U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 03:45 PM

737 posts, read 1,872,868 times

Advertisements

HT subs are Ok, still not Publix though. We went to Publix in Atlanta last month, and it felt like home. We stocked up on private brand stuff, and of course another large bottle of mojo. As for spices, we have been buying from Compare, especially their generic brand. What we cant find is Conchita yellow rice mix, my Wife's favorite. Going to have to have some sent from Miami I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:16 PM

21,888 posts, read 27,167,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
HT subs are Ok, still not Publix though. We went to Publix in Atlanta last month, and it felt like home. We stocked up on private brand stuff, and of course another large bottle of mojo. As for spices, we have been buying from Compare, especially their generic brand. What we cant find is Conchita yellow rice mix, my Wife's favorite. Going to have to have some sent from Miami I guess.
Welcome to Conchita Foods Inc. (http://www.conchita-foods.com/pages/wheretobuy.html - broken link)

Old 03-25-2009, 02:38 PM

They dont sell it at the dealers listed, only Publix in Miami (SoFla). My Wife is going down to visit family, she will fill up a suitcase...

Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 AM

10 posts, read 95,378 times
I am in the grocery business - I have heard that Publix will not go any further than certain cities in SC - they won't come into NC because of an agreement with another chain - not sure which chain but it is a competitor - supposedly they won't go any futher than a certain point IF that chain doesn't go any further than a certain point. It stinks because I love Publix...

Old 03-26-2009, 12:42 AM

10 posts, read 95,378 times
I am from TAMPA - too!

Old 03-26-2009, 05:42 AM

999 posts, read 4,254,146 times
My daughter has a doctor in Greenville, SC, so I have stopped on the way home 2x now at the Publix in Spartanburg. I haven't seen what the big deal is, so tell me what to try next time I go. I should get a sandwich for lunch? What makes them special.
I'm not trying to start a "Publix is great/not" war on here, I just want someone to tell me what to check out when I'm there next so I can see for myself.
THANKS

Old 03-26-2009, 06:04 AM

A lot of what makes Publix great is that I grew up with Publix. My only memories of shopping with my Mom were at Publix. My first job was at Publix. I met my Wife at Publix.
That said, there is more. They were one of the first retailers to make their own private brand foods. They have a dairy plant to make their ice cream and bottle their milk (herds of dairy cows owned by Publix btw). They have a bakery plant to produce their breads. Their subs are better than HT (imo) because of the toppings they use, as well as their bread being baked on premises. Every Publix in SoFla has an in house bakery, with actual ovens. That makes a huge difference! Their canned vegetables are no better than HT, but some of their pb stuff is (yellow rice imo).

Old 03-26-2009, 07:56 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,836,900 times
I sure do miss Publix

Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,058,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
A lot of what makes Publix great is that I grew up with Publix. My only memories of shopping with my Mom were at Publix. My first job was at Publix. I met my Wife at Publix.
That said, there is more. They were one of the first retailers to make their own private brand foods. They have a dairy plant to make their ice cream and bottle their milk (herds of dairy cows owned by Publix btw). They have a bakery plant to produce their breads. Their subs are better than HT (imo) because of the toppings they use, as well as their bread being baked on premises. Every Publix in SoFla has an in house bakery, with actual ovens. That makes a huge difference! Their canned vegetables are no better than HT, but some of their pb stuff is (yellow rice imo).
I agree. Even though Harris Teeter sells Dietz and Watson meats, they do not use Dietz and Watson when they're making subs so I don't buy their subs b/c the meats they use aren't that good. Publix uses Boars Head meat to make their subs and that right there puts them above HT in my eyes in that category.

Also, Publix's roasted chicken, fried chicken and chicken wings taste so much better than HT b/c Publix actually does a good job of making sure that the chicken is flavorful. Albertsons chicken also taste much, much better than HT's chicken. HT's chicken is not seasoned very well and it very dry.

I'm just saying.

Last edited by he's so hott; 03-26-2009 at 09:27 AM..

Old 03-26-2009, 02:45 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,713,872 times
I don't really miss Publix, but they did make a descent Cuban sandwich. Other than that, nothing special. But, that depends on if they were an A or C Publix. Actually, I like Bilo in Huntersville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte