U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 PM

9 posts, read 13,238 times

Advertisements

How is Charlotte and it's surrounding areas for entry level work? I graduated college with a History Bachelors, and have very little real work experience aside from 4 years working in Korea as an English Teacher (I don't have a US teachers license, so that's a no go), and various retail jobs during HS and University.

I lived in Charlotte for a few years in elementary school and loved it. I'm currently in Ohio, which I hate and have few work prospects. I'm pretty open to any type of entry job, aside form pure commission sales positions. I'd also consider Raleigh or other NC cities.

I hear the area is booming, but would like the perspective from someone actually there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 PM

222 posts, read 438,605 times
Charlotte is a burgeoning community with folks from all over the country relocating here. I moved here two years ago because of my line of work. The low cost of living plus the economic opportunities make Charlotte a very popular place for scores of transplants. That said, you have to realize that "entry level" work is very, very scarce everywhere nowadays. The recession that our country is going through is the worst since the 1930s and people with lots of experience are fighting for jobs that would normally go to entry level employees. So I would try to find a job first before you decide to pick up and move here.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:53 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,517,491 times
Charlotte's economy is MUCH worse than the national average right now due to the fact this was the epicentre of the financial crisis with Bank of America and Wachovia both being headquartered here. If you want a career here, have a job before you come. If you don't, you may end up finding something but it wont be the kind of job you want. I've been underemployed since I moved here in 2009 and while I love Charlotte, I am pretty much stuck. Entry level jobs are extremely competitive with thousands of resumes for each open position. Raleigh has a better economy and doesn't seem to be as affected by the recession as Charlotte is. I am hoping things turn around here soon.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 AM

34 posts, read 49,885 times
I agree with the above commenters. For every entry level job here you will be competing with hundreds of other people. I live north of Charlotte & this area was hit hard by a couple of large company shutdowns in the last few years so it's been tough.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:22 AM

184 posts, read 395,000 times
This article from the Observer talks about the NC unemployment rate North Carolina unemployment rate falls below 10 percent | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

It might help give you an idea of the job market here. I agree, I wouldn't move unless you have a job secured. I used to wait tables or bartend when I needed quick, easy $$. If you do decide to visit, there are sites that connect you to people who rent an extra room from their homes for $50 - 100/night. GL!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:22 AM

7,041 posts, read 12,756,511 times
Just another confirmation of the above. Entry-level jobs are hard to come by and when you get one, the pay is so low, you can hardly survive. My son was out of work as a customer service person for 3 years. Now that he has work, he is making the same wage that he did 15 years ago working for a fast-food restaurant. (he has over 10 years of experience as a CSA).

By all means, have your job secured before coming here!

Old 04-01-2012, 11:50 AM

9 posts, read 13,238 times
Well, that's a bit disheartening. Is Raleigh any better off in this area?

Old 04-01-2012, 11:53 AM

20,378 posts, read 25,467,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander101 View Post
Overall, it's bad all over, with the exception of North Dakota.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:54 AM

7,946 posts, read 14,517,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander101 View Post
Yeah, Raleigh almost didn't even have a recession in comparison with Charlotte. If the state unemployment level has fallen below 10%, its probably because of job growth in the Triangle and not Charlotte, which is still suffering from the financial crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or