U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:14 AM

21 posts, read 32,303 times

Advertisements

I am very excited to be moving down to Mooresville shortly and I have a question on cars... several years ago I owned a Mustang GT convertible that I loved. I ultimately sold it because it was a third vehicle in the household and I really only had the opportunity to use it a few months out of the year in upstate New York.

Can you realistically drive something like a Mustang GT year round down there? Aside from $4/gallon+ gas, what are the issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 04:43 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,916,267 times
Mine is a 3rd vehicle, so I don't drive it every day. (Mainly because I don't drive it in rain. I baby it.) I do drive it a couple times a week year round. Lots of people drive them everyday, all year long.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:09 AM

7,041 posts, read 12,810,096 times
No, you really could not drive a convertible 12 months a year here; it is not quite warm enough. We do have cold weather...OK not NY cold, but, cold none-the-less. During a normal winter, highs in the daytime are usually in the 40's and nights can well be in the teens. (we rarely stay below freezing for more than 24 hours, though). Now, the winter does not last as long, so, you would conceivably have more months to use that car. Many people with convertibles don't use them as often as one would think, however. (even when one would think the weather is perfect). Don't know why that is.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:44 AM

635 posts, read 953,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
No, you really could not drive a convertible 12 months a year here; it is not quite warm enough. We do have cold weather...OK not NY cold, but, cold none-the-less. During a normal winter, highs in the daytime are usually in the 40's and nights can well be in the teens. (we rarely stay below freezing for more than 24 hours, though). Now, the winter does not last as long, so, you would conceivably have more months to use that car. Many people with convertibles don't use them as often as one would think, however. (even when one would think the weather is perfect). Don't know why that is.
You are quite right. It is not really warm enough to drive a convertible - with the roof down - all year round and obviously not when it rains.

My son has a BMW Z4 that he drives year round but that's his car. His wife has something more sensible. They cannot yet afford a 3rd car.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 AM

564 posts, read 1,216,241 times
This year we had our top down in January with no problem. Normally we use it March to November. This is our second convertible and feel we can justify the use in Charlotte.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 AM

407 posts, read 710,560 times
My C6 Corvette was purchased in western Pa. Would sit in the garage from Nov until late April. Roads could have snow until then, plus salt and the "boulders" they use for anti-skid. The last 4 years it has been in our garage in Huntersville and driven 12 months of the year. There are hearty souls here that will take the top off or down in January on a sunny day with the temp in the low 60's, I just roll the windows down and enjoy the day and the car.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
There are no issues that I see with driving it every day around here. We rarely get large snow storms which would be the only issue I can think of. Cripes, this year we got no snow at all.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 AM

1,469 posts, read 3,290,826 times
My supercharged Mustang Bullitt is my year-round daily driver. Lots of car shows and speed shops in the area to help feed the fun.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:46 AM

2,117 posts, read 3,536,237 times
I've driven my convertible with top down since January although winter was mild. If sun is out and it is 50+ I will have top down, sometimes I will put heater on and drive in 40s so yes I think you can drive with top down Mar-Nov and beyond as I do

Old 04-11-2012, 11:44 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
If you like to look at different cars, South 21 in Matthews has a Cruise In (or at least they used to). I think it is the first Friday of every month but you should call to check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or