Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 01:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree with you. My post was unrelated. My post was just saying that Best Buy lost a sale to me all by themselves. Also, their sales people knew less than me.
I agree that BB lost your sale all through their own failures, and I have no sympathy for that. I've made mistakes that cost me sales, large and small, and have no one to blame but myself (or sometimes the company getting in the way of a sale).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
It absolutely is poor ethics to do so. You go into a b & m and USE that store and its staff to be selfish, obtain knowledge, hands-on experience....only to run home and purchase online to save a few dollars, is deplorable. That information you just obtained has great value. But being selfish and self-serving, one wouldn't stop to think of anyone else.
To be clear, my gripe is about knowing one is buying elsewhere when one walks in. That being said...

You said it. Some people have ethics and integrity, and some have no consideration for others. But make it their time and resources wasted, and it may be a very different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:10 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
It absolutely is poor ethics to do so. You go into a b & m and USE that store and its staff to be selfish, obtain knowledge, hands-on experience....only to run home and purchase online to save a few dollars, is deplorable. That information you just obtained has great value. But being selfish and self-serving, one wouldn't stop to think of anyone else.
LOL... You make it sound like I'm locking the door and holding the whole store hostage.

I'd much rather be selfish and self-serving and save money then be an honorable sucker who overpays for a product that is 100 bucks cheaper online.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
LOL... You make it sound like I'm locking the door and holding the whole store hostage.

I'd much rather be selfish and self-serving and save money then be an honorable sucker who overpays for a product that is 100 bucks cheaper online.

No, I don't make it sound like that. Do you hear yourself? Are you proud for being so selfish to take the resources of your local merchant only to offer them nothing in return for their time, knowledge and offering you that brick and mortar experience? You realize that, that online store has little to no over head with no store front, so of course they are going to be cheaper? Do you have that little of a clue as to the cost of doing business?

Old 03-30-2012, 03:00 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
No, I don't make it sound like that. Do you hear yourself? Are you proud for being so selfish to take the resource of your local merchant only to offer them nothing in return for their time, knowledge and offering you that brick and mortar experience? You realize that, that online store has little to no over head with no store front, so of course they are going to be cheaper? Do you have that little of a clue as to the cost of doing business?
Brick and mortar? We're talking electronics here ...

I think people understand that online retailers have much lower overhead, and that the volume they handle entitles them to buy direct, for next to nothing.

The question (perhaps not in the original poster's case, but certainly in the case of most consumers) is: how can I serve my interests in the near term; everyone else be damned.

Most people bemoan the loss of mom and pop stores; they bemoan having to wait on long lines at big box retailers; they bemoan the state that the economy's in. But when it comes to DOING something about it, it's easier to lecture everyone else on helping humanity, planting a tree, or using paper bags at the grocery store - than it is to do something of substance to help the local community.

Again, the above comment has nothing to do with any single poster on the board; it's simply a general statement on what I've recognized as common consumer behavior.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:26 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Intent means nothing. I can go to 10 stores WITH the intent of buying something, taking the sales person's time, playing with the buttons and knobs, but if I leave with nothing from 9 of them the result is exaclty the same as if I entered the store without intending to buy anything.

A perfect example - buying a new car. People go to many different dealers, but ultimately only one car is purchased and the effect is the same for the dealers that didn't get the busniess - time was taken, but no sale.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:56 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
If someone walks into a store for whatever reason, then it is the store's opportunity to change the non-buyer into a buyer. Plenty of people walk into stores with no intent to buy anything but they go to window shop, comparison shop, browse, look for something they didn't know they needed. If Best Buy can't figure out how to make a sale to someone like this, then I'd say they have issues that go well beyond the Internet.

Like most big box retailers, BB put the mom & pop retailers out of business by offering low service in return for low prices via volume. People said mom & pop need to adapt. Now, on-line come along that promises even lower service in return for lower prices and we are suppose to shed a tear for Best Buy because they can't adapt? I'd say that Best Buy, with a live honest go goodness human inside their store, has a stellar opportunity convince that person to make the sale now over going home and dealing with on-line sales. Amazon does after all compete with 1000s of other websites.

Instead of blaming it on poor ethics of people, which they had no issue with when it was mom & pop, they ought to be trying to figure out how to have a business plan to take advantage of it. If they don't, they will be joining mom & pop.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Certain items are just the same price whether at Best Buy or online. I actually purchase items at Best Buy live in the store, and I am sure many people still do. But I also purchase online. Stores have to be realistic and expect people to price compare/shop. As a PP mentioned, once you are at the store and really want that item, are you going to go back online to save a couple of dollars? Guessing most people will just get it right then and there.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:21 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
As a PP mentioned, once you are at the store and really want that item, are you going to go back online to save a couple of dollars? Guessing most people will just get it right then and there.
If there is a huge spread in price you'd be foolish to just buy it right then and there for instant gratification.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:25 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
If there is a huge spread in price you'd be foolish to just buy it right then and there for instant gratification.
Agree! Big difference: I go online (or wherever cheaper, which is usually online). Not sure what we did before the dawn of Amazon

Old 03-30-2012, 04:25 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
No, I don't make it sound like that. Do you hear yourself? Are you proud for being so selfish to take the resources of your local merchant only to offer them nothing in return for their time, knowledge and offering you that brick and mortar experience? You realize that, that online store has little to no over head with no store front, so of course they are going to be cheaper? Do you have that little of a clue as to the cost of doing business?
Stop being dramatic.

I serious doubt you are so ethical that you only walk into a store when you intend to purchase something.

You act like it takes 4 hours to get the specs on electric equipment. what resources am I draining? LOL.

A previous post said it perfectly. If you don't walk out with a product everytime you go in a store what makes you so ethical and the next guy so unethical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte