Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 03:54 PM

415 posts, read 1,149,875 times

Advertisements

Publix did not drive Winn Dixie out. Not the same type of store, and they co-existed nicely until Walmart came along and pretty much clobbered W-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 07:45 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The Charlotte area has five traditional supermarkets: Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Ingle's, and Lowe's Foods. When Publix joins the fold, it will be a fight for survival of the fittest. One or 2 will not survive.

Publix will give Harris Teeter a ride in its home market.

Publix makes Lowe's Foods look very bad. In amenities, Publix has pharmacies in its stores; Lowe's Foods does not. (Only one Lowe's Foods store has a pharmacy.) Food Lion struggles here also. Second, Publix has a full service front end using express regular checkouts and no self checkouts; Lowe's Foods has self checkouts. Shoppers will go to the store with the amenities and service.

Food Lion is not going to be pushed out of its home market. It will need to improve itself greatly to compete with Publix, Harris Teeter, and Ingles. It can start by adding pharmacy departments to its stores.
I saw where the Kings Mountain Ingles got a permit to add a seasonal, outdoor garden center onto the store. I haven't been out to see if work has started on it.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:25 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
The Charlotte area has five traditional supermarkets: Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Ingle's, and Lowe's Foods. When Publix joins the fold, it will be a fight for survival of the fittest. One or 2 will not survive.

Publix will give Harris Teeter a ride in its home market.

Publix makes Lowe's Foods look very bad. In amenities, Publix has pharmacies in its stores; Lowe's Foods does not. (Only one Lowe's Foods store has a pharmacy.) Food Lion struggles here also. Second, Publix has a full service front end using express regular checkouts and no self checkouts; Lowe's Foods has self checkouts. Shoppers will go to the store with the amenities and service.

Food Lion is not going to be pushed out of its home market. It will need to improve itself greatly to compete with Publix, Harris Teeter, and Ingles. It can start by adding pharmacy departments to its stores.
I like self checkouts and use them 99% of the time in HT. I also like Lowe's foods because of the deli and they have much better rolls IMO than HT. Also like I said before, all Lowe's foods are not created equal. In Charlotte they tailor to the higher end clientele. Outside of Charlotte I've seen some lower end Lowe's foods..that's why people have to understand all HT's and Lowe's are not created equal.

Hey, I like competition and I think its good, but like I said, it would be like driving Bojangles out of Charlotte....if you think that can be done, then I guess HT can be driven out of Charlotte.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:27 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
It can be done, and it is happening elsewhere.

Publix has overpowered Winn Dixie in Jacksonville, Florida, its home market. There are 3 or 4 Publix stores to 1 Winn Dixie store in Florida.
Winn Dixie was a dump and closed here along time ago...cannot compare to nice HT's...and it SHOULD overpower something in its home market. People want to support local establishments, that's a big part of why Bojangles is successful.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:49 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I like self checkouts and use them 99% of the time in HT. I also like Lowe's foods because of the deli and they have much better rolls IMO than HT. Also like I said before, all Lowe's foods are not created equal. In Charlotte they tailor to the higher end clientele. Outside of Charlotte I've seen some lower end Lowe's foods..that's why people have to understand all HT's and Lowe's are not created equal.

Hey, I like competition and I think its good, but like I said, it would be like driving Bojangles out of Charlotte....if you think that can be done, then I guess HT can be driven out of Charlotte.
Jack, I'm with ya on the bread. This is another reason to stop at Ingles when you're out here. I have no idea if they're carried at all Ingles, but the Kings Mountain store carries Vieira rolls (& in the Pathmark tradition, the sign mis-spells the name ) Vieira's Bakery ::

Publix & Ingles entering the Charlotte market only makes it better for customers. More choices & more competition = better prices.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:42 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. I have a hard time believing Publix will be able to become a dominant force in the Charlotte metro with this being the home-turf of Harris Teeter. I like HT so I will definitely check Publix out when it opens to see what all the fuss is about. Maybe if Publix can push out Food Lion and buy up their locations, but thats the only way I can see it happening. As far as I know, Publix is catered more to HT's clientele than the Food Lion/Wal-Mart clientele.
I agree, seeing how HT is already entrenched here. To me it would be hard for Publix get good locations to able to compete since HT is everywhere and has a high density in many of the desirable areas, with Lowes close behind. In newer development areas, yes they can get land, but I see it hard for them to get a foot hold in the established close in areas. Could the get enough land to build?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:51 PM

495 posts, read 1,077,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I agree, seeing how HT is already entrenched here. To me it would be hard for Publix get good locations to able to compete since HT is everywhere and has a high density in many of the desirable areas, with Lowes close behind. In newer development areas, yes they can get land, but I see it hard for them to get a foot hold in the established close in areas. Could the get enough land to build?
Somehow Publix went from 0 in Atlanta to 143 stores and filled out in all of the already-developed areas, not just building new buildings from previous forestland. They can get very creative in converting old buildings like warehouses or abandoned condos., as well as buying out failing chains who have closed their stores. The space doesn't necessarily have to previously be a grocery store. If an Office Depot, Borders, or Home Depot closes, they'll come up with a plan to take over at least a portion of the space. They also utilize space very well within a larger commercial space, similar to the HT store in Uptown or the Trader Joe's.

A more apt comparison with Atlanta would be the Publix/Kroger dynamic. Kroger was king in Atlanta, and Publix has basically brought it to a draw (equal number of stores) in about a decade. They co-exist.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Somehow Publix went from 0 in Atlanta to 143 stores and filled out in all of the already-developed areas, not just building new buildings from previous forestland. They can get very creative in converting old buildings like warehouses or abandoned condos., as well as buying out failing chains who have closed their stores. The space doesn't necessarily have to previously be a grocery store. If an Office Depot, Borders, or Home Depot closes, they'll come up with a plan to take over at least a portion of the space. They also utilize space very well within a larger commercial space, similar to the HT store in Uptown or the Trader Joe's.

A more apt comparison with Atlanta would be the Publix/Kroger dynamic. Kroger was king in Atlanta, and Publix has basically brought it to a draw (equal number of stores) in about a decade. They co-exist.
Yep, not saying it's impossible, just hard. But if they could do those things in Atlanta, I guess they have a very good/creative team scouting locations.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Yep, not saying it's impossible, just hard. But if they could do those things in Atlanta, I guess they have a very good/creative team scouting locations.
Or they could simply buy-out the Charlotte-area Lowes Foods stores.....(that was just one of about a million rumors floating around in the past few yrs )

Old 04-29-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
Or they could simply buy-out the Charlotte-area Lowes Foods stores.....(that was just one of about a million rumors floating around in the past few yrs )
I hadn't heard that one before. I thought Lowes was doing OK because in a few areas, where there is an HT there is a Lowes close by, ala CVS and Walgreens. It would be a way to get an instant foot hold and justify a distribution center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte