculous[SIZE=3]. [/SIZE]How in the world can any retailer with an external location match an on-line supply house, when they are paying tremendous rent
and taxes not to mention payroll costs and other overhead costs?

My point is; What if Amazon starts selling "Happy Meals" delivered same day to your door? McDonald's will be in big trouble. Hum....business opportunity here!

I'm pretty sure Amazon operates at a loss at times just to keep customers on their site.

Best Buy probably makes the bulk of their money on warranties, cables and accessories anyway... if Best Buy wants to survive they will scale back and do whatever they can to compete with Amazon or they will die.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 AM

A retailer that has a physical location, one that is renting, leasing or paying taxes for real estate, and has payroll and overhead expenses (all this stuff is added to the price of goods being sold), can't scale back and compete with an on-line retailer.

Comp USA (gone), Circuit City (gone) versus Tiger Direct (online and in business) is a good example
of this.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

You do understand that's not what I said, but what a couple others have repeated, don't you?
Yeah, I think comparison shopping is good business and I totally get your distinction b/n comparison shopping (smart!) and simply gathering intel from one retailer with the intent of buying from a different source. The only redeeming part of that kind of lousy consumerism is that perhaps while the non-buyer is in the store, he/she will find something else they wish to purchase while there. It does happen.

I am big on supporting local businesses, chain or not. I don't care if it is a Mom 'n Pop or Best Buy. . . these businesses are keeping folks employed. If a Mom 'n Pop store charges me a bit more but their service is outstanding (let's say - they will actually help me with my landscaping design, or give me personal advice on a project) . . . then they are assisting me, no-charge, but providing something that costs me in other ways - my time! (if I had to do the research myself). The service is like a product to me - and has a value.

I think it is lousy to "use" a retailer as a source of info when the intent was never to buy there. Now, if you go in and walk around and the intent is to find the same product at the best price, and it turns out, in the end, that even with shipping, you save money by ordering online - then that is different.

People seem to have no moral compass any longer. It is plain old BAD MANNERS (even if you don't think it is unethical) to take up someone else's time when you never intended to buy from them in the first place. Now, that is how I see it. My only hope is . . . the folks who do that patronize said establishment for other purchases, or else they are not gonna stay in business . . . and closing doors means losing jobs, something we all should be concerned about.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yeah, I think comparison shopping is good business and I totally get your distinction b/n comparison shopping (smart!) and simply gathering intel from one retailer with the intent of buying from a different source. The only redeeming part of that kind of lousy consumerism is that perhaps while the non-buyer is in the store, he/she will find something else they wish to purchase while there. It does happen.

I am big on supporting local businesses, chain or not. I don't care if it is a Mom 'n Pop or Best Buy. . . these businesses are keeping folks employed. If a Mom 'n Pop store charges me a bit more but their service is outstanding (let's say - they will actually help me with my landscaping design, or give me personal advice on a project) . . . then they are assisting me, no-charge, but providing something that costs me in other ways - my time! (if I had to do the research myself). The service is like a product to me - and has a value.

I think it is lousy to "use" a retailer as a source of info when the intent was never to buy there. Now, if you go in and walk around and the intent is to find the same product at the best price, and it turns out, in the end, that even with shipping, you save money by ordering online - then that is different.

People seem to have no moral compass any longer. It is plain old BAD MANNERS (even if you don't think it is unethical) to take up someone else's time when you never intended to buy from them in the first place. Now, that is how I see it. My only hope is . . . the folks who do that patronize said establishment for other purchases, or else they are not gonna stay in business . . . and closing doors means losing jobs, something we all should be concerned about.
Would I rather have A)a person go straight to Amazon or B)come into my store with no intentions of buying before purchasing on Amazon?

I'd take B every time.... at least I have a shot, slim to none... but still better than no shot at all.

As far as a moral compass is concerned... I'm sorry, I don't feel any sympathy for walking into a store and asking about a product and then walking out and buying it somewhere else. It's my money, my time, my investment. Either charge for the info or lock the doors and make people slide a credit card to get in.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 04-02-2012 at 11:13 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
A retailer that has a physical location, one that is renting, leasing or paying taxes for real estate, and has payroll and overhead expenses (all this stuff is added to the price of goods being sold), can't scale back and compete with an on-line retailer.

Comp USA (gone), Circuit City (gone) versus Tiger Direct (online and in business) is a good example
of this.
...and this is why BB is closing 50 stores and tweaking their strategy. If you don't adapt.. you die.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,878,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post

of this.

Tiger Direct now own both CompUSA & Circuit City names & rights.

They have been reopening shuttered Compusa's and have them making a profit.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:53 AM

21,963 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Ani, I couldn't agree more, especially about manners.

That said, Best Buy would do well to pay a little bit more & hire employees who know something. When I went to buy a camera, the cameras were locked up & the 1st employee offered to order it for me online. I told him that I wanted to handle the camera that I would buy, first, to make sure that it's a good fit. Then he told me to just buy a Canon or Nikon (also locked up) because it wouldn't make any difference. The 2nd guy knew less but was nice.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Tiger Direct now own both CompUSA & Circuit City names & rights.

They have been reopening shuttered Compusa's and have them making a profit.

Maybe time for Best Buy to Take the VP's of Tiger Direct out for Dinner?

To the others...It's sad but true, retail showrooms and in-store sales people are great for getting intel when making purchasing choices elsewhere. That's how many people shop today.

Me, I use Consumers Reports and don't waste anytime driving around and using gasoline or wasting an employees time.

The real pity lies in those shameless customers wasting time at a retail center trying to beat a system or barter over a nickel, and believe me,
this seems to waste of payroll and profits. The on-lines do not need to deal with arrogant shameless persons that want a penny refund.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, I couldn't agree more, especially about manners.

That said, Best Buy would do well to pay a little bit more & hire employees who know something. When I went to buy a camera, the cameras were locked up & the 1st employee offered to order it for me online. I told him that I wanted to handle the camera that I would buy, first, to make sure that it's a good fit. Then he told me to just buy a Canon or Nikon (also locked up) because it wouldn't make any difference. The 2nd guy knew less but was nice.
Dear heavens. This is one case of why getting advice from sales people isn't always that helpful in making a decision. It's also a deterrent to creating loyal customer relationships. Might as well be "self service." If the sales person is an idiot, everyone loses! No wonder these stores need a good return policy!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or