U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:35 PM

156 posts, read 262,281 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
I'm hoping for a little insight. We are looking into two homes in different developments. One development has a beautiful rec. center with great amenities(pool, tennis courts, etc). The other does Not have community amenities but it is a gated community...with this particular home having a lovely pool in the yard. Question: Do you often use your amenities in your development??? or is it an over-rated feature?
Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:06 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,641,651 times
amenities to me are NOT overrated.....I cant wait till my pool opens up in May so I can crack open a few cold ones after work!

There are tons of people on this board who live in HOA developments in Union County. You dont have to give your name, but it wouldn't hurt if you mentioned the developments....MikeyKid is a poster from the island who has a ton of knowledge of the various developments....look into sending him a DM....

if you still are uncomfortable, just do a search via threads on the developments you're interested....good luck!

Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,285,045 times
We have kids and use the pool almost every day in the summer. The playground we no longer use, but the kids did enjoy it when they were younger. We've never used the tennis courts or basket ball court.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:20 PM

79 posts, read 248,778 times
We use our community pool when it's open. In addition, our HOA will host community functions at our amenities center and pool. I only wish we had a basketball court since we don't play tennis.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:54 PM

999 posts, read 4,253,048 times
We used to have a pool in our yard (in CT....so we got to use it about 8 weeks a year), now we have a community with amenities.....Personally, I'd rather a pool in my yard any day over a community pool. Pools are NOT as much work as people will lead you to believe. Most weeks I spent about an hour caring for the pool we had, and the cost of chemicals etc was not a lot either.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,144,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
We used to have a pool in our yard (in CT....so we got to use it about 8 weeks a year), now we have a community with amenities.....Personally, I'd rather a pool in my yard any day over a community pool. Pools are NOT as much work as people will lead you to believe. Most weeks I spent about an hour caring for the pool we had, and the cost of chemicals etc was not a lot either.
I'm with you. It is better for entertaining when you have your own pool and spa in the back yard. We built a deck and outdoor kitchen with a large stone fireplace. We host a lot neighborhood get togethers. Horseshoes and Cornhole tourneys etc. Couldn't do that I don't think at a community pool.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 PM

129 posts, read 193,273 times
Personally I'd prefer a pool in my yard when we go to buy and I had a choice of the two I would go with the pool. Friends of us have just bought a house which has a golf course and pool etc but their new home has its own amazing pool also which they just get up in the morning and use. Its more convenient and its great for parties.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 AM

985 posts, read 1,649,893 times
we use our pool daily I would guess. the kids also all congregate in the basketball area to either shoot hoops or to skateboard. Tennis seems to be used all the time..we use it occasionally. There are neighborhoods that have a weight room etc, I know that live there love them and you don't have to join somewhere else. My daughter was working out with her friend at the one in her neighborhood. A pool in the yard isn't for us, unless you could fit a lacrosse set up, a volleyball court and a pool...but that isn't going to happen. So we don't mind not having a pool and walking down to meet the friends at the pool isn't that bad either. Seems everyday they are hanging out with someone different at the pool and that helps build the friendships etc.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,412,612 times
Give us some more clues and let's see if we can guess the names of the developments.

I love the pool and amenities, they're great. The only down side for us (my wife and I talk about this) is that the community pool is limited in both hours and days. If you like a nice nighttime swim or out of season (it's generally warm enough here to swim in much of the Spring and Fall), you'll see benefits in having your own pool. But don't forget that pools are a bit expensive from a maintenance perspective. It's pros and cons.

Beyond that it's a social event to be at the pool with all the kids playing. It's fun... Many communities have a swim team where they have swim meets and compete against other communities with pools. It's tons of fun.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,922,221 times
I'm not in Union but we belong to our neighborhood swim/tennis club and can't recommend it enough. Pretty much every friend I've made in this neighborhood I made at the pool. We use it constantly during the summer. We don't play tennis but still see it as an amazing value. The swim team is great and the year-round socials are so much fun. We would get bored in our backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or