U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 08:57 AM

6 posts, read 21,106 times

Advertisements

me and my sister will like to leave Mass she is going to school for her lpn and will be done in winter of 07. i have a 12 year old son and i would like to move in the summer of 07 so he wont have to switch schools my question is with all the talk about the kannapolis getting the new center do you thank that is good idea? I am more of a clerical worker and i have an associate degree. i also liked greensboro nc but kannoplis probably will have more opportunities. i will like to live near things but i don't like long commutes, and it will be nice to be close to the airport also we have snow storms and ice storms up here but i hear down there they have terrible rain storms where you lose your power is that true? we would like to own our home one day do you know if they have two family homes . we will like a nice , safe community so any info we greatly be appreciated.

also is kannapolis, greensbor diverse,?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 11:40 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,139,804 times
You will find some diversity in Kannapolis and Greensboro, but not nearly as much diversity as you would find in the Triangle area, especially Cary. Kannapolis is more or less a distant suburb of Charlotte, and you will likely have to commute for a job. Charlotte as a rule is not as diverse though it is growing and more diversity will be coming.

I would recommend looking at the Triangle area. I'm from Northern Virginia and if I had to live anywhere in NC it would be the Wake County area. They have the best schools, more diversity, better job opportunities, etc.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:33 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,383,253 times
Default I live near Kannapolis

Hi! I live in the next city over from Kannapolis (Concord) and am very familiar with the area. Also, I do work in demographic/geography and have done rankings of the 235 metro areas in the U.S. Kannapolis is a suburb of Charlotte, and you could make a drive into uptown Charlotte in 25-30 minutes at good traffic times. Cabarrus County schools are very good (my wife is a middle school teacher in the system). From Kannapolis, Charlotte's airport is 30-35 minutes away and is a US Air hub with MANY daily flights. Housing in the area is very affordable and has all price ranges. Snow, we get about 6"-7" per year. As far as thunderstorms knocking out power, it happens now and then in the summer, but not offten enough for it to be a factor in your moving choice. These types of storms happen in most areas of the country in the summer. The NC Research Campus is suppose to be HUGE asset to the biotechnology industry throughout the nation and world. It's a $1-$1.5 billion facility and is going to have the world's largest electron microscope. Anyway, it's a big addition to the Charlotte area's already very strong, deverse economy. Greensboro is an hour from Kannapolis. My wife was raised in the Greensboro area. It's a very, very nice area, but the job opportunities are better here. As far as the Raleigh area, again, another very good area. Charlotte and Raleigh both rank at or near the top of most any quality-of-life publication I see, including mine. It just depends on what you're looking for. Both areas are pretty even in the area of job opportunities, climate, and are very clean and green. The Raleigh area has a better overall ranking in the area of education (public ed and colleges), a lower crime rate, and a slight edge in diversity. The Charlotte area has a lower cost of living, more recreational assets, and a more lively, big-city type uptown area. I'd prefer the Charlotte area, tarp prefers the Raleigh area. Both are valid. It just depends on what you're looking for. You really can't go wrong with either. If you want more info, just Google "Cabarrus County, NC" or "Kannapolis, NC", and I'm sure you'll get any information you need. Hope your move goes well! Good luck!!!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 07:26 PM

6 posts, read 21,106 times
Thanks for the reply i think Kannapolis is the better choice more jobs i just need to check out the middle school and high school. do you know if they have any first time home buyers program like they do here in MA? my sister is going to school for her lpn i am thinking it will be easier for her to find a job than me (clerical)

Old 09-19-2006, 07:57 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,116,504 times
There are many first time buyer programs out there. I would check with a mortgage broker to see what best suites your needs.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:40 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,139,804 times
One nice thing in Kannapolis is you're not too far from Lake Norman which is a great place for boating.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:20 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise1218 View Post
Thanks for the reply i think Kannapolis is the better choice more jobs i just need to check out the middle school and high school. do you know if they have any first time home buyers program like they do here in MA? my sister is going to school for her lpn i am thinking it will be easier for her to find a job than me (clerical)
If you do a search on this forum, you'll find a couple of threads on the Kannapolis/Bio-tech Campus. I was down there a few months back and took pictures to post here.

The Bio-tech campus is supposed to be a Really Big Thing in the future. At this point, destruction of the former Cannon Mills plant is nearing completion (I think they just imploded the smokestacks a week or so back) and the metal frame of the entrance hall is complete. That's about it. While 10s of thousands of jobs are anticipated - both in research and support - I'd speculate that point to be a year or so in the future. Still, Kannapolis seems to be THE next hot spot for NC. Real estate prices and speculation are zooming, and businesses are locating there. It was just announced (9/20) in the Salisbury Post that Best Buy would be opening a store in Kannapolis (off exit 54). It will be in a development called Afton Ridge, which already has a Super Target and Marshall's as tenants.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:11 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,653,247 times
there was a recent article in one of the local papers that the people doing kannapolis were giving an update to the local politicians but that was all the article said...it did not comment on progress or anything else.

I do know that murdock while he is investing a lot of his own money, he is looking for others, including the local areas, to help fund the project.

Like everything else, they budget x amount of dollars but it always goes over that budget.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:36 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02 View Post
there was a recent article in one of the local papers that the people doing kannapolis were giving an update to the local politicians but that was all the article said...it did not comment on progress or anything else.
I'm a regular online reader of the Salisbury Post, yet I missed this section. It appears to be a good way to keep updated on the progress of the campus
http://www.salisburypost.com/ncrc/ncrc.php (broken link)

There's also a section that covers Kannapolis
http://www.salisburypost.com/kc/index.php (broken link)

Old 12-02-2006, 12:44 PM

11 posts, read 51,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise1218 View Post
me and my sister will like to leave Mass she is going to school for her lpn and will be done in winter of 07. i have a 12 year old son and i would like to move in the summer of 07 so he wont have to switch schools my question is with all the talk about the kannapolis getting the new center do you thank that is good idea? I am more of a clerical worker and i have an associate degree. i also liked greensboro nc but kannoplis probably will have more opportunities. i will like to live near things but i don't like long commutes, and it will be nice to be close to the airport also we have snow storms and ice storms up here but i hear down there they have terrible rain storms where you lose your power is that true? we would like to own our home one day do you know if they have two family homes . we will like a nice , safe community so any info we greatly be appreciated.

also is kannapolis, greensbor diverse,?

Thanks
I moved from Mass. to Greensboro and think it's a great place to live and raise children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte