Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 08:43 PM

22 posts, read 62,697 times

Advertisements

my wife and I are relocating to Charlotte in Spring/Summer 08 and the canvas is wide open in terms of our house / area choices. We are looking at South Charlotte (Myers Park, Eastover etc) but recently have learned a bit about Davidson, Cornelius and Huntersville. The question is when is the northern arch of the 485 slated to be connected to huntersville exit?(I-85 to I77?) There are some conflicting reports on the web.
My office is in southwest region of charlotte, vicinity of Tryon and Westinghouse Blvd. Obviously a commute from Lake Norman area will benefit from this road opening. i heard from a broker that the road is likely opening in 2008, is this true?
Second, is there anyone out there that does this kind of commute and is waiting for the road to open. It seems most of the posters commute (and complain) about the traffic along I-77, but they also tend to be working in Uptown.
thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 10:48 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,585,075 times
i really doubt you will be taking the new i-485..you will run into a lot of traffic from i-85 getting on.

I used to work in ballantyne...and i would take i-77 to 485....

485 is a huge circle.....so it might not be worth the effort of going all the way out west.

I go by the construction once a week...and it looks like they can complete it within 6months-1yr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robiewan View Post
my wife and I are relocating to Charlotte in Spring/Summer 08 and the canvas is wide open in terms of our house / area choices. We are looking at South Charlotte (Myers Park, Eastover etc) but recently have learned a bit about Davidson, Cornelius and Huntersville. The question is when is the northern arch of the 485 slated to be connected to huntersville exit?(I-85 to I77?) There are some conflicting reports on the web.
My office is in southwest region of charlotte, vicinity of Tryon and Westinghouse Blvd. Obviously a commute from Lake Norman area will benefit from this road opening. i heard from a broker that the road is likely opening in 2008, is this true?
Second, is there anyone out there that does this kind of commute and is waiting for the road to open. It seems most of the posters commute (and complain) about the traffic along I-77, but they also tend to be working in Uptown.
thanks in advance

Old 09-13-2007, 04:46 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,767,094 times
If your plans are to work in Southwest Charlotte it would not be in your best "commute" interests to live North of Charlotte. The travel time to and from would add a lot to your day. The best bet would be to stay on the South Charlotte side of town.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:25 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,613 times
I agree that you probably don't want to live in Huntersville and work in Steele Creek. Have you looked in the Palisades or the Sanctuary? Even once 485 is complete, the most direct route between the two areas will be 77 and the traffic from Huntersville to downtown would be pretty bad. And then you'd have an additional 10-12 miles to go from there.

Steele Creek is growing a lot right now in terms of shopping and restaurants, etc. Lake Wylie is a wonderful lake. Give it a look-see.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 AM

101 posts, read 300,774 times
I understand that there are some nice areas North of the city.. and I'm not telling you can't live there, but I would like to think there would be something closer to work that would fit everything your looking for. This would save you alot of traffic headaches plus give you some extra time each day for either quality time with the family or just relaxing.

Good Luck.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:20 AM

22 posts, read 62,697 times
thanks for your comments, the quality of life (relaxing with family, etc) is key. my wife and I have 6 month old twin girls so the more time i can spend with them is important.

many people have warned me off about the north side, i think it is a pipe dream and probably not worth the effort

Old 09-13-2007, 01:07 PM

16 posts, read 61,061 times
I live in Huntersville and work in Ballantyne, I use I-485 on the West side exclusively. I learned a few back roads and I can get from my home to Ballantyne in about 30 minutes. I avoid I-77 and I-85 during morning and evening rush hours and it is a much more relaxed commute. Also there is nothing wrong with the Huntersville area which is North of Charlotte, it has been one of the more desirable areas for a while. You can still find a decent lot, and there is far far far less traffic than South Charlotte, crime rates are also comparable. I would not consider going as far as Davidson if I worked in South Charlotte, I-77 would be just about your only option for years to come and it's literally a parking lot between 6-9 am and 4-6 pm. Hope this helps.......

Regards,

Ken

Old 09-13-2007, 02:16 PM

255 posts, read 885,345 times
Check out Berewick - Location. Location. Lifestyle.

Or maybe the The Palisades | New Homes in Charlotte NC (Lake Wylie)

Both are very nice Lake Wylie communities extremely close to your work area.

Lake Norman would be a 45 to an hour commute each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte