U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 06:53 AM

737 posts, read 1,876,218 times

Advertisements

Publix like BiLo? I dont think so...the closest comparison would be to Harris Teeter, but Publix offers 3 things HT doesnt. Fresh baked goods, with actual ovens and proofers in the Stores. True butcher shop meats, with staff who are trained to cut to order. And customer service...not the mock customer service the other chains offer. As a former Manager with Publix, I am biased, but more importantly, I am a former customer. Ive said all along that the only things I miss about SoFla are Publix and Popeyes. Ive got Popeyes at Winthrop U, hope to have Publix closer than Spartanburg soon too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 09:29 AM

308 posts, read 531,018 times
Publix has "A" stores and "C" stores. Most are "C" stores. They are pretty status quo as far as grocery stores.Their "A" stores are pretty good similar to a good Harris Teeter. It would be O.K. to have them in the Charlotte area, but how many different similar grocery stores do we need? Give us more Trader Joes, Healthy Home Market, Fresh Markets and stores without so much more of the same. I am well familiar with Publix. I used them extensively in both Jacksonville and Tampa areas. I would concentrate on getting Whole Foods that is really large and has a great variety of items. But this is only my unbiased opinion. I can get things from Europe that I like from Fresh Market, Trader Joes, Health Home. or Fresh Markets. But my wants are different from many others.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:22 AM

21,994 posts, read 27,287,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
Publix has "A" stores and "C" stores. Most are "C" stores. They are nothing special. "A" stores are pretty good much like a good Harris Teeter. It would be fine to have them in the Charlotte area, but howmany good grocery stores do we need? Give us more Trader Joes, Fresh Markers and stores without so much more of the same. I am well familiar with Publix. I used them extensively in both Jacksonville and Tampa areas. I would like to concentrate on getting Whole Foods that is really large and has a great variety of items.
I'm familiar with Whole Foods. They don't call it Whole Paycheck for nothing.

I have never heard anything bad about Publix from people who I know in real life who have shopped there. I have an Ingles supermarket near me. They are much better, price-wise than their competion. I have no idea whether Publix or Ingles have the slightest intention of actually going into Charlotte, because of land-prices.

Why would you be opposed to price competition?

Why do you think that Food Lion did their big price reduction recently? Out of the goodness of their hearts? They did it because Ingles has been pulverizing the Food Lions west of Charlotte for 2 years. There's an 80K sq ft Ingles in Kings Mountain, an Ingles grocery store in Bessemer City, & another somewhat smaller Ingles supermarket in Dallas. The 2 supermarkets draw from wide areas & the effect on Food Lions is visible when you pass those stores. They couldn't just drop prices in the effected areas, so they dropped prices in the whole area.

I've heard 2 times in 6 months that Ingles is looking at properties in East Gastonia & Belmont. Publix is looking across the state line. The Ingles are big, well lit, well-stocked, with on-premises bakeries & with butchers & excellent customer service. Oh, yeah, & they have a pretty good selection of organic stuff, significantly cheaper than Whole Paycheck. Publix would be pretty much the same. Both chains are significantly cheaper than most of what's already in Charlotte. How can this be a bad thing?

Look through the grocery threads on this board. See how often people are looking for items & I tell them that Ingles has it. Publix would be filling a gap.

Please explain why price competion is a bad thing. I never heard that before.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:42 AM

308 posts, read 531,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm familiar with Whole Foods. They don't call it Whole Paycheck for nothing.

I have never heard anything bad about Publix from people who I know in real life who have shopped there. I have an Ingles supermarket near me. They are much better, price-wise than their competion. I have no idea whether Publix or Ingles have the slightest intention of actually going into Charlotte, because of land-prices.

Why would you be opposed to price competition?

Why do you think that Food Lion did their big price reduction recently? Out of the goodness of their hearts? They did it because Ingles has been pulverizing the Food Lions west of Charlotte for 2 years. There's an 80K sq ft Ingles in Kings Mountain, an Ingles grocery store in Bessemer City, & another somewhat smaller Ingles supermarket in Dallas. The 2 supermarkets draw from wide areas & the effect on Food Lions is visible when you pass those stores. They couldn't just drop prices in the effected areas, so they dropped prices in the whole area.

I've heard 2 times in 6 months that Ingles is looking at properties in East Gastonia & Belmont. Publix is looking across the state line. The Ingles are big, well lit, well-stocked, with on-premises bakeries & with butchers & excellent customer service. Oh, yeah, & they have a pretty good selection of organic stuff, significantly cheaper than Whole Paycheck. Publix would be pretty much the same. Both chains are significantly cheaper than most of what's already in Charlotte. How can this be a bad thing?

Look through the grocery threads on this board. See how often people are looking for items & I tell them that Ingles has it. Publix would be filling a gap.

Please explain why price competion is a bad thing. I never heard that before.

You want me to explain why price competiton is a bad thing. Why? I never said anything about competition. Competion is great. I look for bargins all the time.

I also never said that Publix shouldn't come here, I simply implied that Whole Foods would be better since it is different.

Bring them all as far as I am concerned. I would only prefer to see something like we don't already have. Publix wouldn't really be anything different.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
You want me to explain why price competiton is a bad thing. Why? I never said anything about competition. Competion is great. I look for bargins all the time.

I also never said that Publix shouldn't come here, I simply implied that Whole Foods would be better since it is different.

Bring them all as far as I am concerned. I would only prefer to see something like we don't already have. Publix wouldn't really be anything different.
Maybe because you said that Publix = BiLo, which others have taken issue with. You said that Whole Foods would be better than Publix. Whole Foods' high prices are notorious. It wasn't what you said as much as what you implied by stating that the status quo is fine & Publix is not needed. Then you advocated a chain known for high prices.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:47 AM

149 posts, read 219,145 times
if you want to spend $50 on 5 items of food, then be my guest and shop at Publix. Its an overpriced ripoff. Anyone in good concious and money minded would never step into that overpriced, uppity store. No thanks.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:55 AM

7,186 posts, read 11,234,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbecue_is_a_noun View Post
if you want to spend $50 on 5 items of food, then be my guest and shop at Publix. Its an overpriced ripoff. Anyone in good concious and money minded would never step into that overpriced, uppity store. No thanks.
I agree. When we used to vacation in Orlando, the nearest grocery store was a big Publix. The place was waaay out of line with the prices we saw in other stores. So we'd have to branch out and find other grocery stores to buy our food for the week.

My family has no interest in them coming to Charlotte, however, to each their own. If they do come, then I'm glad for those that are happy.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I just checked their weekly ad for the Spartanburg store. Welcome to Publix Super Markets, Inc. I'm guessing that you're refering to buying meat. That can get pricey anywhere.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:02 PM

149 posts, read 219,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I just checked their weekly ad for the Spartanburg store. Welcome to Publix Super Markets, Inc. I'm guessing that you're refering to buying meat. That can get pricey anywhere.
i'm referring to most all items. For instance, I live in SoFlo - where Publix abound, so I go in there from time to time - when I'm not near a Winn-Dixie - Everything is at LEAST 40c - $1.00 more an item. The produce is sky high and like you said the meats are outrageous.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
i'm referring to most all items. For instance, I live in SoFlo - where Publix abound, so I go in there from time to time - when I'm not near a Winn-Dixie - Everything is at LEAST 40c - $1.00 more an item. The produce is sky high and like you said the meats are outrageous.
No Winn Dixies around here. I go to a big Ingles supermarket & just checked their flyer vs the Publix flyer. Ingles is significantly cheaper, but I always hear people bemoaning the lack of Publix for specialty products. Now whether a Publix in the Charlotte area will carry those specialty products is another question, but if they come in & find a demand here, I presume that they will do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte