U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 06:40 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,372,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Normally at this point I'd say something like "we must agree to disagree" but since you STILL cant understand what I've posted several times, or think salespeople are intended to be doormats for you, we should just agree to stop discussing it. You can keep wasting people's time (it's not part of the process), and I'll keep disliking people that do it.

For the record I NEVER EVER go into a store with the intention of buying elsewhere, and spend time with their employees. NEVER. Yes I shop, but I know pricing before I go in anywhere, so that's not an issue. I understand people may not be buyers at that moment, but that was never my point.
If you never go into a store with the intention of buying elsewhere you are doing yourself a disservice as a consumer.

It's foolish to limit your decision making to what you think you "know" because every price reduction isn't in print or online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 07:11 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,336,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
As I understand it, Best Buy doesn't give employees a commission. Most retailers are moving away from the commission model. So that argument doesn't really stand up. I just don't see anyway to prevent the kind of activity you're talking about without hurting sales in a worse way.
I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:38 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,605,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I understand how NC attempts to collect the tax. NC also once required you to do the same for the Intangibles Tax which had the same Constitutional issues and which the courts later declared unconstitutional The state had to refund the tax collected. Unfortunately only a small number of people who actually volunteered to pay the tax, got their money back.

Merchants have always had to open their books to the IRS if needed. However IRS records are not used by states to assess sales tax nor does the IRS provide this information to states. That would also have legal issues as well.

You did not understand what I wrote....I said nothing about merchants opening their books.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:52 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,944,947 times
Quote:
Your fun fact actually isn't correct. States are not allowed to collect sales taxes on transactions in other states as defined by the US Constitution and upheld numerous times by the Supreme Court. In an effort to get around the pesky Constitution, NC imposed a "Use Tax" instead of a sales tax and this tax applies to anything imported into the state. This "use tax" is supposed to even apply to groceries that you might buy in SC and bring into NC. Of course it's unenforceable.
Amazon doesn't legally have to collect/report it since they don't have warehouses or affiliates in North Carolina. Since Amazon refuses to give up that information (claiming privacy issues), the states don't know what they should be collecting from it's residents.

The states are allowed to collect that tax if they want. The "use tax" is sales tax. The difference is the consumer pays it, not the retailer. Again, you are legally suppose to claim that tax. If you refuse, you are tax evading. Plain and simple.
Frequently Asked Questions - Use Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690
Maybe not for everything but for a lot of things. Example: Arkham City is still $59 at Best Buy but it is $35.27 on Amazon. These are both new unopened games. This game is well over a year old, if Best Buy lowered the price on older games I would be happy to buy them there.

Maybe other people can afford to spend an extra $14, but I can't.
I can't afford to pay that extra either. I am a smart shopper.

Your example...
Week of March 8 it was on sale for $30 at Best Buy. If you had the Gamer magazine, you had a coupon for $20. Thus, paying only $10 for it. Where was Amazon? Oh yeah no where to be found.

I bought mine on release for $60+tax with a $20 rewardzone coupon at Best Buy. I pricematched it 2 weeks later at $40. I traded it back in a week after that for $40. In other words, Best Buy paid me $20 to play the game. Again, how was Amazon anywhat comparable?

P.S. The game came out in October so only half a year ago.

Quote:
Even worse, Best Buy has one of the biggest flop games ever DJ Hero selling for 80 bucks. Amazon has it for 30. Same product, 50 bucks less in one place. Amazon will be lucky to ever get rid of it at their price, much less Best Buy.
Found at Best Buy and other retailers this past holiday season for $20 as part of a sales and clearance firesale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02
When it comes to TVs, you can just as easily buy from Costco or HH Greg or even Wal-Mart.
Costco has limited stock and requires membership. Wal-Mart/Target TVs are low budget and have limited stock. HHGregg would be lucky to survive further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc
The simple fact is that online items are almost always going to be less expensive than B&M products. The success of either venue is partially based on how big that difference is.
Could have said that a year or so ago but today I don't feel that. The only products I have found that online beats out B&M daily on (given that people actually pay their tax) is on cords/"addons" like HDMI cable, etc. That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideAnnie
Their Return Policies are the entire reason I will not shop at Best Buy!!!
What do you not like about it? 30 to 45 days (silver rewardzone membership) should be plenty of time to decide if you want the product or not. During that period, Best Buy allows you to get your money back if it goes on sale there or somewhere else (B&M). Show your receipt and get your money back. They are one of the few that do that practice without pushback from employees.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:06 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,121,564 times
I can't afford to pay that extra either. I am a smart shopper.

Your example...
Week of March 8 it was on sale for $30 at Best Buy. If you had the Gamer magazine, you had a coupon for $20. Thus, paying only $10 for it. Where was Amazon? Oh yeah no where to be found.

I bought mine on release for $60+tax with a $20 rewardzone coupon at Best Buy. I pricematched it 2 weeks later at $40. I traded it back in a week after that for $40. In other words, Best Buy paid me $20 to play the game. Again, how was Amazon anywhat comparable?

P.S. The game came out in October so only half a year ago.

You got me on the timeline, I thought it was October 2010.

You can work the trade in system for Amazon just the same as Best Buy. I think I got $5 bucks back on LA Noire when I traded it in. Beautiful game, but picking things up and looking at them got old pretty quick.

I get most of my games for free from Amazon through PTC sites so I will always get them from there. But, if you are the type to pay regular price, Amazon is (usually) lower.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:12 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,954,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Amazon doesn't legally have to collect/report it since they don't have warehouses or affiliates in North Carolina. Since Amazon refuses to give up that information (claiming privacy issues), the states don't know what they should be collecting from it's residents.

The states are allowed to collect that tax if they want. The "use tax" is sales tax. The difference is the consumer pays it, not the retailer. Again, you are legally suppose to claim that tax. If you refuse, you are tax evading. Plain and simple.
A use tax is not a sales tax. A use tax is placed on items imported into the state for use within the state. A use tax is not defined by who collects it. When you register a vehicle in NC, you pay a 3% Use Tax on the sales price of the vehicle and it is collected by the NCDOT before they will give you a tag. It is not determined by the owner and sent in on an income tax form. NC does not charge Sales Tax on vehicles.

After Perdue took office, her team took an obscure NC Use Tax law written in the 1930s and heavily modified it to turn this tax into an Amazon Tax. As you correctly state Amazon isn't required to report it. This law also requires you to pay tax on ANYTHING you might bring into NC regardless of how it was purchased. How many people do you think report that as well?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,944,947 times
Quote:
A use tax is not a sales tax.
By definition, sure. But reality...
Sales and Use Tax Rates Effective January 1, 2012

Quote:
A use tax is not defined by who collects it.
So a retailer would pay it?

Quote:
When you register a vehicle in NC, you pay a 3% Highway Use Tax on the sales price of the vehicle and it is collected by the NCDOT before they will give you a tag. It is not determined by the owner and sent in on an income tax form. NC does not charge Sales Tax on vehicles.
Corrected a portion. It takes the place of Sales Tax. Completely unrelated to use tax on consumer goods, which again reflect a rate of sales tax.

Quote:
This law also requires you to pay tax on ANYTHING you might bring into NC regardless of how it was purchased. How many people do you think report that as well?
Wrong. The true Use Tax only applies essentially for consumer goods where...
".... whether purchased by mail order, catalog, shopping networks, or on the internet."
Frequently Asked Questions - Use Tax

In other words... for goods coming from places where a sales tax was most likely not collected.

At least you finally recognize you are suppose to claim those internet purchases on your taxes...

Old 03-30-2012, 10:14 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,954,000 times
ncopus99, I don't care to get into line by line rebuttal battles. I've stated the differences between a sales tax and the use tax as enacted by NC. It's up to the party making a purchase if they think it applies to their Amazon or any online purchase. I'm not here to debate that. On the other hand the sales taxes that one pays in Best Buy are not up for debate as these are forced on people regardless of where they might be used or where the person resides.

These stores are hurting due to this high taxation which was my entire point in the first place. I consider it a disadvantage that NC decides to tax BB at the rate it does, not an advantage to Amazon.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,279,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I don't understand what point you're trying to make.
My point is that the cat is already out of the bag and complaining about ethics doesn't really make sense. Best Buy employees are paid the same no matter how much they sell or don't sell.

The only way you could prevent people from getting information about a product then buying the product elsewhere is by charging them for that information in-store. People would be unwilling to pay for that information (we've been conditioned to think that information is free.) You would see Best Buy's sales plummet.

Is it unethical for us to read online newspapers? After all, we aren't paying for the service, but we're reaping the benefits of someone's labor?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:41 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
I will glady pay more for an item if it means excellent customer service, good return policy, standing by warranty, etc.

Now, paying more for a product (whether online or B&M) when I don't get the assistance I need, can't return a product, high shipping, etc . . . then that is a problem.

Some things purchased online end up being more expensive than buying from a B&M store.

A smart merchant will have nice merchandise displays and informed sales people who also entice the consumer to look at other items while in the store.

Studies show, the longer you stay in a store, the more likely you are to buy something. So even if someone goes into a B&M store and decides to buy online (or went there with the intention to buy online) - it doesn't mean that he/she won't buy other items while in the store.

Some people are just jerks. How many of us have heard the stories of people buying an air mattress for guests, then returning it on Monday? I sure have! My friends who work in retail have told me that a liberal return policy will bring out the users and abusers . . . but yet . . . that liberal return policy can also be what draws me to a store, in case I get a lemon home.

I agree that some behaviors are just plain unethical, but sadly, there are people out there who think nothing of buying that $400 dress to wear to a party, tucking in the tickets, and then returning it on Monday. :-(

Sad but true.

I like Best Buy. I also like Amazon, QVC, HSN, etc. B&M have their place as do online merchants . . . but the problem is with consumers who will be real asses at times to save $50.

Unethical to look around a store and compare prices? If it is, then I have been engaging in unethical behavior since I was about 7. I was raised to comparison shop. Every dollar counts. I even comparison shop at grocery stores - every week, actually. I won't buy an item at HT if I know I can get it cheaper at FL. (assuming i will have several items to buy at a different location - gas costs $$$ too)

Last edited by brokensky; 03-30-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or