U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 12:21 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Would I rather have A)a person go straight to Amazon or B)come into my store with no intentions of buying before purchasing on Amazon?

I'd take B every time.... at least I have a shot, slim to none... but still better than no shot at all.

As far as a moral compass is concerned... I'm sorry, I don't feel any sympathy for walking into a store and asking about a product and then walking out and buying it somewhere else. It's my money, my time, my investment. Either charge for the info or lock the doors and make people slide a credit card to get in.
Well, if that is what you got out of my entire post . . . SIGH. I plainly said that comparison shopping is smart. Taking up someone's time, asking to see different models, trying them out, when you knew b/f going into the store that you were NOT going to buy from that store is bad business. However, I also said . . . at least the person came in and that may mean they would spend some money while there.

I also think that it is hard to be a loyal customer when there is bad customer service, or when items are out of stock on a regular basis . . . etc.

If you are trying to make the right selection and need to shop around, there is certainly nothing wrong with doing that. That is why we call it "shopping." Otherwise, we would simply refer to it as "buying."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 12:56 PM

22,026 posts, read 27,318,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Dear heavens. This is one case of why getting advice from sales people isn't always that helpful in making a decision. It's also a deterrent to creating loyal customer relationships. Might as well be "self service." If the sales person is an idiot, everyone loses! No wonder these stores need a good return policy!!!!!
I've never been a fan of Best Buy for this reason, but went there as it was the closest store that carried the Sony DSLTs. I ended up going to Wolf Camera in Pineville. I paid more for gas & the extra Mecklenberg sales tax, but felt good about the purchase. At that price, I was not going to buy sight unseen online & would not use a store to save, literally, $50 or less, online.

I had always had Pentax SLRs, but they were not available in stores, If I wouldn't buy Pentax online, I wasn't going to buy another brand, either. It seemed simple to me.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 PM

11,808 posts, read 9,401,230 times
Quote:
Well, if that is what you got out of my entire post . . . SIGH. I plainly said that comparison shopping is smart. Taking up someone's time, asking to see different models, trying them out, when you knew b/f going into the store that you were NOT going to buy from that store is bad business. However, I also said . . . at least the person came in and that may mean they would spend some money while there.

I also think that it is hard to be a loyal customer when there is bad customer service, or when items are out of stock on a regular basis . . . etc.

If you are trying to make the right selection and need to shop around, there is certainly nothing wrong with doing that. That is why we call it "shopping." Otherwise, we would simply refer to it as "buying."
I'm simply giving my opinion on the matter.....gasp.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,285,454 times
Quote:
Dear heavens. This is one case of why getting advice from sales people isn't always that helpful in making a decision. It's also a deterrent to creating loyal customer relationships. Might as well be "self service." If the sales person is an idiot, everyone loses! No wonder these stores need a good return policy!!!!!
A business gets what it pays its workers for.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:42 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Salary (and incentives) are just one part of that equation. Proper training - and selecting folks who actually WANT to work - are as important to an employee's success - and the business's success - as salary and incentives.

People who don't even attempt to learn about the merchandise they are supposed to be selling are FAIL. But that failure may be as much the employer's fault as the employee's . . . if training is inadequate.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:43 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,948,675 times
Quote:
So what does that mean when I speak with Indians at Amazon Customer Service?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,177,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
So what does that mean when I speak with Indians at Amazon Customer Service?
Exactly!!!
Our minimum wage is probably 12 times higher than in India.
Amazon's overhead is probably exempt from taxes too.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:45 AM

2,109 posts, read 3,593,027 times
Quote:
This is BS, same lazy workers could be payed 10 times more and they would be just as lazy. This is an excuse that should not be tolerated.
As I tell my kids, to have fun and feel rewarded, be the best in what ever you do, at all times. Don't look for reasons to slack off or you'll turn into a drag to the society. And avoid the people that are born with "entitlement rights", they are the most miserable/useless people you'll meet.

Sure that it helps when a business is creative and setting up an environment (training, atmosphere, etc) that attracts the brightest employees and trims the "dead-wood" ones. See Apple stores, smart sales guys are lining up to work there (don't think there is much better pay).

Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM

150 posts, read 283,111 times
Best Buy has a terrible selection of electronics. For example, I went in not too long ago to buy a car stereo, and they didn't even have a mounting bracket that would fit my explorer. They are very limited in accessories, and whatever mainstream products they want to push down your throat, that's what you get.

You can't buy a PC without paying for Microsoft Windows, even if you already legally own a copy, or perhaps you want to use another OS, like Linux. You can go online to get what you want, and 99% of the time, cheaper. And then you don't have to be guilted into an overpriced/useless service plan by the checkout clerks online either.

To vmaxnc: How is it the consumer's fault that Best Buy's prices can't compete with online prices? It seems like they could if they wanted to.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:58 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,372,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrm View Post
To vmaxnc: How is it the consumer's fault that Best Buy's prices can't compete with online prices? It seems like they could if they wanted to.
I never said it was the consumer's fault. But the points you're referring to:

1. B&M stores (rightly and obviously) being more expensive than online stores

and

2. Using a store's resources while knowing when you went in that you will absolutely NOT be doing any business there

along with all the ancillary issues have been addressed dozens of times in this thread alone. Feel free to read back through.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 04-03-2012 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or