U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 10:55 AM

63 posts, read 248,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Out of curiosity, what does Publix bring to the table that's any different from Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Bi-Lo, Lowe's Foods, Bloom, or any of the other grocery chains already here?

I shopped Publix exclusively for 8 years in South Florida, I find them to be very similar to Harris Teeter, they're a nice grocery chain and they take care of there help.

I shopped at Publix for about 8 years as well, but in the St. Pete area. Personally I love their bakery. They had fantastic birthday cakes. And, IMHO, the BEST sweet tea. I'm super picky, and I haven't found anything close to it around here, at least, outside of restaurants. I'm moving to Indian Land this weekend, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll get the Fort Mill store built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:29 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,400,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think Charlotte is such a stronghold for Harris Teeter that Publix will not be able to gain a foothold in the area. The only real threat to Harris Teeter is Wal-Mart, which could be a serious threat if they ever expand into Charlotte with their Neighborhood Market concept. What is the grocery market like in the SC suburbs? The only hope Publix has is going into an under-served area. In Charlotte proper with their being a Harris Teeter, Food Lion, or Bi-Lo on every corner, many times across the street from each other, I don't see it happening.

Out of curiosity, what does Publix bring to the table that's any different from Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Bi-Lo, Lowe's Foods, Bloom, or any of the other grocery chains already here?
What Publix brings to the table is a long line of faithful follower shoppers from FL that did all of our groceries from it. I would love for Publix to be in the Charlotte area, as I'm sure other ex-Floridians would too. And their bakery is THE BEST!! See link below....

Food & Entertaining - Publix Bakery Selections - Decadent Desserts

Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 PM

182 posts, read 436,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

Unbelievably good fried chicken...not kidding! it's the best...

Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM

45 posts, read 62,645 times
Default added thought on Publix

I lived in Florida and the only store to match Wal-Mart was Publix. The fact is Publix prospered there. It was very interesting to see.

Will PUblix take on Harris Teeter? I don't think there will be a problem. I live in Matthews and would gladly go to Fort Mill to shop every 2 weeks or so at Publix. I am shocked that other food stores don't copy Publix. the whole attitude is different. No sloppy golf shirts and baggy pants on the employees. They are neat and clean and ready to help in a flash. How they do it I don't know but the ability to get young adults to really care about others sets them apart. Pay is suppost to be good and the benefits are (or were)above average.

The first thing I noted about Harris Teeter, and told the Manager so, is the stores to me are unorganized compared to how publix is laid out. Don't think Harris Teeter is not sweating, and should. At this point they have cut customer service and pushed their employees to the limit. Few Raises and more work...it will backfire in the end.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:02 AM

409 posts, read 991,327 times
HT should worry about Publix. In the few markets they've had direct competition, Publix has clobbered them.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 AM

22,023 posts, read 27,318,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
HT should worry about Publix. In the few markets they've had direct competition, Publix has clobbered them.
Are you aware of HT going head to head with Ingles, other than in Shelby? I've head that Ingles now has at least one plot of land in Gastonia & are headed for Charlotte. (I heard this from an employee.) I know that Ingles' main focus is crushing Food Lion & they do remarkably well at that, but I'm wondering about Harris Teeter.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:49 AM

123 posts, read 246,514 times
We are also offer HT...their stores are just adequate, their prices even for staple items are outrageous and they don't really offer anything different to justify it and/or differentiate themselves. They don't have competition right near my home and there are three HT's within 10 miles of each other! The Target does compete somewhat in Wesley Chapel and they are going to be "fully grocery' according to the manager by August! They obviously see an opportunity and a need! Look out Teet!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:30 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,418,164 times
Publix is a big deal. There deli is the bomb there stores are always clean and well organized. There produce dept stays stocked and fresh. That's the only grocery store I shop at..

Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,032,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post

I shopped Publix exclusively for 8 years in South Florida, I find them to be very similar to Harris Teeter, they're a nice grocery chain and they take care of there help.
Publix does not make you give out your information and use a card to get the store discounts. That's my favorite part.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:04 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,942,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Publix does not make you give out your information and use a card to get the store discounts. That's my favorite part.

You can always lie and give out false information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte