Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 AM

26 posts, read 64,476 times

Advertisements

Sign is up! They are officially opening on October 5.

Having spent a lot of my childhood in South Florida, I have strong affinity for Publix. They have the very best subs in town, typically great customer service, and those lime green marbled floors... really can't wait.

The transformation of the Huntersville/Cornelius area is really gathering steam. We also have Whole Foods coming in up at Exit 25, and all the great restaurants and bars that have opened in the last 12-18 months (Pinky's, Craft Beer Guys, Hawthorne's, Duckworth's, Cork & Cask). It's getting to where we think less and less of traveling in to Charlotte for much of anything...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 12:14 PM

5,125 posts, read 7,253,415 times
The new Publix stores in the Charlotte region are very nice. And in addition to great subs, they also have very good cakes and great fried chicken. A worthy competitor for Harris Teeter, which is also a fine supermarket.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:17 AM

21,003 posts, read 27,005,798 times
Default Publix #1481, Market Square, 9815 Rose Commons Drive, Huntersville, North Carolina 28078-3334

I am also happy to see Publix open in Huntersville.

This is one of seven Bi-Lo stores acquired from Bi-Lo Holdings last year. It is the third store to reopen as a Publix. This location was previously Bi-Lo #5099.

With Publix and Harris Teeter #209 (9925 Rose Commons Drive, Huntersville, North Carolina 28078-3335) leading the competition, how soon will Food Lion #207 (706 Gilead Road) close?

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 08-31-2014 at 08:27 AM..

Old 08-31-2014, 11:45 AM

8,874 posts, read 13,840,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I am also happy to see Publix open in Huntersville.

This is one of seven Bi-Lo stores acquired from Bi-Lo Holdings last year. It is the third store to reopen as a Publix. This location was previously Bi-Lo #5099.

With Publix and Harris Teeter #209 (9925 Rose Commons Drive, Huntersville, North Carolina 28078-3335) leading the competition, how soon will Food Lion #207 (706 Gilead Road) close?
I think Food Lion will do just fine. I drive past H-T to do the bulk of our shopping at Food Lion. No need to pay HT prices for the same brand name stuff. (Yeah, yeah... HT is lowering some prices. Big whoop!) And we will not give Publix a dime of our money. We did not like them at all when we shopped their stores in FLA.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:12 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,390,928 times
The publix that I remember from when I lived in Florida in the 80s was a place in strip malls where blue hairs went to get their prunes, lotto tickets and vodka. Wonderfully laid back atmosphere.

Seems like it might have gone a bit upscale since then.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:21 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,340,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I think Food Lion will do just fine. I drive past H-T to do the bulk of our shopping at Food Lion. No need to pay HT prices for the same brand name stuff. (Yeah, yeah... HT is lowering some prices. Big whoop!) And we will not give Publix a dime of our money. We did not like them at all when we shopped their stores in FLA.

Yeah, I do all my shopping at that Food Lion also and if I'm in the mood, Earth Fare. I might go to that Publix once to see what all the fuss is about, but will stick to Food Lion

Old 08-31-2014, 07:02 PM

The thing to remember is Publix tends to dominate all markets they enter. They have chased all of their competition out of Florida, and hold their own against Walmart. And they seem to have a strategic business plan and very good customer service. Meanwhile, Harris Teeter felt the impending threat and joined forces with Kroger. Now we will see if Food Lion and Bi-Lo are able to hang in there. Publix and HT will dominate the upper tier, with Walmart and Aldi remaining at the budget level. Not quite sure, but Food Lion and Bi-Lo may get squeezed out of this picture, as there doesn't appear to be a viable middle ground.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:19 PM

21,003 posts, read 27,005,798 times
Default Food Lion, Bi-Lo and Publix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Yeah, I do all my shopping at that Food Lion also and if I'm in the mood, Earth Fare. I might go to that Publix once to see what all the fuss is about, but will stick to Food Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The thing to remember is Publix tends to dominate all markets they enter. They have chased all of their competition out of Florida, and hold their own against Walmart. And they seem to have a strategic business plan and very good customer service. Meanwhile, Harris Teeter felt the impending threat and joined forces with Kroger. Now we will see if Food Lion and Bi-Lo are able to hang in there. Publix and HT will dominate the upper tier, with Walmart and Aldi remaining at the budget level. Not quite sure, but Food Lion and Bi-Lo may get squeezed out of this picture, as there doesn't appear to be a viable middle ground.
I am afraid to say Food Lion has been on a decline for many years. It consistently struggles to provide necessities and convenience, quality and fresh products at fair prices, service, and an overall positive value. It has closed many doors. It will close many more as competitors like Publix and Walmart Neighborhood Market move in to open many doors.

Bi-Lo is another chain on the decline, but it is better shape than Food Lion. I do agree it may exit the Charlotte market. Its exit could come in several stores divested, and/or the chain being acquired by a competitor presently in the market.

If someone has not been to Publix yet, or has not been inside its stores in awhile, he or she is in for a pleasure with many successful and customer satisfying operated stores.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:51 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,255,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I am afraid to say Food Lion has been on a decline for many years. It consistently struggles to provide necessities and convenience, quality and fresh products at fair prices, service, and an overall positive value. It has closed many doors. It will close many more as competitors like Publix and Walmart Neighborhood Market move in to open many doors.

Bi-Lo is another chain on the decline, but it is better shape than Food Lion. I do agree it may exit the Charlotte market. Its exit could come in several stores divested, and/or the chain being acquired by a competitor presently in the market.

If someone has not been to Publix yet, or has not been inside its stores in awhile, he or she is in for a pleasure with many successful and customer satisfying operated stores.
I think Food Lion might be in better shape than Bi-Lo. They have apparently had 7 consecutive quarters of improved sales: Food Lion launches new store format in Wilmington, no word on when makeovers will come to Rowan locations | Salisbury Post

They have a new format store in Concord which they just expanded to the Wilmington area. I don't doubt that they'll close some (maybe more than some) stores but that's also due to the fact that they have so many.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 PM

The new Publix stores in the Charlotte region are the nicest I have seen anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte