U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 05:37 PM

5,885 posts, read 7,742,736 times

Advertisements

Regardless of whether you are a fan of Publix or not, this is great news for Charlotte. Having a division here means a Distribution Center (AKA working-class jobs) and a larger number of stores which will make HT (and Bi-Lo and Food Lion if they want to stick around in CLT) step up their games. They will probably supply their Columbia stores and maybe the Greenville-Spartanburg stores from this warehouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,010,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I figured when they announced they were moving into Fort Mill and Tega Cay, that they would eventually cross the border into NC. Because York and Lancaster counties are more a part of the Charlotte market than Greenville-Spartanburg where they currently have stores. And when Publix expands, they try to have a large presence in the total market. Which is why HT took over the Lowe's stores before Publix could. But HT will have to stay on top of their game, as Publix has driven them out of Atlanta and Upstate SC.
Publix and Kroger were well established in ATL prior to HT ever setting up shop there. To date Publix hasn't pushed HT out of any market, and HTs attempt to push up on Publix market in ATL was also a failure.

I don't see that changing, HT is an institution in Charlotte and will remain so.

Last edited by Native_Son; 09-19-2012 at 06:24 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,349,226 times
For whatever reason, Harris Teeter has not competed well against Publix in the markets I mentioned. But I do wish we still had HT here in Greenville, SC. I grew up in the Clt area and I miss them here. But Publix is a nice store also, and Clt will be well served by 2 outstanding supermarkets, and it should be good for competition. But I'm not sure if BiLo will survive. Food Lion probably, and Walmart on the discount end, and Publix and HT on the higher end.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:18 PM
ERH

1,143 posts, read 1,635,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Publix will often go into a community and open one of their "A" stores which can be impressive. All the clerks will be required to speak to customers and greet them in a very friendly manner. The bakery and deli will have all kinds of wonderful items. After customers have been drawn and everything settles, the "A" store will start downstocking and many of those nice bakery and deli items will disappear and what will we have? Another Food Lion.
LOL, ever been to a Wal-Mart grand opening? The first 1-3 months of shopping there is like you're living on some surreal other-planet where EVERY cash register is OPEN and everywhere you turn there are helpful, SMILING FACES ready to tend to your every need. The labor costs behind the opening of a new WM must be outrageous!! But, all those new jobs diminish quickly once they settle in...then it's back to four lanes open on a Saturday afternoon and grouchy, unhelpful customer-service people (IF you can find them).

I'm sure if we open our eyes, it's that way with every retail company to a degree. But Wal-Mart has worked hard at earning that reputation -- practice makes perfect!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:15 PM

21,981 posts, read 27,263,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Regardless of whether you are a fan of Publix or not, this is great news for Charlotte. Having a division here means a Distribution Center (AKA working-class jobs) and a larger number of stores which will make HT (and Bi-Lo and Food Lion if they want to stick around in CLT) step up their games. They will probably supply their Columbia stores and maybe the Greenville-Spartanburg stores from this warehouse.
I've heard that the old Winn-Dixie distribution center is available in Charlotte.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:42 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,349,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Greenville-Spartanburg Publix stores are currently supplied by the Atlanta distribution center in Lawrenceville, GA. But you are right, perhaps this may change once the Charlotte center opens, as it may be just a bit closer.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:21 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,216,248 times
Yeah. The Columbia area has a lot of Publix locations. I love them! Glad they are coming up here, but I wouldn't shop there being it's on the SC border 30 minutes from me. It's basically driving to SC to shop at Publix in the location it is at.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:46 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,726,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
How can you even compare Publix to Food Lion? I've been in one Food Lion that was nice and it wasn't even in the Charlotte area. Sorry, but I disagree. The Publix(s) I used to go to compared to a Lowes Grocery. Very clean and large and very well stocked. I love their cakes. Everytime we go home, we go in and just walk around and buy a cake. We look like we are tourist in a museum. LOL But, we really miss it.
I wasn't really comparing Publix to Food Lion, just making a point with a silly analogy.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:28 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,999,806 times
Te thing that drives me to publix (besides I grew up shopping in them) is that they have good quality and nice employees for the fraction of the cost that HT offers. Yes, HT is nice. It's nice to have Starbucks when you shop but the price of soda and chips is ridiculous. I only shop HT for produce and meat but that was because publix wasn't here. We went to Walmart for staple items because it's sooo much cheaper. At publix we can do all of our shopping in one place because they do have quality items and they don't jack prices up for no reason. I cannot wait!!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:30 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,999,806 times
Oh annddd unlike HT they will make you a made to order boars head sub, always. HT claims that they only use the meat in the sub area. And the bakery is the best IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte