Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
ncopus99, I don't care to get into line by line rebuttal battles. I've stated the differences between a sales tax and the use tax as enacted by NC. It's up to the party making a purchase if they think it applies to their Amazon or any online purchase. I'm not here to debate that. On the other hand the sales taxes that one pays in Best Buy are not up for debate as these are forced on people regardless of where they might be used or where the person resides.

These stores are hurting due to this high taxation which was my entire point in the first place. I consider it a disadvantage that NC decides to tax BB at the rate it does, not an advantage to Amazon.
But the issue with Best Buy is not confined to NC. 7 percent sales tax is pretty middle of the pack compared to other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
I've never been a fan of Best Buy. I went there last summer to buy a camera. I did my research beforehand & because I could only get Pentax online, I wanted to check out Sony. The DSLRs were locked up & no one had a key. I spoke to two guys who knew nothing but kept trying to sell me on a Nikon or Canon (also locked up). I left & went to Wolf Camera in Pineville where the guy knew what he was talking about & I was able to handle the camera. I bought my DSLT from Wolf. In my opinion. I wasted time & gas money going to Best Buy.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:35 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I will glady pay more for an item if it means excellent customer service, good return policy, standing by warranty, etc.

Now, paying more for a product (whether online or B&M) when I don't get the assistance I need, can't return a product, high shipping, etc . . . then that is a problem.

Some things purchased online end up being more expensive than buying from a B&M store.

A smart merchant will have nice merchandise displays and informed sales people who also entice the consumer to look at other items while in the store.

Studies show, the longer you stay in a store, the more likely you are to buy something. So even if someone goes into a B&M store and decides to buy online (or went there with the intention to buy online) - it doesn't mean that he/she won't buy other items while in the store.

Some people are just jerks. How many of us have heard the stories of people buying an air mattress for guests, then returning it on Monday? I sure have! My friends who work in retail have told me that a liberal return policy will bring out the users and abusers . . . but yet . . . that liberal return policy can also be what draws me to a store, in case I get a lemon home.

I agree that some behaviors are just plain unethical, but sadly, there are people out there who think nothing of buying that $400 dress to wear to a party, tucking in the tickets, and then returning it on Monday. :-(

Sad but true.

I like Best Buy. I also like Amazon, QVC, HSN, etc. B&M have their place as do online merchants . . . but the problem is with consumers who will be real asses at times to save $50.

Unethical to look around a store and compare prices? If it is, then I have been engaging in unethical behavior since I was about 7. I was raised to comparison shop. Every dollar counts. I even comparison shop at grocery stores - every week, actually. I won't buy an item at HT if I know I can get it cheaper at FL. (assuming i will have several items to buy at a different location - gas costs $$$ too)
you are so unethical Ani... how dare you set foot in a store with no intentions of buying. It's criminal!

Old 03-30-2012, 12:39 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
I am stunned at the number of people who cannot grasp the point I've made several times, so I'll try it one last time:

If you go into a store

with the intent to buy elsewhere,

and only

TO USE THEIR STAFF AND DISPLAYS AS YOUR EDUCATOR,

again

knowing you are GOING TO BUY ELSEWHERE,

AGAIN KNOWING YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT GOING TO BUY THERE AND ARE ONLY THERE TO GAIN INFORMATION SO YOU CAN BUY ELSEWHERE WHICH YOU KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO DO BEFORE YOU WALKED BEFORE YOU WALKED IN,

you are practicing bad ethics.

Does that make it clear, or are some of you going to continue to think browsing a store is what I mean?????

Old 03-30-2012, 12:40 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I am stunned at the number of people who cannot grasp the point I've amde several times, so I'll try it one last time:

If you go into a store with the intent to not buy there, and only TO USE THEIR STAFF AND DISPLAYS AS YOUR EDUCATOR, again knowing you are NOT going to buy there, AGAIN KNOWING YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT GOING TO BUY THERE AND ARE ONLY THERE TO GAIN INFORMATION SO YOU CAN BUY ELSEWHERE WHICH YOU KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO DO BEFORE YOU WALKED BEFORE YOU WALKED IN, you are practicing bad ethics.

Does that make it clear, or are some of you going to continue to think browsing a store is what I mean?????
My ears are ringing.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
My ears are ringing.
Some people seemed to ignore half of what I said and kept repeating something I didn't say, so I thought shouting might get through to them, where repetition and reason had failed numerous times.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Some people are just jerks. How many of us have heard the stories of people buying an air mattress for guests, then returning it on Monday? I sure have! My friends who work in retail have told me that a liberal return policy will bring out the users and abusers . . . but yet . . . that liberal return policy can also be what draws me to a store, in case I get a lemon home.

I agree that some behaviors are just plain unethical, but sadly, there are people out there who think nothing of buying that $400 dress to wear to a party, tucking in the tickets, and then returning it on Monday. :-(
I had a guy buy a big TV just before Super Bowl Sunday, then return it the following week. We all knew what he had done, but our return policies allowed for it. He tried the same thing next year but didn't recognize me. I put "No returns for any reason, SB return from last year" on his receipt. He was furious when he tried to return it after SB Sunday, but I wouldn't let him do it, nor would the store manager. He finally called the owner who eventually allowed the return but banned him from the store permanently.
Quote:

Unethical to look around a store and compare prices? If it is, then I have been engaging in unethical behavior since I was about 7. I was raised to comparison shop. Every dollar counts. I even comparison shop at grocery stores - every week, actually. I won't buy an item at HT if I know I can get it cheaper at FL. (assuming i will have several items to buy at a different location - gas costs $$$ too)
You do understand that's not what I said, but what a couple others have repeated, don't you?

Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
I am stunned at the number of people who cannot grasp the point I've made several times, so I'll try it one last time:

If you go into a store

and only

again

AGAIN KNOWING YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT GOING TO BUY THERE AND ARE ONLY THERE TO GAIN INFORMATION SO YOU CAN BUY ELSEWHERE WHICH YOU KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO DO BEFORE YOU WALKED BEFORE YOU WALKED IN,

That is YOUR opinion.

Some people don't think it's bad ethics to get educated on a product you can buy for 50 to 100 dollars cheaper online.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:21 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:

If you go into a store

and only

again

I agree with you. My post was unrelated. My post was just saying that Best Buy lost a sale to me all by themselves. Also, their sales people knew less than me.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:22 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
That is YOUR opinion.

Some people don't think it's bad ethics to get educated on a product you can buy for 50 to 100 dollars cheaper online.

It absolutely is poor ethics to do so. You go into a b & m and USE that store and its staff to be selfish, obtain knowledge, hands-on experience....only to run home and purchase online to save a few dollars, is deplorable. That information you just obtained has great value. But being selfish and self-serving, one wouldn't stop to think of anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte