U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 07:17 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,864,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Any Floridian living in Charlotte would tell you that we would go out of our way to go to Publix rather than Harris Teeter. The other day I drove 70 miles to the Publix in Spartanburg!!!
Been there done that.

In a couple of weeks I will be about a mile from a publix in TN, so I know I had better bring a cake back for the wife
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 12:22 PM

409 posts, read 988,301 times
Publix and HT are somewhat similar, but I prefer Publix for several reasons:

Outstanding bakery, much better than HT
Better Deli
You don't have to carry a stupid VIC card to take advantage of their specials.
Pricing a bit lower

My BIL is the sales manager for the Publix account for a large food company. I'll check to see if I can get confirmation on the distribution center info.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:53 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,370,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
How do you feel about Lowe's? If I had to guess (and just making this up), besides Publix, the most likely chain to come to Charlotte would probably be Kroger. Do you consider them a "clean midrange grocery store"?
Kroger pulled out of Charlotte about 20 years ago.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:24 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Kroger pulled out of Charlotte about 20 years ago.
Haha, didn't know that! I guess that's why I said I was just making it up! I only really thought that because it is one of the biggest national chains (I think THE biggest?) and they're already in Raleigh, so figured Charlotte could be a logical progression.

But according to wikipedia there was a rumor in August that Kroger was a potential buyer for Bi-Lo? Which is kinda funny since apparently Kroger bought from and then sold some stores to Bi-Lo the last time it was in Charlotte...

Old 04-02-2011, 09:29 AM

21,877 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Haha, didn't know that! I guess that's why I said I was just making it up! I only really thought that because it is one of the biggest national chains (I think THE biggest?) and they're already in Raleigh, so figured Charlotte could be a logical progression.

But according to wikipedia there was a rumor in August that Kroger was a potential buyer for Bi-Lo? Which is kinda funny since apparently Kroger bought from and then sold some stores to Bi-Lo the last time it was in Charlotte...
Oddly enough, the person who told me about Publix putting a distribution center in Charlotte also mentioned Kroger as a potential buyer for Bi-Lo, but did say that it's just a rumor. However, that person said that if it's true, Bi-Lo is not in a position to fend it off.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 AM

409 posts, read 988,301 times
Well, I spoke with my BIL who works in the food industry and has Publix as his account. Basically the Publix in Fort Mill and the distribution center is, at this point, just a well-publicized rumor, and no official announcements have been made. Pretty much the same as what we've been hearing around here.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
Well, I spoke with my BIL who works in the food industry and has Publix as his account. Basically the Publix in Fort Mill and the distribution center is, at this point, just a well-publicized rumor, and no official announcements have been made. Pretty much the same as what we've been hearing around here.
Maybe, like everyone else, Publix is trying to get incentive money from North Carolina to help with the startup cost of a distribution center. Those things require silence until the final papers are signed, as far as the public officials. Unless someone slips up & forgets to require silence from the realtors involved (as happened recently with a food distribution center in Kings Mountain) it's all smoke & mirrors & rumors until Bev makes the official announcement.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,370,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Maybe, like everyone else, Publix is trying to get incentive money from North Carolina to help with the startup cost of a distribution center. Those things require silence until the final papers are signed, as far as the public officials. Unless someone slips up & forgets to require silence from the realtors involved (as happened recently with a food distribution center in Kings Mountain) it's all smoke & mirrors & rumors until Bev makes the official announcement.
If they're looking to build in Fort Mill, why would they be looking for money from North Carolina?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:02 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,452,785 times
Quote:
If they're looking to build in Fort Mill, why would they be looking for money from North Carolina?
Distribution center in NC......stores in SC.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Distribution center in Charlotte. I went back & checked. I have mentioned that. See, they get 250 miles, comfortably, from each distribution center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte