Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:07 PM

543 posts, read 1,821,901 times

Advertisements

Okay, so after being here for approximately 10 weeks, we still love it here.
Our neighborhood is into phase 2 of development and is stilll kinda new around our end of the hood, lots of empty half built houses.. Our kids are settled into school, utility and cable bills are rolling in, got our first avon catalog -- our move is official..

We've got a few neighbors and they're all nice but real lightweights when it comes time to have a couple of beers and sitting around and talking about the good old days. You know, walking up hill both ways to school (I actually did that), having to plow a field by myself (did that too), castrating donkeys in the backyard (didn't do this one), etc..

I know a lot of you all are looking down here for places to live and can't decide where to look or go for your housing needs so I thought I'd tell you about the house next door to us.

The place next door to us is brand spanking new -- I can still hear the faint echos of la-bamba playing from the carpet guys who were there last week. It still has that new chimichanga smell that we all love so much...

It's also got corian counter tops, gleaming chrome plastic faucet fixtures, standard get your wife drunk rug burn carpets and last but not least - vinyl siding!! No more painting.

Not to be too weird but I decided that it would be in our best interest to take applications for people who are interested in living next to us.

I've devised a simple yet complex set of questions to test not only your emotional stability but also your tolerence for stupidity, so here goes..

1) Do you own more tools than me?
2) Can I borrow them?
3) If I keep a tool longer than 10 days does it become mine?
4) Can I loan it to others without asking?
5) Do you have young daughters?
( see, right away you were thinking that I was some kind of strange balding old fat pervert but I was thinking that my daugther is 12 and could always use more friends)

Not to go off on a tangent but I have finally determined that little girls are viscous... Maybe it's just the way I see it or the way my daughter ignores me and I want to push her out of the car. Before moving here my daughters friends all lived far enough away that you had to 'schedule' time for them to get together. Scheduled pickup and dropoffs, Sleepovers were precise and checklist driven. Here, it's different and part of the reason that we moved...

The doorbell rings and there are all kinds of kids at the door.. My son welcomes all other young dirt encrusted pre-pubescent, playstation playing boys with glee. Just another somebody to see who can make a hand print highest on the wall and shovel in whatever morsels of food that are left unguarded. Another participant to see who can make my wife yell the loudest to make them stop jumping, running, farting, snorting, yelling etc.. I can almost time it from their entry in the front door to the 'Why don't you guys go outside and play?' question from her. My son hasn't figured out the monthly time frame yet. Someday he'll be glad to join me on my monthly garage cleaning day(s). So far he's clueless and takes the abuse. Not that it took me over 15 years to realize that standing in the garage for 8 hours with a pushbroom in my hand and staring blankly onto the driveway was safer than trying to help in the house with something.

Back to the daughter thing.

Our daughter on the other hand is different story.. She'll get some 'friends' dinging the doorbell and based on an opinion formed within .7 seconds she'll decide whether or not they are worthy to be in her presence or not... Uhh, sorry you who I have never met before, but I am extremely busy watching tv and eating yodels so I'll see you at some other time.. Bye, later, slam.. I'll mention that she was kind of rude in talking to so and so and I'll get the standard evil glare of disbelief then a Marsha Brady hair flip as she strolls back to whatever non-helpful task she was involved with before she was interrupted.

6) Can you drink a beer or two on a Tuesday night. (This is not a strict requirement and drinking on a school night is not the norm but it in itself is a test of your ability to not leave me alone and have to actually talk to my wife. (Just kidding Honey bunny if you're reading this))

7) Does your wife mind if I wear my mirrored sunglasses when her 18 year old neice comes to visit? (just kidding!!!)

Hrrmmm.. I guess being a simpleton is good cause that's all the questions that I have for the moment. I'll come up with more depending on what tools you have.

I hope you all realize that my post is all in fun (except for wanting to push my 12 year old daughter out of the car)

We really love it here in Huntersville and there really is a beautiful 3 br house next to us for sale and I think that a savvy buyer could really get a deal on it since sales seemed to have slowed down a bit.

Just wondering, has anyone eaten and Max and Erma's and liked it?

Last edited by Markh; 09-16-2006 at 11:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 11:26 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,533,232 times
Mark, thanks for the huge laugh. I like your update. Ringing the door to play play station- I'm reminiscing about the old artari 400 days-anyone remember "Combat" (circa early 80s).

What floor plan is the home next to you? When we first were looking in the Charlotte area, we stayed in Huntersville for quite some time, and really liked your community and the plans offered there.

I can't vouch for a tuesday night, but we are back on Monday night football, you set something up and I'm sure you'll get about 3 dozen or so people looking for free pizza

Old 09-17-2006, 08:00 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,074,095 times
Mark,

Wonderfully cute update. Glad you're enjoying your neighborhood/community.

And yes, 12-year-old girls are vicious ... fantasizing abut pushing them out of moving cars is allowed.

Wish we were moving closer ... my Aaron would love to drink beer with you on ANY night, no special occasion needed.

SL

Old 09-17-2006, 09:57 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,569,914 times
I've been here almost 12 years and I'm still waiting to have neighbors that stick around long enough to even have that relationship. People tend to go through at least 3 houses after they move down (or up, or over, depending on where they are coming from) here. It's just part of the culture.... when people get "bored" with thier house or neighborhood, and see all of the brand new ones building up right around them; they move on. I'm guilty too..... I've lived in 2 apartments and 4 houses since I've been here.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:11 PM

2,187 posts, read 7,995,360 times
LOL! Loved the update. Too bad we are in the Raleigh area (I loved Huntersville when we looked down there) My husband thinks he has died and gone to heaven as his office breaks out the beer every Friday evening! We move into our house tomorrow and have met most of the neighbors already and they have been very social and friendly and are waiting for us to put our built in outdoor grill in! (see I couldn't say BBQ since we are now living in the south where BBQ is not a verb)!

Old 09-17-2006, 02:01 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I've been here almost 12 years and I'm still waiting to have neighbors that stick around long enough to even have that relationship. People tend to go through at least 3 houses after they move down (or up, or over, depending on where they are coming from) here. It's just part of the culture.... when people get "bored" with thier house or neighborhood, and see all of the brand new ones building up right around them; they move on. I'm guilty too..... I've lived in 2 apartments and 4 houses since I've been here.

Well im'informed, if you ever find yourself in South Charlotte, or I find myself in Raleigh (which will probably happen in the next 3 weeks)- I'll buy you that beer, just pick a good spot that serves good wings also

Old 09-17-2006, 02:08 PM

889 posts, read 3,113,280 times
That was a fun read. Just wait untill she is 16!!!!!
How is Max and Ermas by the way? And cocktails someday???

Old 09-17-2006, 04:55 PM

543 posts, read 1,821,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Mark, thanks for the huge laugh.
Miker, it's a Prescott. It has some nice upgrades but the doors are locked now and I haven't been able to poke around too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
That was a fun read.
MVn2nc, this weekend was supposed to be Fox and the Hound Saturday but mid afternoon troll soccer game put a damper on it. I have to check the schedule for the next couple of weeks but you guys are busy for the next few weeks? We definately have to make plans soon.

I'm not sure I can deal with 16, we already have more drama at 12 then I can handle.

Max and Erma's wasn't all that good, rubber burgers, burnt pasta sauce, microwaved apps. I don't know if we'll be going back there often with all the other places around..

I'm putting a breathalyzer on my pc so I can't type in anymore drunken messages.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I've been here almost 12 years ...
Funny you mention that. I already find myself browsing around here and there. There are some nice properties outside of most of the subdivisions that are selling for what seems like cheap!! Moving is such a pain in the ass though, just think of it as forced decluttering every few years.

My ultimate goal is waterfront but it's not in the cards yet, spending instead of saving I guess.

When is your big move back to the cold north?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
LOL! Loved the update.
Congratulations! you must be so excited... good luck with your move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
And yes, 12-year-old girls are vicious ... fantasizing abut pushing them out of moving cars is allowed. SL
Haha, that is so funny and a such a relief that I'm not the only one thinking these things.

Last edited by Marka; 09-18-2006 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 09-17-2006, 05:14 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,903,331 times
I would love to be your neighbor Mark and we do not have the tool you want, my DH will surely buy it as everyhousehold needs one of those-

I have stories too re uphills both ways IN THE SNOW and would love to talk about the good ole days and Mike we had the Atari too, "Space Invaders" and "asteroids" the graphics could not be beat, Your guy was a little
square!

As for kids I can relate with a boy and girl too -

anyway, cute ,happy post-

but we need four bedrooms -

Old 09-17-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02 View Post
I would love to be your neighbor Mark and we do not have the tool you want, my DH will surely buy it as everyhousehold needs one of those-

I have stories too re uphills both ways IN THE SNOW and would love to talk about the good ole days and Mike we had the Atari too, "Space Invaders" and "asteroids" the graphics could not be beat, Your guy was a little
square!

As for kids I can relate with a boy and girl too -

anyway, cute ,happy post-

but we need four bedrooms -

I have a 6 year old little girl, who's totally got me wrapped around her fingers- different story with my wife though- no dice with the puppy dog face

Ah Weis, I bow down to you! Forgive me, Asteriods AND Space Invaders- those were THE games to have for Atari- I knew there was some reason I liked your posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte