U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-31-2011, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
3,356 posts, read 8,879,415 times
Reputation: 1932

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
The one I am aware of (granted news has been quiet for a couple months) is near the corner of Gold Hill and Pleasant in Fort Mill.

That & there is supposed to be one in Indian Land, I had just been wondering if earnhardtfan3 had any more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2011, 03:21 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,966 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Reputation: 9008
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
That & there is supposed to be one in Indian Land, I had just been wondering if earnhardtfan3 had any more information.
I was helping someone from the Greenville board who contacted a friend who is in management for Publix. They will have a distribution center in Charlotte, so they are coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2011, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
3,356 posts, read 8,879,415 times
Reputation: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I was helping someone from the Greenville board who contacted a friend who is in management for Publix. They will have a distribution center in Charlotte, so they are coming.
Wish they would hurry up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2011, 05:19 PM
 
10,834 posts, read 14,843,680 times
Reputation: 5095
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Wish they would hurry up
last year there was a story about a distribution center, and the fact that they would not enter the Charlotte market for one store.

It would be 3+ to justify a distribution center. So, the last I heard was Gold Hill Road, Indian Land and one in Charlotte. That is three. Maybe they have further plans.

I think the neighborhood around the Gold Hill Rd. store, approved the location back in October or November.

But, I have seen zero news stories since November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2011, 05:34 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,966 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Reputation: 9008
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
last year there was a story about a distribution center, and the fact that they would not enter the Charlotte market for one store.

It would be 3+ to justify a distribution center. So, the last I heard was Gold Hill Road, Indian Land and one in Charlotte. That is three. Maybe they have further plans.

I think the neighborhood around the Gold Hill Rd. store, approved the location back in October or November.

But, I have seen zero news stories since November.
I was told that they'll serve upstate SC out of Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 PM
 
3,464 posts, read 3,148,798 times
Reputation: 3433
I've been to a few Publix and don't understand the hype? Harris Tetter seems ok enough, don't see traveling out-of-the-way to go to a Publix. Although its good to have options...what about a Giant, Safeway or Wegmans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 PM
 
467 posts, read 863,128 times
Reputation: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I've been to a few Publix and don't understand the hype? Harris Tetter seems ok enough, don't see traveling out-of-the-way to go to a Publix. Although its good to have options...what about a Giant, Safeway or Wegmans?
Safeway is king where I live in California, and believe me, the day can't come soon enough when I'll never have to step into that grocery chain ever again. It's basically in between Kroger and Food Lion for quality, but at Harris Teeter prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Charlotte. NC
196 posts, read 376,002 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Safeway is king where I live in California, and believe me, the day can't come soon enough when I'll never have to step into that grocery chain ever again. It's basically in between Kroger and Food Lion for quality, but at Harris Teeter prices.
Sounds like your local Safeway is the exception, not the rule. Its been my experience living on the west that it is decently priced (unlike HT), with good quality food/produce and clean. I have never been a Safeway that is comparable to FoodLion. What I wouldn't do for a clean midrange grocery store here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 AM
 
Location: The Queen City
1,087 posts, read 2,398,239 times
Reputation: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I've been to a few Publix and don't understand the hype? Harris Tetter seems ok enough, don't see traveling out-of-the-way to go to a Publix. Although its good to have options...what about a Giant, Safeway or Wegmans?
Any Floridian living in Charlotte would tell you that we would go out of our way to go to Publix rather than Harris Teeter. The other day I drove 70 miles to the Publix in Spartanburg!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 07:13 AM
 
5,882 posts, read 7,739,046 times
Reputation: 3382
Safeway is more expensive than Harris Teeter from what I can tell, and not as nice. I didn't realize there was a negative perception of Harris Teeter in the Charlotte area...I think people just don't like the chain that has the most stores in their area . It's funny because in Baltimore that's Giant (Landover) and Safeway...speaking of which they're only in Baltimore/Washington so probably no chance of them going to Charlotte, which is probably a good thing. There's only a couple Harris Teeters in MD, and it seems like many people would rather shop at HT than Giant/Safeway. There's even a similar story about a Harris Teeter that was supposed to open up in the city that has yet to come to fruition.

People go crazy over Wegmans up north, and they're pretty good stores, but as some have said about Publix, I don't think I'd drive out of my way to go to one. Although it seems like they have singlehandedly put some Safeways and Shoppers (another bad chain) out of business. They have been working their way South, but right now the furthest South they go is Fredericksburg VA so probably would be awhile before they get to Charlotte.

How do you feel about Lowe's? If I had to guess (and just making this up), besides Publix, the most likely chain to come to Charlotte would probably be Kroger. Do you consider them a "clean midrange grocery store"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top