U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 843 times

Advertisements

I believe that if you looked at the prices..shelf to shelf Publix will be consistently cheaper than Harris Teeter. Harris Teeter is one of the most expensive chains in the country with some of the highest Gross Profit demands and highest slotting dollars per sku to the manufacturer. Publix charges suppliers nothing to do business with them and as such can get more aggressive pricing. Publix also has much better meat!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 01:50 PM

716 posts, read 1,910,947 times
I used the self checkout at the new Publix the other day. As soon as a Please See Attendant message popped up, the guy fixed it immediately, like I blinked and it was gone. Then I wasn't sure how to do the bag of organic apples I had so he came over and checked, and then asked if I remembered the price for them. When I told him, he punched it in and I was all set. Plus he was super friendly and courteous.

I'm hoping this level of service lasts, and doesn't fall by the wayside once the store has been there a while and the employees grow complacent, like everywhere else.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:25 PM

19,983 posts, read 18,910,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What's wrong with the self checkout lanes? I use them at Ingles because I prefer to bag my own. I always used the bag your own lines at Pathmark. We don't have that option here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
I don't like them because Harris Teeter overuses them. I'll have a bunch of 12-packs of Coke, bottles of water, and Teeter expects me to balance them on that small bagging area or the register will error out.
I will use self checkout when I have few items or when it is quicker than waiting in two of eight regular checkout lanes when your store's front end is severely understaffed.

Publix has been good about adequately staffing cashiers and baggers and have not used self checkouts extensively until now.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:21 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,666,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southparker30 View Post
I believe that if you looked at the prices..shelf to shelf Publix will be consistently cheaper than Harris Teeter. Harris Teeter is one of the most expensive chains in the country with some of the highest Gross Profit demands and highest slotting dollars per sku to the manufacturer. Publix charges suppliers nothing to do business with them and as such can get more aggressive pricing. Publix also has much better meat!!
Most people I know don't do their 'complete' shopping list at Harris Teeter...to me, one would be throwing away money if they did.

I have to shop at 2 stores to get the best deals..

For instance, large eggs were on sale at HT for .99 per dozen...they also had brawny paper towels, large 8 pack rolls for 4.99...

I can't get that deal anywhere and specifically go to HT for their 'loss leaders'...

I shop at Walmart for my staples because it kicks every other stores arse in price...

I've looked at Publix circulars and I'm not impressed w/their prices...they seem high.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:03 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,072,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southparker30 View Post
People have routinely said on this site that the prices are Publix are on par with Harris Teeter. But because Publix has an anti coupon policy, you will see greater savings at Harris Teeter. So, please, keep going to Publix, just means more savings for me (and less harassment from the employees)

Old 04-03-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
People have routinely said on this site that the prices are Publix are on par with Harris Teeter. But because Publix has an anti coupon policy, you will see greater savings at Harris Teeter. So, please, keep going to Publix, just means more savings for me (and less harassment from the employees)
Publix does not have a loyalty card savings program. Their Advantage Buy promotion is similar, but different.

I have not used coupons in years.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:34 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,836,702 times
Quote:
They don't double coupons greater than 50 cents (like HT and BL do) but they do have good deals here and there. The store is right on our way to other places. No problem stopping for some deals. Their Cokes were on sale for 3 for $12 = $4 each. They had a store coupon to save $2/2. That worked out to 6 packs for $18 = $3 each. Their High Liner products are on sale for $2.35 less the $1 coupon = $1.35. There are many others from last week and this week, but if you don't like Publix for whatever reasons then the deals are of no value to you.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 AM

3,460 posts, read 4,343,269 times
Quote:
Publix does not have an anti coupon policy. They acccept manufacturer's coupons and competitor's coupons as well. My local Publix in Greenville, SC has a big sign on the front window saying they will accept coupons or match prices from Bi-Lo and Ingle's.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Publix does not have an anti coupon policy. They acccept manufacturer's coupons and competitor's coupons as well. My local Publix in Greenville, SC has a big sign on the front window saying they will accept coupons or match prices from Bi-Lo and Ingle's.
Publix stores in Anderson, Greenville, Pickens and Spartanburg counties in South Carolina has that sign.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:18 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,877,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energee View Post
Um, yes. That's what I said. McKee Farms = Matthews.
Wednesday,
April 23, 2014 McKee Farms (Store #1484)
3110 Fincher Farm Road
Matthews, NC 28105
(Mecklenburg County) 57,961 sq. ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte