U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 PM
 
1,056 posts, read 1,741,967 times
Reputation: 999

Advertisements

Whole Foods is coming to the Southpark area near Philips Place according to this (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/04/1809552/whole-foods-coming-to-charlotte.html - broken link)article. They've already signed a lease for a 42,000 sq. ft. store so I imagine it's just a matter of days before construction begins.

Publix, on the other hand has made no recent effort to come into Charlotte as far as I know. Too bad, I really like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,934,685 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
Whole Foods is coming to the Southpark area near Philips Place according to this (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/04/1809552/whole-foods-coming-to-charlotte.html - broken link)article. They've already signed a lease for a 42,000 sq. ft. store so I imagine it's just a matter of days before construction begins.

Publix, on the other hand has made no recent effort to come into Charlotte as far as I know. Too bad, I really like them.
Publix has. They are trying to put a location in Fort Mill around Gold Hill and Pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 PM
 
1,056 posts, read 1,741,967 times
Reputation: 999
^OK, well that's good to know. From my location at Southpark, I doubt I will drive to Ft Mill though but I'm sure many extreme South Charlotteans would. Also, if they can develop a stronghold in the outlying areas, that could possibly set the stage for moving into the Charlotte city limits. I'm reminded of how Harris Teeter's move into the Publix/Kroger domain of Atlanta & Marietta didn't always pan out. My Dad lived in Marietta for about 30 years and back in 2003, a brand new shopping center opened up, anchored by a Harris Teeter. It was right across the street from a very busy Publix. In less than 2 years, that HT closed, only to find out several of Atlanta area HT's closed. I hope Publix's fate won't follow the same path if they come here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 14,982,663 times
Reputation: 4474
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
^OK, well that's good to know. From my location at Southpark, I doubt I will drive to Ft Mill though but I'm sure many extreme South Charlotteans would. Also, if they can develop a stronghold in the outlying areas, that could possibly set the stage for moving into the Charlotte city limits. I'm reminded of how Harris Teeter's move into the Publix/Kroger domain of Atlanta & Marietta didn't always pan out. My Dad lived in Marietta for about 30 years and back in 2003, a brand new shopping center opened up, anchored by a Harris Teeter. It was right across the street from a very busy Publix. In less than 2 years, that HT closed, only to find out several of Atlanta area HT's closed. I hope Publix's fate won't follow the same path if they come here.
I think Charlotte is such a stronghold for Harris Teeter that Publix will not be able to gain a foothold in the area. The only real threat to Harris Teeter is Wal-Mart, which could be a serious threat if they ever expand into Charlotte with their Neighborhood Market concept. What is the grocery market like in the SC suburbs? The only hope Publix has is going into an under-served area. In Charlotte proper with their being a Harris Teeter, Food Lion, or Bi-Lo on every corner, many times across the street from each other, I don't see it happening.

Out of curiosity, what does Publix bring to the table that's any different from Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Bi-Lo, Lowe's Foods, Bloom, or any of the other grocery chains already here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 PM
 
6,269 posts, read 9,975,835 times
Reputation: 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What is the grocery market like in the SC suburbs?
http://image36.webshots.com/37/3/8/5...2wnsEAO_ph.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 04:33 AM
 
Location: Asheville
7,529 posts, read 6,128,482 times
Reputation: 6868
Out of curiosity, what does Publix bring to the table that's any different from Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Bi-Lo, Lowe's Foods, Bloom, or any of the other grocery chains already here?

I shopped Publix exclusively for 8 years in South Florida, I find them to be very similar to Harris Teeter, they're a nice grocery chain and they take care of there help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 05:31 AM
 
540 posts, read 1,516,449 times
Reputation: 330
Supposedly publix in doing fort mill, rock hill, and I hear they have space in IndianLand on 521 near Sun City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 05:32 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,976,623 times
Reputation: 4402
"very similar" is not exactly filling a market niche...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,934,685 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Out of curiosity, what does Publix bring to the table that's any different from Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Bi-Lo, Lowe's Foods, Bloom, or any of the other grocery chains already here?

I shopped Publix exclusively for 8 years in South Florida, I find them to be very similar to Harris Teeter, they're a nice grocery chain and they take care of there help.
They have a similiar look and feel but the differences include Publix is cheaper than Harris Teeter, they carry Boars Head and other high end products, and no grocery chain beats Publix's bakery. I missed them from my family and I using them exclusively for 20+ years living in Florida so I am excited to see them moving into the area. They can't come sooner.

As for grocery stores in the Fort Mill/Steele Creek area, there are a ton. Harris Teeter (2), Bi-Lo (2), Lowes, Super Walmart, Super Target, Bloom, Aldi, and Food Lion; all within 5-10 mile radius from that location. I think what Publix's offers stands out above them all. Nobody does it like Publix in my opinion.

As for Charlotte you would assume if the Fort Mill/Rock Hill locations take off (which they should), the next steps would be to move into the surrounding neighborhoods (union county) into Charlotte. That's my guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 06:29 AM
 
150 posts, read 228,511 times
Reputation: 146
I just want a grocery store that has a good bakery with baked goods made at the store, good deli meats, and good customer service. Harris Teeter needs to upgrade their check out areas with better cash registers and ways for employees to quickly bag food items. In my opinion, Harris Teeter serious lacks in all these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top