U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,586,218 times

Advertisements

BEST BUY IMPLODES: Misses Revenue, Firing 400, Closing 50 Stores

Quote:
Electronics retailer Best Buy announced it would close 50 big box locations in the U.S. as it refocuses its operations around mobile.
The company said it will launch 100 new mobile locations as it retools its domestic store format.
The announcement was timed with the company's fourth quarter report, where it sharply beat analyst expectations on the bottom line....
Quote:
...Best Buy has rapidly been trying to turn its operations around as it has seen peers CompUSA and Circuit City fail. Consumers have been using its locations as a testing ground for products before making final purchases at competitors like Amazon and Walmart...
BEST BUY IMPLODES: Misses Revenue, Firing 400, Closing 50 Stores - Yahoo! Finance

I feel bad for BB since too many people take unfair advantage of their lax return policies...
Let's hope that Charlotte area will not be affected and potential layoffs people will get a job in the new mobile locations...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,128,863 times
Yes, poor Best Buy. I'm sure it is their lax return policies that did them in and not the wave after wave of warranty/upsell pitches that one had to endure when purchasing an item there. If you annoy your customers, what do you expect.

Real pitch from a BB clerk to me: Hey, I see you are buying a $20 pair of headphones would you like a $5 replacement plan?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:53 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,345,517 times
IMPLODES????? Hardly. What a ridiculous headline. They're changing their focus, and responding to the market. Companies that don't do that actually do implode. I know firsthand, since I worked for one.

I've always had an issue with shoppers who go into a B&M store to do their research, wasting the time of those employees, and then buy online. It's unethical. To anyone who thinks otherwise, ask yourself this-if you had a store, would you be OK with people doing it to you?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:01 PM

11,751 posts, read 9,378,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
IMPLODES????? Hardly. What a ridiculous headline. They're changing their focus, and responding to the market. Companies that don't do that actually do implode. I know firsthand, since I worked for one.

I've always had an issue with shoppers who go into a B&M store to do their research, wasting the time of those employees, and then buy online. It's unethical. To anyone who thinks otherwise, ask yourself this-if you had a store, would you be OK with people doing it to you?
How is it unethical? You mean to tell me you never set foot in a store unless you are purchasing a product?

I would love to have tons of people in my store asking questions and testing the products. I'd rather have a packed store than an empty one.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,345,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
How is it unethical? You mean to tell me you never set foot in a store unless you are purchasing a product?

I would love to have tons of people in my store asking questions and testing the products. I'd rather have a packed store than an empty one.
That's not what I said, is it? No, it isn't. Go read my post again.

Empty or packed, if people are buying elsewhere because of (perceived, often) lower prices, you go out of business.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:16 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,074,141 times
Best buy would have been best suited to agree to match Amazon's pricing (amazon only, no 3rd party vendors), while touting their ability to provide the item immediately, instead of having to wait for shipping.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,861,348 times
Unless you require instant gratification, then there is no real reason to buy any major electronics at Best Buy. Due to how high their prices are in comparison to online venues, their stores are becoming more of a showroom for people to try out devices and then proceed to buy online.

Everyone wants to save money. There is no point to buy a $1000 laptop at Best Buy when it can be had online somewhere for $800.

This current move isn't imploding, it's them adjusting their strategy. As the electronics world continues to go towards all things digital and online, B&Ms like Best Buy will have to continue to find ways to adapt or fade away.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 PM

104 posts, read 272,633 times
Quote:

YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING RIGHT?

I would certainly be ok with someone walking in my store and ultimately choosing to purchase elsewhere. It would be silly to think otherwise.

Consumers will not and should not feel obligated to buy something just because they want a closer look at the item.

If they have or had such a big problem with that then they should charge admission like a warehouse club

I will continue to come look touch and leave and will not in the least bit feel bad about it.......

Old 03-29-2012, 01:44 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,880,895 times
Customer Service is the key.

The reinvented Compusa, has terminals for you to check the prices and reviews of everywhere else in the store.

For long enough best buy was hiring youngsters, they may or may not know technology but they sure do not know how to talk to customers.

The severe lack of service drove me away from best buy.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:55 PM

40,107 posts, read 24,354,028 times
Quote:
That's not what I said, is it? No, it isn't. Go read my post again.

Empty or packed, if people are buying elsewhere because of (perceived, often) lower prices, you go out of business.
Getting them in the store is half the battle. Best Buy gets them in, they have the first chance to close the sale. They aren't closing the sale, and that's what they have to resolve. The foot traffic in the store is a POSITIVE, not a NEGATIVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or