Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:59 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times

Advertisements

Best Buy cannot compete with even B&M stores, specifically for cameras and camera equipment. B&H Camera has both an online store and a B&M store in NY. Best Buy does not carry all brands, even online, and cannot compete with the offerings of B&H.

I tried to get a simple HDMI cable for a laptop to a monitor and walked in to the Rivergate store with the full intent to purchase it there. They didn't have the $8.99 model we saw online so we had to order it online anyway.

The one time I considered buying a camera from BB, I checked to see if they had it on the bar. The model that was on there was broken and would not turn on! How can they expect people to buy if what they put out there specifically for sampling is broken? A salesperson came over to take a look at it, but said they had no other sample to replace it with. He does not even know how to remove the lens from the camera when I said I wanted to find out how heavy it was without the lens.

In fairness, I was able to purchase a lens online from them on special for $359 vs. everyone else's (incl. Amazon) $499. But overall, they really couldn't match Amazon's pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 09:15 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Best Buy cannot compete with even B&M stores, specifically for cameras and camera equipment. B&H Camera has both an online store and a B&M store in NY. Best Buy does not carry all brands, even online, and cannot compete with the offerings of B&H.

I tried to get a simple HDMI cable for a laptop to a monitor and walked in to the Rivergate store with the full intent to purchase it there. They didn't have the $8.99 model we saw online so we had to order it online anyway.

The one time I considered buying a camera from BB, I checked to see if they had it on the bar. The model that was on there was broken and would not turn on! How can they expect people to buy if what they put out there specifically for sampling is broken? A salesperson came over to take a look at it, but said they had no other sample to replace it with. He does not even know how to remove the lens from the camera when I said I wanted to find out how heavy it was without the lens.

In fairness, I was able to purchase a lens online from them on special for $359 vs. everyone else's (incl. Amazon) $499. But overall, they really couldn't match Amazon's pricing.
BB doesn't have salespeople, they have attendants, or clerks. It's not surprising they had no clue of how to help you with your intended camera purchase, or that their display wasn't working.

You couldn't find another HDMI cable that fit your needs without ordering online? In that price range they must have had something else that would work fine.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:51 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
BB doesn't have salespeople, they have attendants, or clerks. It's not surprising they had no clue of how to help you with your intended camera purchase, or that their display wasn't working.

You couldn't find another HDMI cable that fit your needs without ordering online? In that price range they must have had something else that would work fine.
No unfortunately, what they or Walmart had in store started at $39.99. I don't see any reason to pay that when the $8.99 works.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:42 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Would I rather have A)a person go straight to Amazon or B)come into my store with no intentions of buying before purchasing on Amazon?

I'd take B every time.... at least I have a shot, slim to none... but still better than no shot at all.

As far as a moral compass is concerned... I'm sorry, I don't feel any sympathy for walking into a store and asking about a product and then walking out and buying it somewhere else. It's my money, my time, my investment. Either charge for the info or lock the doors and make people slide a credit card to get in.

Oh look, it's Feltdesigner making no sense in yet another post...

Old 04-14-2012, 01:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
The Monroe, NC store on 74 made the new list. Can't say that I'm surprised.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:07 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post

Comp USA (gone), Circuit City (gone) versus Tiger Direct (online and in business) is a good example
of this.
Tiger Direct has physical stores, but they're also involved in several other markets like B2B and catalog sales. And rebate scams according to BBB.

Best Buy's major problems are they never fully integrated their online and physical store operations, and their reliance on CD/DVD sales as loss leaders was doomed when physical media became obsolete. Their shift to high-pressure add-on sales didn't help matters either.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
IMPLODES????? Hardly. What a ridiculous headline. They're changing their focus, and responding to the market. Companies that don't do that actually do implode. I know firsthand, since I worked for one.

I've always had an issue with shoppers who go into a B&M store to do their research, wasting the time of those employees, and then buy online. It's unethical. To anyone who thinks otherwise, ask yourself this-if you had a store, would you be OK with people doing it to you?

Unethical? It's called consumer driven market and the consumers are now driving to Amazon. Don't like it? Too bad because it's way too late for BBY to turn ship. Investors are smelling the wounds of poor management.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:32 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
WOW. I needed to buy a flash drive and, as per usual, (I really don't like going to B&M stores, avoid them if at all possible) went straight to Amazon. Found a great deal, ordered it. It was lost in the mail (the first issue that I have had in many years of ordering through them) and asked for a refund. Meanwhile, I need the flash drive NOW, so, I checked Target & Walmart online to see which was cheaper. I had expected similar prices....WOW. They are double what I would have paid on Amazon! Now, curious, I checked into some other small electronic bits that I will be needing....MUCH more expensive. I don't pay shipping with Amazon as I am a student and have Amazon Prime. So, as long as I plan well, that will be my obvious choice.

Haven't really paid that much attention to the prices that the B&M stores have had v Amazon...but, they REALLY are much higher! No wonder the B&M stores are imploding!!

Old 04-15-2012, 07:05 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post

Haven't really paid that much attention to the prices that the B&M stores have had v Amazon...but, they REALLY are much higher! No wonder the B&M stores are imploding!!
And Best Buy has some of THE most overpriced items, with not many less-expensive alternatives. I was looking for a screen protector for my phone. At Best Buy, the *least* expensive option was $19.99. Across the street at Target, their least expensive option was $9.99. Scanned the UPC into the eBay app, and found the same thing for $3, free shipping.

Same thing for a charger for my son's laptop. Least expensive option at Best Buy was $59.99. We found what he needed on Amazon for $22., with $4 shipping. And both times we walked into BestBuy, there was NO customer service, no one asked if they could help.

We had trouble getting a DLC code from a game we bought at BestBuy, and it took them weeks to resolve the issue - and that was the case for many others, according to BestBuy's message boards.

You can't have the highest prices and crappy customer service and survive.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:18 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Oh look, it's Feltdesigner making no sense in yet another post...
Like school on a Sunday...

Did you really take the time to paste a cheesy photo or is that your sig?

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 04-15-2012 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte