U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 10:53 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,144,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
The tax man's taken all my dough
And left me in this stately home
Lazing on a sunny afternoon
And I can't even sail my yacht
He's taken everything I've got
All I got's this sunny afternoon
I used to think that lyrics was "blazing on a sunny afternoon"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 AM

183 posts, read 332,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I never said it was the consumer's fault. But the points you're referring to:

1. B&M stores (rightly and obviously) being more expensive than online stores

and

2. Using a store's resources while knowing when you went in that you will absolutely NOT be doing any business there

along with all the ancillary issues have been addressed dozens of times in this thread alone. Feel free to read back through.
How many different ways can you emphasize point #2 in slightly different verbiage? We get it...

Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,363,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTfromCharlotte View Post
How many different ways can you emphasize point #2 in slightly different verbiage? We get it...
Obviously some posters do not get it, because they keep asking the same questions, or they post as if I said something completely different. I'm not repeating myself just for the fun of it.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 AM

5,901 posts, read 7,753,650 times
And you don't get that any time you go into a store the store has a chance to sell you something, whether or not you have no intention of buying anything there.

I bought a laptop yesterday from Best Buy after standing in front of said laptop for 30 minutes without one worker acknowledging me. I guess that makes up for all these unethical people that are going to hell for going into a store where they don't intend to buy anything.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,836,456 times
Everyone seems willing to blame the stores, I wonder how much is being sucked out of Best Buy by the "Executives" and how much is being paid out in dividends. The parasites at the top have done most of the damage

Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,947,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
And you don't get that any time you go into a store the store has a chance to sell you something, whether or not you have no intention of buying anything there.

I bought a laptop yesterday from Best Buy after standing in front of said laptop for 30 minutes without one worker acknowledging me. I guess that makes up for all these unethical people that are going to hell for going into a store where they don't intend to buy anything.
People just don't get it. If someone has Amazon/their fav online retailer on the mind and only needs to sample something in-store (televisions mainly), they aren't just going to change their purchase habit because they are there. Best Buy isn't going to wheel and deal you. Their pricing is the same for all customers (no commission). Going into the store these people already know that price. They just need to see if they like the product so they can go home and get it tax "free" online. Why is this concept so hard for people to understand...

Old 04-05-2012, 08:13 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,947,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Everyone seems willing to blame the stores, I wonder how much is being sucked out of Best Buy by the "Executives" and how much is being paid out in dividends. The parasites at the top have done most of the damage
Why not ask the Red Cross, the Banks, Auto Industry, etc... This isn't a practice exclusive to Best Buy... it happens EVERYWHERE including the online retailers.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 AM

5,901 posts, read 7,753,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
People just don't get it. If someone has Amazon/their fav online retailer on the mind and only needs to sample something in-store (televisions mainly), they aren't just going to change their purchase habit because they are there. Best Buy isn't going to wheel and deal you. Their pricing is the same for all customers (no commission). Going into the store these people already know that price. They just need to see if they like the product so they can go home and get it tax "free" online. Why is this concept so hard for people to understand...
But are Amazon's prices that much better? From what I saw Best Buy's prices matched up pretty well. For me (and I'm of the younger generation), it's much easier to get something at the store than have to have it shipped to your house, make sure you're home, etc.

And even if you're not going to buy whatever product you're looking at there, there's nothing stopping you from buying something else, such as an accessory for that product.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,363,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTfromCharlotte View Post
As a perfect example, see the post below. That poster thinks I've been talking about not intending to buy anything there, when I've been talking about intending to buy elsewhere.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
People just don't get it. If someone has Amazon/their fav online retailer on the mind and only needs to sample something in-store (televisions mainly), they aren't just going to change their purchase habit because they are there. Best Buy isn't going to wheel and deal you. Their pricing is the same for all customers (no commission). Going into the store these people already know that price. [b]They just need to see if they like the product so they can go home and get it tax "free" online.(and/or at a lower selling price)[/B] Why is this concept so hard for people to understand...
You get it. Thanks!

There are other items that I would want to put hands on before I buy. Speakers, TVs, computers/laptops, many clothes (I've been shoe shopping and online will just not work for me), tools, etc.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:35 AM

1,491 posts, read 2,685,019 times
Quote:
But are Amazon's prices that much better? From what I saw Best Buy's prices matched up pretty well. For me (and I'm of the younger generation), it's much easier to get something at the store than have to have it shipped to your house, make sure you're home, etc.

And even if you're not going to buy whatever product you're looking at there, there's nothing stopping you from buying something else, such as an accessory for that product.

90% of the time items are cheaper online. Even without firsthand proof, think about the supply chain and logistics and cost behind having that TV in the store. All those costs (prime money for storefront, employees, store maintenance, electric for running all these appliances, vs amazon having a warehouse in the middle of nowhere paying next to nothing PSF and running a website). Brick and mortar stores just can't compete. Especially now where people are tighter on money and will save a few dollars.

The only benefit IMO is that if you need the item right away, you can get it at a B+M Best Buy etc, which I recently did with my laptop (also factoring in it was the same price online)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or