U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 11:27 AM

876 posts, read 3,485,396 times

Advertisements

i didnt read the entire thread, but I am good friends with a Publix store manager in South FL and he told me this: The honcho's at Publix and the honcho's at Harris Teeter are friends. They have an agreement that they will not compete against each other and have markets in particular states. I was told that Publix got FL and GA and Teeter was in SC and NC?

Now I don't know the facts behind it, but from the way he put it he said it would never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 11:43 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,878,619 times
Well that interesting considering publix are in SC

Old 07-11-2008, 11:58 AM

21,963 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
i didnt read the entire thread, but I am good friends with a Publix store manager in South FL and he told me this: The honcho's at Publix and the honcho's at Harris Teeter are friends. They have an agreement that they will not compete against each other and have markets in particular states. I was told that Publix got FL and GA and Teeter was in SC and NC?

Now I don't know the facts behind it, but from the way he put it he said it would never happen.
Doesn't that sound like some degree of price-fixing?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:58 PM

797 posts, read 2,983,375 times
Yea, there are a ton of Publix in SC- 41 to be exact

Old 07-11-2008, 01:52 PM

876 posts, read 3,485,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Well that interesting considering publix are in SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Doesn't that sound like some degree of price-fixing?
just going by what I was told. I guess the question would be: is there a publix down the street from a harris teeter where they would cause competition? If there is, then I suggest my source of information is null and void.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
just going by what I was told. I guess the question would be: is there a publix down the street from a harris teeter where they would cause competition? If there is, then I suggest my source of information is null and void.
I'm not questioning your source. I'm just commenting on the non-compete agreement.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:58 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,066,947 times
There are HTs all over the place in NC and here in Durham I have one 5 blocks away with a Food Lion right across the street from the HT. There is a Kroger's a mile away and I'll got to Kroger's or Food Lion before HT with gas prices the way they are. Don't get wrong, I like HT but their prices are a bit too high when compared to similar products at other stores.

I'm originally from Florida and I gotta tell you that Publix is at least comparable to HT but Publix is better on prices.

You guys may have never experienced Albertson's, but in FL and AZ we had them and I liked Albertsons as much as I like Krogers/Frys.

When I lived in AZ I shopped at Fry's and was happy to see a Kroger here in Durham when I moved here. For my major grocery shopping I use my Sam's membership. Sam's, Costco and BJ are better deals in the long run when compared to HT and some others. Before I had a member to Costco and then Sam's I shopped at a Super Walmart b/c the prices are better than regular grocery stores.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
There are HTs all over the place in NC and here in Durham I have one 5 blocks away with a Food Lion right across the street from the HT. There is a Kroger's a mile away and I'll got to Kroger's or Food Lion before HT with gas prices the way they are. Don't get wrong, I like HT but their prices are a bit too high when compared to similar products at other stores.

I'm originally from Florida and I gotta tell you that Publix is at least comparable to HT but Publix is better on prices.

You guys may have never experienced Albertson's, but in FL and AZ we had them and I liked Albertsons as much as I like Krogers/Frys.

When I lived in AZ I shopped at Fry's and was happy to see a Kroger here in Durham when I moved here. For my major grocery shopping I use my Sam's membership. Sam's, Costco and BJ are better deals in the long run when compared to HT and some others. Before I had a member to Costco and then Sam's I shopped at a Super Walmart b/c the prices are better than regular grocery stores.
Albertson's bought Acme Markets in the tri-state area near Philly. They're pricey, but have some decent sales.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 PM

380 posts, read 1,616,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post

I liked Albertsons. Shopped there when I lived in Houston. But they had a Kroger also and I am a loyal Kroger customer.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:42 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,724,235 times
Quote:

HT is in Jacksonville, FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte