U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2012, 04:29 PM
 
807 posts, read 2,040,238 times
Reputation: 459

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Retailers have been "suckering" people into their stores with all kinds of sales, including BF, for decades. If you didn't know there was a limited number of TVs, then you must not have gotten the memo. Sorry about that.

As for the failed deliveries, assuming that happened, I wouldn't be happy with that either. BUT being the cautious and realistic consumer that I am, I don't know if I'd let BB or any other company have that much control over my Christmas fun. When a delivery is critical, I'd probably opt for having the item sooner rather than risking not having it when I wanted it.
vmax, I'm not against your position of it being unethical to walk into a store knowing you're not going to buy something. My point is that it's a two way street and I am going to have less sympathy for a large box store that plays games to get people in the door.

By the way, it will be a cold day in hell when you catch me waiting in a Black Friday line. I knew it was going to be a limited, just didn't think it would have been 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2012, 04:39 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,243,484 times
Reputation: 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Vmax my experience is being the consumer who has gone into the store with no intentions to buy. Sometimes the service" knowledge and overall customer service won me over and I made a purchase on that day. Sometimed I purchased online and I feel no guilt for "wasting" an employees time because that is their job.

You sound like a guy who wants every customer to step into the store with intentions to buy and that isn't the case. Are you really trying to tell me you never frequent a store when you have no intentions to buy?

I work hard for my money and I will spend it how I choose. A person in sales has a chance to win me over and I will take as much time as I like to find the best deal there is....

I feel no pity for anyone in sales who has to deal with customers who have no intention of buying. Its part of the process and if you don't like it create a store where you can weed out those who are wasting your time. I've gone in tons of stores with the intention to buy and I was treated like I was invisible. It goes both ways.
Normally at this point I'd say something like "we must agree to disagree" but since you STILL cant understand what I've posted several times, or think salespeople are intended to be doormats for you, we should just agree to stop discussing it. You can keep wasting people's time (it's not part of the process), and I'll keep disliking people that do it.

For the record I NEVER EVER go into a store with the intention of buying elsewhere, and spend time with their employees. NEVER. Yes I shop, but I know pricing before I go in anywhere, so that's not an issue. I understand people may not be buyers at that moment, but that was never my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
vmax, I'm not against your position of it being unethical to walk into a store knowing you're not going to buy something. My point is that it's a two way street and I am going to have less sympathy for a large box store that plays games to get people in the door.

By the way, it will be a cold day in hell when you catch me waiting in a Black Friday line. I knew it was going to be a limited, just didn't think it would have been 10.
It's not playing games. Did you really think they'd have hundreds of TVs? What is the magic number? It's been like that since I've been in the business, and long before then. I thought everyone understand "big sale today" and "limited BF quantity".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2012, 04:47 PM
 
807 posts, read 2,040,238 times
Reputation: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Normally at this point I'd say something like "we must agree to disagree" but since you STILL cant understand what I've posted several times, or think salespeople are intended to be doormats for you, we should just agree to stop discussing it. You can keep wasting people's time (it's not part of the process), and I'll keep disliking people that do it.

For the record I NEVER EVER go into a store with the intention of buying elsewhere, and spend time with their employees. NEVER. Yes I shop, but I know pricing before I go in anywhere, so that's not an issue. I understand people may not be buyers at that moment, but that was never my point.

It's not playing games. Did you really think they'd have hundreds of TVs? What is the magic number? It's been like that since I've been in the business.
No, but I thought 10 was an insult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2012, 05:01 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,243,484 times
Reputation: 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
No, but I thought 10 was an insult.
It's common for BF and other short term sales. Certainly the idea is to get people in the store, because companies don't make any money on those items or other "loss leaders".

For real entertainment, try a Walmart BF sale. Many hundreds, even thousands of people, lined up for a shot at a $49 Bluray player, or a $29 microwave, of which there are 10 or even less. People got pepper sprayed last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2012, 05:04 PM
 
1,013 posts, read 2,645,091 times
Reputation: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Yes, poor Best Buy. I'm sure it is their lax return policies that did them in and not the wave after wave of warranty/upsell pitches that one had to endure when purchasing an item there. If you annoy your customers, what do you expect.

Real pitch from a BB clerk to me: Hey, I see you are buying a $20 pair of headphones would you like a $5 replacement plan?




I went in recently to get an HDMI cable. The salesmen was trying to get me to buy an 59.99 cable(when I never asked for assistance). I assured him that there was no difference between a $10.00 HDMI cable and a $100.00 cable. I thought he was going to have a mental breakdown. He told me I would be unbelievably dissapointed in my picture quality if I purchased the $12.99 cable . Then he had the nerve to ask me if I wanted a warranty? A warranty on a $12.99 cable, you can't be serious?????

So, my picture has been fine with my "cheap" cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2012, 05:21 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,243,484 times
Reputation: 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post


I went in recently to get an HDMI cable. The salesmen was trying to get me to buy an 59.99 cable(when I never asked for assistance). I assured him that there was no difference between a $10.00 HDMI cable and a $100.00 cable. I thought he was going to have a mental breakdown. He told me I would be unbelievably dissapointed in my picture quality if I purchased the $12.99 cable . Then he had the nerve to ask me if I wanted a warranty? A warranty on a $12.99 cable, you can't be serious?????

So, my picture has been fine with my "cheap" cable.
How do YOU know that your picture (and sound?) wouldn't be better with a more expensive cable?

I'm not getting into the great cable debate (please let's not go anywhere close to there), but when people say "My x thing works fine with the cheap thingy" without a reference I always want to ask how they know they're getting the most out of their purchase. I did it recently with a food processor. I thought what I had worked great until I tried a big dollar unit. Mine seemed broken after that.


An extended warranty on a cable is ridiculous, no doubt about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,629,472 times
Reputation: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I think the problem is made worse by the outrageous amount of sales tax in Charlotte/Mecklenburg. That $1000 laptop at BestBuy will get another $75-$90 slapped on it. These closings are in part a consequence of high sales taxes.
And the unfair advantage that Amazon has by not collecting taxes. Those days are numbered I suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2012, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,143 posts, read 2,606,403 times
Reputation: 1660
Best Buy has a couple of major hurdles that they'll need to overcome if they are to remain competitive or even alive.

1. Customer Service - it has fallen completely off IMO. I've not met anyone in a while that loves their service and the EXPERIENCE of shopping in their store. That wasn't the case 10 years ago.

2. Pricing/Taxes - Competing against basically Amazon is a loser for everyone in retail, including Goliaths like Wal-Mart, when they basically start with a 7-10% advantage to the consumer by not having to charge sales tax in most states. Best Buy isn't horribly priced on most items and would be much, much more appealing if that gap was closed as people love to look at items before purchasing so you'd see that shift back to brick and mortar stores to a degree, or at least slow down the mass exodus.

If those two things were addressed, probably the first one more so even than the 2nd IMO, they can survive. As has been mentioned in this thread, even with people "showrooming" at Best Buy you still have them IN YOUR STORE! That's a huge advantage and if you have the right people in place and improve the experience of going into their store your close rate will go up. You'll always lose customers to competitors, always, but they are doing themselves no favors right now with the sales people, their tactics and the overall dreadful shopping experience you get today when you walk into their stores. I use to LOVE going in there but rarely even bother anymore unless I am making a purchase.

I like to look at Apple stores. Their merchandise isn't cheap by any means, the stores are small and there aren't that many of them. But they are wildly successful and GROWING. Their sales people are well-trained, knowledgeable and not pushy. It's really an "experience" for many to go to their stores. They've created that and it's rather remarkable given everyone's talk of "the death of B&M stores". B&M can survive if you focus where you should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2012, 05:32 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,629,472 times
Reputation: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Retailers have been "suckering" people into their stores with all kinds of sales, including BF, for decades. If you didn't know there was a limited number of TVs, then you must not have gotten the memo. Sorry about that.

As for the failed deliveries, assuming that happened, I wouldn't be happy with that either. BUT being the cautious and realistic consumer that I am, I don't know if I'd let BB or any other company have that much control over my Christmas fun. When a delivery is critical, I'd probably opt for having the item sooner rather than risking not having it when I wanted it.
It happened. Not only did the delivery fail, the realized they were selling too much stuff too cheap and just mass canceled a boatload of orders. That kind of thing invites people to use BB as an Amazon showroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2012, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 23,046,925 times
Reputation: 14331
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
How do YOU know that your picture (and sound?) wouldn't be better with a more expensive cable?

I'm not getting into the great cable debate (please let's not go anywhere close to there), but when people say "My x thing works fine with the cheap thingy" without a reference I always want to ask how they know they're getting the most out of their purchase. I did it recently with a food processor. I thought what I had worked great until I tried a big dollar unit. Mine seemed broken after that.


An extended warranty on a cable is ridiculous, no doubt about that.
There may be a difference that a machine could pick up, but I've seen friends who had their TV set up with the Monster cables and it looked no different to me than my mine with cheapy 9.99 ones.

If someone can tell the difference between having an expensive cable vs. a cheap one, more power to them to buy the expensive one. But, the important point (to me) of the story was that the salesman just wants to push the most expensive option and has no interest in what the customer wants.

Yes, I understand that salespeople are there to make money but if you push customers like that, they won't come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top