Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:59 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,124,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
You gain nothing from going to a B&M (damn, now I want some baked beans) unless they have good service, which Best Buy does not. People will reward a store with their patronage if they can set themselves apart from their cheaper competitors. For example, Renfrow Hardware is still open when one could just as easily go to Home Depot/Lowes.
Renfrow is very helpful. But don't kid yourself that most people will continue to pay more for commodity items on a daily basis. There's only so much a retailer (their salespeople specifically) can do to set themselves apart when a person just wants a box (TV, receiver, Bluray player, etc).

I lived it for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 03:07 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,727,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
How is it unethical? You mean to tell me you never set foot in a store unless you are purchasing a product?

I would love to have tons of people in my store asking questions and testing the products. I'd rather have a packed store than an empty one.
My rule is that if I use expert services of an employee or make a decision that I couldn't make except in the store then I will buy it in the store unless the price difference is out of the world.

An interesting example was that I was having trouble with getting the right shoe with Zappos. I went to the New Balance store in Matthews and talked to an expert and tried on shoes until finding the right one. Since I decided to buy the shoes after this experience I thought it was appropriate to buy them there. Ends up the NB store was $5 cheaper anyway but the point stands.

And no I wouldn't want a ton of people in my store asking questions and testing products if they were "showrooming" and there wasn't a chance they were going to buy from me.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
My rule is that if I use expert services of an employee or make a decision that I couldn't make except in the store then I will buy it in the store unless the price difference is out of the world.

An interesting example was that I was having trouble with getting the right shoe with Zappos. I went to the New Balance store in Matthews and talked to an expert and tried on shoes until finding the right one. Since I decided to buy the shoes after this experience I thought it was appropriate to buy them there. Ends up the NB store was $5 cheaper anyway but the point stands.

And no I wouldn't want a ton of people in my store asking questions and testing products if they were "showrooming" and there wasn't a chance they were going to buy from me.
How ironic! Thank you for reminding me about the NB store. Over the last couple weeks I've shopped a few places for new running shoes, and can't find the right size. NB is my preference, but I'd forgotten about that store. I need to be sized properly, which hasn't been done in a couple of the discount stores, and certainly won't get done online.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:33 PM

15,363 posts, read 12,563,912 times
I tried to buy a washer and dryer from best buy but they couldn't deliver it for 45 days.... so I bought it from the local mom and pop appliance store on monroe. Free delivery and they knocked off an extra 75 bucks and this is after my 3rd visit. I guess they didn't see my multiple visits as disrespect.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:38 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,940,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post

Everyone wants to save money. There is no point to buy a $1000 laptop at Best Buy when it can be had online somewhere for $800.
I think the problem is made worse by the outrageous amount of sales tax in Charlotte/Mecklenburg. That $1000 laptop at BestBuy will get another $75-$90 slapped on it. These closings are in part a consequence of high sales taxes.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:41 PM

It doesn't matter if people come into the store with no intentions to buy... if they are in the store you have a chance to convince them why they should purchase the product from you. I think any store would welcome that opportunity even if the conversion rate is 3%.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I tried to buy a washer and dryer from best buy but they couldn't deliver it for 45 days.... so I bought it from the local mom and pop appliance store on monroe. Free delivery and they knocked off an extra 75 bucks and this is after my 3rd visit. I guess they didn't see my multiple visits as disrespect.
Quote:
It doesn't matter if people come into the store with no intentions to buy... if they are in the store you have a chance to convince them why they should purchase the product from you. I think any store would welcome that opportunity even if the conversion rate is 3%.
Since you missed this quote or chose to ignore it...

People go into retailers every day, knowing they are not going to buy there. That is unethical.

Try making your living in sales, spending half your time getting jerked around by people who fall into the above category, and you'll change your mind. My closing rate was in the 40% range, but I specialized in systems, not boxes. I couldn't do that if I had to waste half my day educating people so they could buy online. A box is a box is a box, and as I said before, there's only so much one can do to overcome a price difference on something that person is going to carry out of the store.

It absolutely does matter. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. I lived it. What is your experience?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:04 PM

810 posts, read 2,283,861 times
How many people did they sucker into the store with the $199 42" HD TV's on Black Friday, only to have 10 in stock?

Don't get me wrong, I like Best Buy and have purchased plenty from them. But, that BF stunt had really turned me off. Why not give more of your frequent customers a chance at a $199 TV? They chose to say, go wait outside like an idiot for 5 plus hours and hope there is one when you get in the door, otherwise we can sell you something else. While I'm on the rant, how many Christmas morning where ruined by the over promise they made on deliveries, only to send out e-mails out right before Christmas that their orders will not be delivered on time?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
How many people did they sucker into the store with the $199 42" HD TV's on Black Friday, only to have 10 in stock?

Don't get me wrong, I like Best Buy and have purchased plenty from them. But, that BF stunt had really turned me off. Why not give more of your frequent customers a chance at a $199 TV? They chose to say, go wait outside like an idiot for 5 plus hours and hope there is one when you get in the door, otherwise we can sell you something else. While I'm on the rant, how many Christmas morning where ruined by the over promise they made on deliveries, only to send out e-mails out right before Christmas that their orders will not be delivered on time?
Retailers have been "suckering" people into their stores with all kinds of sales, including BF, for decades. If you didn't know there was a limited number of TVs, then you must not have gotten the memo. Sorry about that.

As for the failed deliveries, assuming that happened, I wouldn't be happy with that either. BUT being the cautious and realistic consumer that I am, I don't know if I'd let BB or any other company have that much control over my Christmas fun. When a delivery is critical, I'd probably opt for having the item sooner rather than risking not having it when I wanted it.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:28 PM

Vmax my experience is being the consumer who has gone into the store with no intentions to buy. Sometimes the service" knowledge and overall customer service won me over and I made a purchase on that day. Sometimed I purchased online and I feel no guilt for "wasting" an employees time because that is their job.

You sound like a guy who wants every customer to step into the store with intentions to buy and that isn't the case. Are you really trying to tell me you never frequent a store when you have no intentions to buy?

I work hard for my money and I will spend it how I choose. A person in sales has a chance to win me over and I will take as much time as I like to find the best deal there is....

I feel no pity for anyone in sales who has to deal with customers who have no intention of buying. Its part of the process and if you don't like it create a store where you can weed out those who are wasting your time. I've gone in tons of stores with the intention to buy and I was treated like I was invisible. It goes both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte