U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:00 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,248 posts, read 4,511,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
...Adream -- some boy asked her out last week and I guess she might have been listening when she told him 'no' my dad says I'm too young to date... I'll be polishing the shotgun when the first boy finally does come over... I'll have to get some additional tips from your hubby..

Mark
Well you could always use the Cosby Show Cliff Huxtable approach to dating. Sit the boy down at the kitchen table, get two apples, point to him as being one apple, and then slice it in half if it gets to close to the other apple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2006, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,619 times
Default Relocating to NC!!-can't wait!

Markh--loved the post!! it was a barrel of laughs. I'm glad you like it there. I'll be relocating there hopefully by the end of this year but no later than Feb. 07. along with a few other families. I refuse to spend another year in Wisconsin. I've been here 8 years too long! I've been researching the state for some time now. Can't wait to say good-bye to this one-horse jacked up city!

Old 09-28-2006, 01:23 PM

214 posts, read 428,969 times
As the soon to be first time (older ;-)) mom of a girl, I just want to thank everyone for the enlightenment. Perhaps I can return her for a boy? (just kidding). I'm getting a better feel every day of the area thanks to all the great posts and some amusement as well. What a difference from Miami.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:53 PM

2,295 posts, read 139,783 times
I'll be coming soon........hope you have a big party! I'll be a few miles from you.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:58 PM

1,117 posts, read 3,142,248 times
Quote:
Adream -- some boy asked her out last week and I guess she might have been listening when she told him 'no' my dad says I'm too young to date... I'll be polishing the shotgun when the first boy finally does come over... I'll have to get some additional tips from your hubby...Mark
She's a good girl! The boy can't argue with the ol' "my dad says I'm too young to date" response. Mark, my DH would be more than happy to split a six pack of cold Heinekens and discuss how to scare the boys who are interested in your daughter. He has refined some effective techniques over the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well you could always use the Cosby Show Cliff Huxtable approach to dating. Sit the boy down at the kitchen table, get two apples, point to him as being one apple, and then slice it in half if it gets to close to the other apple
Isn't that a classic? I just love that show, and that is an image that stays with you!
(We saw Cosby in person this summer, and I was like a kid seeing a rock star! He was great!)

Old 10-02-2006, 09:03 AM

3 posts, read 13,085 times
You sound like a hoot. Would love to be your neighbor but am looking a bit further west, close to Asheville. Did you move to Huntersville to go to Nascar in Charlotte?
My daughter is 16 and believe me, you'll be drinking more beer(Is it noon yet?) when she approaches 14. It's not pretty, but it does get better. Or maybe it just seems better because of all the beer! lol
Can you tell me how you chose Huntersville?

Old 10-02-2006, 02:25 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,181,350 times
I really think we should consider just dropping the number 14 from out system of counting altogether. It should just be decomissioned. Imagine how great it would be if there were never again a 14 year old girl making her parents age at 4 times the normal rate.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:08 AM

527 posts, read 1,200,898 times
Although this isn't specifically NC related it kind of is..

One of our reasons for moving was getting into a neighborhood with more kids.. We we're pretty well distanced in Mass and not many kids so around us so we had to drive to see other kids..

There are so many kids in our new neighborhood here that we had a truck drop off halloween candy so we'd have enough. It's gonna be hellish..

I've determined that the best approach to save some candy for myself is to sit out front steps with no shirt on and drink beer after beer and throw the empties on the front walk so that those whose parents will even let them come close will have to watch them make it through the minefield of empties. Maybe I can bring my little tv out there and watch Maury or Jerry Springer and yell at the tv.

I'm trying to think of how I can make a costume that makes it look like I have a shovel going through my chest and out my back or a pick or something like that sticking into my chest. With either costume it'll be hard to sit down on a regular chair so I'll have to bring out my nascar bar stool. Either way I'll have to make sure that I don't turn fast enough to whack some candy grabbing little troll in the head.

I remember when kids used to say trick or treat. Now they come to the door and stare at you. You may faintly hear a trick or treat mumble from someone or a parent in the background. If you ask em, "What do you say?", it's met with blank stares. They don't even say thank you anymore. Maybe I should make popcorn balls for all of em and see how they like that. Even back in the 70's our parents wouldn't let us eat anything homemade so now parents will probably toss the whole bag of candy out since it may be contaminated with chemicals from saran wrap. Sorry sugar pie honey but little Bobby Ray Jr the 3rd is allergy to plastic.

I got off on a rant for a second but this was mainly about kids in the neighborhood and the 'young girl' natural selection process. When I thought it couldn't get worse with the 'selection process', it did.

I was outside and there were about 8 girls out in front of the house chit chatting away. All of them are about the same age but there were a couple of dreaded 4th graders hanging out with the 5th, 6th and 7th graders. Definate outcasts right from the start. 5th graders are marginal also so I'm told..

We have a fridge in the garage that we keep soda and water in. Well, all the girls are drinking soda, eating snacks and having a ball. I went inside and was doing some stuff and noticed that my daughter wasn't outside anymore. She was upstairs in her room with a few of the select. There were still 3 or 4 girls meandering outside like they were waiting for something. I called my daughter downstairs and told her that some of her friends were still outside and she glances out and says, 'They'll leave eventually when we don't come back out'. My jaw hit the floor. Apparently to blow off the others they said they'd be right back, ran inside and left the others outside figuring that they'd leave eventually. Not that I wanted all 8 of them in the house anyway but still..

I guess in one way or another I did this stuff when I was a young too. I felt bad for the outcasts and although I wanted to intervene I didn't. Next day the outcasts were in the 'in' crowd and allowed into the palace of trash (daughters room) and all was right again..

The others eventually did leave, leaving behind barely touched cans of soda, wrappers, water bottles and other stuff that didn't come from our house. It was like starwars where they jettisoned the trash before moving on to the next galaxy. Oh, we're leaving... Drop all trash and move along..

I did learn a valubable lessons about sleepovers.. Never let boys and girls sleep over on the same night. I'll have to tell you about the sleepover when I have more time..

Old 10-03-2006, 10:58 AM

1,117 posts, read 3,142,248 times
Quote:
There are so many kids in our new neighborhood here that we had a truck drop off halloween candy so we'd have enough. It's gonna be hellish..

I've determined that the best approach to save some candy for myself is to sit out front steps with no shirt on and drink beer after beer and throw the empties on the front walk so that those whose parents will even let them come close will have to watch them make it through the minefield of empties.

I'm trying to think of how I can make a costume that makes it look like I have a shovel going through my chest and out my back or a pick or something like that sticking into my chest.
Mark! You are a sick, sick man!! I knew I liked you.

When we start our visits to NC, I think we'll check out your neighborhood first!

Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 PM

1,574 posts, read 3,173,118 times
I can't believe you dug deep into that sick, twisted (awesome) mind of yours and came up with popcorn balls. I would've never remembered those things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte