Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 08:47 AM

693 posts, read 2,175,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti1042 View Post
We just celebrated my little one's 3 birthday and I baked her a cake. Box mix and icing. In Florida, I would have order a cake from Publix (marble with whipped topping) as they were our favorite. Well, now another Bday is coming up, and the family misses our old cakes. Does anyone have any idea of how to make the whipped topping from Publix? I can whip up some heavy cream, but there must be something else that they put in it.

For Thanksgiving we are headed up to the mountains and will definalty stop at the Publix in Spartenburg, but the Bday is before then. Just as an FYI, the last time we went to Spartenburg Publix, whipped topping is a special order so you have to call ahead to have them make it. Any insight is appreciated!!!

Former South Floridian here. Lowes cakes are very similar to Publix... although the overall bakery is not nearly as extensive.

That being said, I don't have a recipe, but in order to hold up on a cake you need to add something that will help stiffen the cream. A pinch of cream of tartar in with the whipped cream and powdered sugar should do it. You may want to experiment with corn syrup in the cream as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:41 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlTravels View Post
Are the Publix cakes with whipped topping that different from the Harris Teeter or Bi Lo or Super Target ones? (Serious question - I don't know - we only go to Publix when visitng my parents in Beaufort SC and it's never a cake occasion)
YES!!! Publix bakery is incredible, and their cakes, no matter which frosting are fantastic. We took in a picture of a ShihTzu that my nephew drew (at age 5) and they replicated it!!! not a rough version, identical. The decorator at the publix in Decatur, GA is incredible, she made Wedding and Grooms cakes for one of my co-workers and not a crumb left on either.

I've tried both HT and Bi-Lo cakes and neither compare. Wish there was a Publix in Charlotte.......

Old 10-22-2008, 11:19 AM

693 posts, read 2,175,639 times
My wedding cake was from Publix too. Although delicious they went a little crazy with the air brushing... and rather than white it kind of looked like a hostess snowball. Delicious though, even a year later when we took it out of the freezer on our first anniversary.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:24 AM

509 posts, read 1,802,577 times
Now I'm going to have to try one when we are in SC next

Old 10-22-2008, 12:39 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti1042 View Post
We just celebrated my little one's 3 birthday and I baked her a cake. Box mix and icing. In Florida, I would have order a cake from Publix (marble with whipped topping) as they were our favorite. Well, now another Bday is coming up, and the family misses our old cakes. Does anyone have any idea of how to make the whipped topping from Publix? I can whip up some heavy cream, but there must be something else that they put in it.

For Thanksgiving we are headed up to the mountains and will definalty stop at the Publix in Spartenburg, but the Bday is before then. Just as an FYI, the last time we went to Spartenburg Publix, whipped topping is a special order so you have to call ahead to have them make it. Any insight is appreciated!!!
My mother made a whipped cream base frosting for red cake. I know that there is a different frosting that some use, but in Michigan all of the women made the whipped cream-based frosting.

Right now all of her cookbooks & recipes are packed, so I can't help on that, but look online for red cake & look for the whipped cream-based frosting for red cake.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 PM

256 posts, read 1,145,302 times
The whipped topping that you are referring to is a non-dairy base with a 2:1 ratio which means that you use 2 cups of base to 1 cup of cold water. I have only used the base that needs to be whipped. But the grocery stores get it already made and I would imagine that it is the same type (maybe not the same brand) that they use at Publix. PET is one that is used here and I think that you can buy a pretty good one over at Sam's Club. It would be in the frozen section. I would imagine that BJ's and Costco would have the same.

FYI- Costco has excellent cakes with fillings.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:39 PM

221 posts, read 724,271 times
Default Wow

Sunny,

Thank you! That is a very generous offer. The birthday (okay...yeah it's mine) is in 2 weeks and there is NO way that i could have that cake in the house and not eat it. I think that I have received some fantastic ideas on how to start attempting to make the icing. I will experiment, but until I perfect it....here I come Lowe's.

Thank you to all for your input!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Im in Savannah right now and coming back on Thursday if you would like I could stop in a Publix and bring it up for you

Old 10-22-2008, 07:53 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
Not to threadjack, but why is Charlotte the red-headed stepchild of grocery stores? I keep hearing about this Publix place, and it sounds good, and I know about Whole Foods, and we don't have one of those either....

Old 10-23-2008, 03:29 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
Not to threadjack, but why is Charlotte the red-headed stepchild of grocery stores? I keep hearing about this Publix place, and it sounds good, and I know about Whole Foods, and we don't have one of those either....
I've never understood the fascination with Publix other than it's familar territory. I grew up in Miami so I do know about Publix and it is a nice supermarket chain, as chains go. However it's not the end of all supermarket chains. Harris Teeter, and The Food Lion stores are the dominant chains in Charlotte so I can't imagine this market being able to sustain a third alternative.

Anyway there are a enough great bakeries here in Charlotte where you can get very good well-made cakes.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:51 AM

69 posts, read 344,484 times
I've been in North Carolina 17 years now and it still breaks my heart there are no Publix (or any decent grocery store chain, in my opinion). When Publix got as far as Spartanburg, I really started to get my hopes up! I still stop at Publix for their orange juice whenever I drive through Spartanburg! And now I'm thinking about how much I love their cakes (I agree, Lowes Foods is close).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte