U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,505,253 times

Advertisements

Count me as a Publix lover as well...that was my favorite grocery store when I lived in the Tampa Bay area...

I would love for them to come here. Im not the biggest fan of Harris Teeter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:05 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,752,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4htown View Post
I lived in Florida and the only store to match Wal-Mart was Publix. The fact is Publix prospered there. It was very interesting to see.

Will PUblix take on Harris Teeter? I don't think there will be a problem. I live in Matthews and would gladly go to Fort Mill to shop every 2 weeks or so at Publix. I am shocked that other food stores don't copy Publix. the whole attitude is different. No sloppy golf shirts and baggy pants on the employees. They are neat and clean and ready to help in a flash. How they do it I don't know but the ability to get young adults to really care about others sets them apart. Pay is suppost to be good and the benefits are (or were)above average.

The first thing I noted about Harris Teeter, and told the Manager so, is the stores to me are unorganized compared to how publix is laid out. Don't think Harris Teeter is not sweating, and should. At this point they have cut customer service and pushed their employees to the limit. Few Raises and more work...it will backfire in the end.
I live in both Miami Beach and Raleigh and can tell you that Harris Teeter clobbers Publix. I think Publix stores are second or third rate when compared to Harris Teeter. They would beat Food Lion but not HT.
Publix has lousy produce, they aren't open 24 hours, their selection is smaller, they don't have self check out lanes (in Miami at least) and their bakery doesn't hold a candle to HT.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,940,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I live in both Miami Beach and Raleigh and can tell you that Harris Teeter clobbers Publix. I think Publix stores are second or third rate when compared to Harris Teeter. They would beat Food Lion but not HT.
Publix has lousy produce, they aren't open 24 hours, their selection is smaller, they don't have self check out lanes (in Miami at least) and their bakery doesn't hold a candle to HT.
That can't farther from the truth. You must work for Harris Teeter.

Harris Teeter bakery is the biggest joke out of all the grocery chains I have ever been in. The one cake I got there last year was by far the worst over-iced cake I have ever tasted. We ended up tossing it. Publix has a way bigger selection than Harris Teeter. Harris Teeter slashes products all the time since they have such limited room. Harris Teeter produce isn't any better than Publix. If that was such a concern, you would be going to a Whole Foods type store or a local farmer since their produce would be a lot fresher.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,868,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
That is because Miami Beach publix stores are C grade stores

Old 03-11-2011, 06:59 AM

21,894 posts, read 27,173,603 times
I think that the Publix vs Harris Teeter comparison should be taken to the Greenville/Spartanburg board. I occasionally check certain topics there, since I'm 40 miles from Spartanburg & I've seen it mentioned that Harris Teeter was there. Currently, their 4 main players are Publix, Ingles, Bi-Lo, & Bloom. Someone on that board might know of a head to head comparison of Publix & HT.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 AM

913 posts, read 2,308,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that the Publix vs Harris Teeter comparison should be taken to the Greenville/Spartanburg board. I occasionally check certain topics there, since I'm 40 miles from Spartanburg & I've seen it mentioned that Harris Teeter was there. Currently, their 4 main players are Publix, Ingles, Bi-Lo, & Bloom. Someone on that board might know of a head to head comparison of Publix & HT.
I lived in Asheville for six years (there was one HT there we shopped at often) til a couple years ago, and now live in Spartanburg, where there are no HTs but there is a Publix we shop at now. No HTs in the upstate at all as far as I know. Publix's deli and bakery are miles above HT, no comparison, and the employees at Publix go out of their way to be friendly and helpful, unlike what I experienced at HT. I think the prices are about the same but if I had the choice between the two, I'd shop at Publix.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
I lived in Asheville for six years (there was one HT there we shopped at often) til a couple years ago, and now live in Spartanburg, where there are no HTs but there is a Publix we shop at now. No HTs in the upstate at all as far as I know. Publix's deli and bakery are miles above HT, no comparison, and the employees at Publix go out of their way to be friendly and helpful, unlike what I experienced at HT. I think the prices are about the same but if I had the choice between the two, I'd shop at Publix.
I saw one of the posters (if I recall correctly. a native) on the Greenville/Spartanburg board mention that Teeter was there, in a grocery thread.

I'm up the road from you in Kings Mountain & have an 80K square foot Ingles.

I'm just saying that that board might be the best source of an actual head to head comparison of Publix & HT.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 AM

913 posts, read 2,308,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I saw one of the posters (if I recall correctly. a native) on the Greenville/Spartanburg board mention that Teeter was there, in a grocery thread.

I'm up the road from you in Kings Mountain & have an 80K square foot Ingles.

I'm just saying that that board might be the best source of an actual head to head comparison of Publix & HT.
They're not currently in the upstate. See for yourself. Closest are Hendersonville, Shelby and Asheville.

Harris Teeter - Store Locator

Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
They're not currently in the upstate. See for yourself. Closest are Hendersonville, Shelby and Asheville.

Harris Teeter - Store Locator
I did not say that they are there now. I said that in one of the grocery threads someone said that they had been there. They must have had a reason to leave. The question would be which stores were there when they left. If Publix was there, was that the reason that HT left. Whoever made the post that Harris Teeter was there might know those answers.

I've seen the threads on the Western NC board about Ingles vs Food Lion, & I've seen it here, where I live. That would explain why you have Bloom instead of Food Lion in the urban areas.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:13 AM

1,610 posts, read 2,021,632 times
I moved from Greenville, SC, where I had ready access to Publix. I'd take Publix over Harris Teeter any day. Better bakery, produce, better employees, better store layout. The only thing Harris Teeter has going for it are the $2.99 sub sandwiches for lunch.

I do most of my shopping here at Bilo. The food is about equal to Harris Teeter but the store overall is less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte