Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks, Ani. I'm defiinitely flexible. I hope nobody takes what I just wrote the wrong way. I just told the truth, & whether it's here or there, the result is the same.

Besides, in this day & age, if someone misses something from "home", you can always take a trip home, & at the same time, you learn about a new place & adopt new customs & make new friends.
I cannot imagine anything you wrote being offensive. I always hope the things I write are not offensive, too, LOL. When you are speaking the unvarnished truth, the hope is everyone will take it in that spirit.

When I moved to the midwest, it was a new adventure - and yes, many differences. Like you, I visited back home, I kept in touch w/ family and friends, and the wonderful part of moving was - I made a lot of new friends who are still in my life - five years after having moved back to NC. So it can be a wonderful experience - if you give things a chance.

Last edited by brokensky; 04-21-2008 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: re-write sentence

Old 04-21-2008, 11:39 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I cannot imagine anything you wrote being offensive. I always hope the things I write are not offensive, too, LOL. When you are speaking the unvarnished truth, the hope is everyone will take it in that spirit.

When I moved to the midwest, it was a new adventure - and yes, many differences. Like you, I visited back home, I kept in touch w/ family and friends, and the wonderful part of moving was - I made a lot of new friends who are still in my life - five years after having moved back to NC. So it can be a wonderful experience - if you give things a chance.

There are some New Yorkers on this board who seem very nice. I'm sure that we'd get along fine. I suspect that what came to South Jersey were the ones who had no intention of adapting. I have to admit that I offered directions to 295 northbound to a couple, when they just wouldn't back off.

I'm really looking forward to gettng down there. I want to go to several archives in NC to do research on some of my families who were in colonial North Carolina.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
There are some New Yorkers on this board who seem very nice. I'm sure that we'd get along fine. I suspect that what came to South Jersey were the ones who had no intention of adapting. I have to admit that I offered directions to 295 northbound to a couple, when they just wouldn't back off.

I'm really looking forward to gettng down there. I want to go to several archives in NC to do research on some of my families who were in colonial North Carolina.
I can help you w/ that. So when you get here, you let me know. I bet a lot of families from the NE have relatives who came to NC in the 18th and 19th Centuries.

And oh yes! I have met some wonderful newcomers from both NY an NJ!! You will be surprised!!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,400,976 times
Quote:
And oh yes! I have met some wonderful newcomers from both NY an NJ!! You will be surprised!!!!

Really surprised you met some wonderful newcomers from both New York and New Jersey, eh ani?

Old 04-21-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Really surprised you met some wonderful newcomers from both New York and New Jersey, eh ani?
OK, Brian! Just cause you know I have more friends from one place than the other . . . we will just keep that to ourselves. That is just a coincidence.

Isn't it???

Old 04-21-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I can help you w/ that. So when you get here, you let me know. I bet a lot of families from the NE have relatives who came to NC in the 18th and 19th Centuries.

Thanks Ani I know some of the records will be at Guilford College.

I've worked with someone in NC who was amazed to find a line gong back to NJ, & from there back to New Netherlands (NY) He wasn't as surprised that I had ancestors in NC, since some of his families had lines who went to the Midwest.

We're all more alike than most people think.

Last edited by southbound_295; 04-21-2008 at 04:46 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ani I know some of the records will be at Guilford College.

I've worked with someone in NC who was amazed to find a line gong back to NJ, & from there back to New Netherlands (NY) He wasn't as surprised that I had ancestors in NC, since since some of his families had lines who went to the Midwest.

We're all more alike than most people think.
So true. Everyone's family came on a boat at some point, LOL!! And many Southerners started out from NY and PA and made the trek down thru/ VA to NC. One of the posters in our Charlotte forum - her DH is doubtless related to my DH, even tho they grew up half a continent apart - as both the families share a surname straight out of the same parish in Rockville, MD, LOL. So it is, indeed, a very small world.

Last edited by brokensky; 04-21-2008 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-21-2008, 10:48 PM

26 posts, read 70,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpeachee View Post
Yo, I am a New Yawker (yeah from da city) and I am coming down to Charlotte wit my tricked out Escalade with the Dubs on it. I got a real phat sound system (all bass) that I will be blasting rap music out of when I drive down your block. I got really high frosted hair and long fingernails. I love my cawfee and I smoke Virgina Slims like they're going out of style. I wear really tight clothes that are just low cut enough to show my tattoos off. Don't even ask me about my husband and my sons.......I just got them some new track suits and hats that they can wear backwards. My little guy (he's only 9) just got a new 2 carat diamond stud to wear in his ear! You know - the more bling the better! We can't wait to get down there to meet you!

Now if that is what you think of all New Yorkers you are the one that is idiotic. Yes, we are coming from NYC to live in the Charlotte area- with our plain minivan and our 2 sons that are straight A students. One is a cub scout the other is an Eagle scout. All we are looking for is a better quality of life. Just like I am embarrassed by the stereo-type New Yorkers that I described above, if I were a native Southerner I would be embarrassed by your ignorance.
Glad you turned that one around Just peach!! I was gettin steamed LOL!

Well said, couldn't have said it better! We are from Staten Island and have officially lived here a little over a month. We love it and haven't come across anyone who has treated us as if we don't belong. We haven't met one person originally from North Carolina though I guess they all ran when they saw us coming!! jk

Old 04-22-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy1016 View Post
Glad you turned that one around Just peach!! I was gettin steamed LOL!

Well said, couldn't have said it better! We are from Staten Island and have officially lived here a little over a month. We love it and haven't come across anyone who has treated us as if we don't belong. We haven't met one person originally from North Carolina though I guess they all ran when they saw us coming!! jk
Hi, Suzy! I am a native - so now you have met someone from NC - but I would like to invite you to our Girls' Night Out . . . please see sticky. I don't know how many natives will be there . . . maybe none but me . . . but you will meet some other terrific ladies!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
So true. Everyone's family came on a boat at some point, LOL!! And many Southerners started out from NY and PA and made the trek down thru/ VA to NC. One of the posters in our Charlotte forum - her DH is doubtless related to my DH, even tho they grew up half a continent apart - as both the families share a surname straight out of the same parish in Rockville, MD, LOL. So it is, indeed, a very small world.
Ani, I couldn't think of a way to keep this remotely on topc, but genealogy might be a good thread on its own. It might be a good reason for people to get together, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte