Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 02:35 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times

Advertisements

There is also one being built in Indianland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Does Publix intend to have four stores operating in York and Lancaster counties? The success of those stores would determine Publix's step into North Carolina for additional Charlotte regional locations.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:46 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
If I were them, I'd build those huge stores like they entered the nashville market with. Those stores are incredible. Never seen another like it, not even in florida. That would blow the competition out of the water. Not that there's really any competition.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:10 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,367,900 times
Publix should blow all the competetion outof the water. The only place with similar quality is Harris Teeter, but Publix is WAY more competetive in pricing. I cant wait for the one in Indian Land to open!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:11 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Publix should blow all the competetion outof the water. The only place with similar quality is Harris Teeter, but Publix is WAY more competetive in pricing. I cant wait for the one in Indian Land to open!
Quality... Publix's Bakery/Deli way outshine anything Harris Teeter attempts.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:48 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Publix fresh made doughnuts are very good, as well as their fried chicken and spicy hot wings. And they normally enter a market with plans for more than just 2 stores, unless they view York/Lancaster counties as an extension of their Columbia and Greenville-Spartanburg markets.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:54 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
A while back they were looking at building 4 all in SC, once they hit 4 then it justifies a distribution center, once that happens then watch the attack on the Charlotte market.

I think they are wanting to get the 2 open first to see the local perception and take it from there.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
I emailed them recently and asked if they were hoping to move into the Charlotte market. The reply was that they have no plans to expand beyond the four (?) states they are already serving. I guess time will tell. I will definitely splurge on some Cuban bread when they open up!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:21 AM

63 posts, read 298,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
A while back they were looking at building 4 all in SC, once they hit 4 then it justifies a distribution center, once that happens then watch the attack on the Charlotte market.

I think they are wanting to get the 2 open first to see the local perception and take it from there.
They can serve the new SC stores from the current Dacula distribution center. Which serves the AL, TN, GA, and SC stores. If they are planning a full on move into NC, they'll serve Charlotte from the same DC until they are ready to expand again into new markets. A clone of the Dacula DC and Dairy plant in Raleigh would let them serve all of NC, Norfolk and Richmond.

If I were HT management, I'd start working on my prices now, otherwise this will be a repeat of 2001-2003 when Publix chased Harris Teeter and then A&P out of Atlanta. Both had big nice stores, but high prices.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm View Post
They can serve the new SC stores from the current Dacula distribution center. Which serves the AL, TN, GA, and SC stores. If they are planning a full on move into NC, they'll serve Charlotte from the same DC until they are ready to expand again into new markets. A clone of the Dacula DC and Dairy plant in Raleigh would let them serve all of NC, Norfolk and Richmond.

If I were HT management, I'd start working on my prices now, otherwise this will be a repeat of 2001-2003 when Publix chased Harris Teeter and then A&P out of Atlanta. Both had big nice stores, but high prices.
Harris Teeter is too entrenched in NC and does provide a very good product. I don't think HT purist are going to change for a better "greeting", chicken wings or slightly lower prices. I've shopped at a couple of Publix and didn't have the jaw-dropping experience some of you've had. I'm still waiting on Popeyes to upseat Bojangles and I prefer Popeyes...it ain't gonna happen. I think Publix will do Ok in NC, but I'm not driving 15-20 minutes to go to Publix when a Harris Teeter is 5 min away. Hell, I wouldn't drive 15 min to Publix if a Food Lion is 5 min away. I know where to get great subs, wings and pastries...

In terms of Harris Teeter, the Atlanta market and NC market are worlds apart. It'll be interesting to see how the process is managed by both over the next few years but overcoming the HT base in NC is no small task.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 04-16-2012 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte