U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Indian Trail, NC
925 posts, read 1,859,639 times
Reputation: 374

Advertisements

I'm not interested in working in a warehouse or a grocery store (tried it, hated it), but I lived in Fl for 22 years and I do know that Publix is a good company to work for. They treat their employees well, pay them better and from what I have seen, usually have better customer service because of it. I have friends that have worked for them for over 20 years that wouldn't go anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2012, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 23,131,040 times
Reputation: 14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Oh annddd unlike HT they will make you a made to order boars head sub, always. HT claims that they only use the meat in the sub area. And the bakery is the best IMO.
I'm not sure I understand your statement. I have seen the guy behind the counter go out and get the Boars Head meat from the deli to make my sub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 01:47 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,982 posts, read 27,269,275 times
Reputation: 9008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Greenville-Spartanburg Publix stores are currently supplied by the Atlanta distribution center in Lawrenceville, GA. But you are right, perhaps this may change once the Charlotte center opens, as it may be just a bit closer.
I've heard that Greenville/Spartanburg will be served by Charlotte.

How do you rate Publix vs the new big Ingles stores for bakery & deli?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Huntersville
409 posts, read 990,571 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've heard that Greenville/Spartanburg will be served by Charlotte.

How do you rate Publix vs the new big Ingles stores for bakery & deli?

Publix's deli and bakery is the one thing that, in my opinion, clearly distinguishes them from all the similar chains like Ingles and HT. To me there is no comparison, the quality of the baked goods at a Publix bakery is way better than what you will find at any Ingles or HT (and I do shop quite often at the Kings Mountain Ingles). For example, their store-baked breads are really good - at HT and Ingles you can buy good bread, but it is made by outside bakers, and costs a lot more than the stuff Publix bakes for much less $$$$.

The quality and selection at the deli including prepared foods, fried chicken, etc. is normally a lot better than what I have seen at HT and Ingles.

Come to think of it, their dairy products (they own their own dairy) is also quite good and a bit better than what folks are used to getting with the HT and Ingles store brands.

I'd say that you could expect Publix to be more comparable to the new Ingles, with the exceptions above, than HT. HT tries to come across as more "upscale", while Ingles and Publix are less "pretentious" but offer good quality.

Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 04:41 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,986 posts, read 18,940,630 times
Reputation: 5255
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Regardless of whether you are a fan of Publix or not, this is great news for Charlotte. Having a division here means a Distribution Center (AKA working-class jobs) and a larger number of stores which will make HT (and Bi-Lo and Food Lion if they want to stick around in CLT) step up their games. They will probably supply their Columbia stores and maybe the Greenville-Spartanburg stores from this warehouse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Greenville-Spartanburg Publix stores are currently supplied by the Atlanta distribution center in Lawrenceville, GA. But you are right, perhaps this may change once the Charlotte center opens, as it may be just a bit closer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've heard that Greenville/Spartanburg will be served by Charlotte.

How do you rate Publix vs the new big Ingles stores for bakery & deli?
Publix market areas in Atlanta Division: Augusta (GA), Birmingham (AL), Chattanooga (TN), Columbia (SC), Greenville/Spartanburg (SC), Knoxville (TN), Montgomery (AL), Nashville (TN).

Publix's Charlotte Division will service the Greenville/Spartanburg and Columbia markets. Alabama and Tennessee markets will likely remain in the Atlanta Division unless another division, or two, is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've heard that the old Winn-Dixie distribution center is available in Charlotte.
Winn Dixie expanded the facility in the middle 1990s, then left the area in 2005. The facility could still be feaseble for supermarket use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
For whatever reason, Harris Teeter has not competed well against Publix in the markets I mentioned. But I do wish we still had HT here in Greenville, SC. I grew up in the Clt area and I miss them here. But Publix is a nice store also, and Clt will be well served by 2 outstanding supermarkets, and it should be good for competition. But I'm not sure if BiLo will survive. Food Lion probably, and Walmart on the discount end, and Publix and HT on the higher end.
Publix's entrance may cause someone to pull out. Lowe's Foods has tossed in their towel. Bi-Lo struggled in recent years, and is usually behind in the Charlotte area. Food Lion/Bottom Dollar will struggle greatly. Harris Teeter and Ingle's are concrete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 04:51 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,982 posts, read 27,269,275 times
Reputation: 9008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
Publix's deli and bakery is the one thing that, in my opinion, clearly distinguishes them from all the similar chains like Ingles and HT. To me there is no comparison, the quality of the baked goods at a Publix bakery is way better than what you will find at any Ingles or HT (and I do shop quite often at the Kings Mountain Ingles). For example, their store-baked breads are really good - at HT and Ingles you can buy good bread, but it is made by outside bakers, and costs a lot more than the stuff Publix bakes for much less $$$$.

The quality and selection at the deli including prepared foods, fried chicken, etc. is normally a lot better than what I have seen at HT and Ingles.

Come to think of it, their dairy products (they own their own dairy) is also quite good and a bit better than what folks are used to getting with the HT and Ingles store brands.

I'd say that you could expect Publix to be more comparable to the new Ingles, with the exceptions above, than HT. HT tries to come across as more "upscale", while Ingles and Publix are less "pretentious" but offer good quality.

Just my 2 cents.
Interesting. . .I'm happy to be able to buy the Vieira rolls at Ingles. They come from North Jersey, but is the type of bread used for sandwiches that you hear people pining for.

I was told that last year's reset at the Kings Mountain store used the Publix format.

I'm not too thrilled that Bob Ingle II lost the D&W contract. We were stuck with the DiLusso crap for a while & they've now brought in Boars Head which is over-priced in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
1,356 posts, read 2,295,671 times
Reputation: 605
Harris Teeter is launching two new upscale grocery stores in the Charlotte region called "201central"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 05:07 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,982 posts, read 27,269,275 times
Reputation: 9008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix market areas in Atlanta Division: Augusta (GA), Birmingham (AL), Chattanooga (TN), Columbia (SC), Greenville/Spartanburg (SC), Knoxville (TN), Montgomery (AL), Nashville (TN).

Publix's Charlotte Division will service the Greenville/Spartanburg and Columbia markets. Alabama and Tennessee markets will likely remain in the Atlanta Division unless another division, or two, is necessary.



Winn Dixie expanded the facility in the middle 1990s, then left the area in 2005. The facility could still be feaseble for supermarket use.



Publix's entrance may cause someone to pull out. Lowe's Foods has tossed in their towel. Bi-Lo struggled in recent years, and is usually behind in the Charlotte area. Food Lion/Bottom Dollar will struggle greatly. Harris Teeter and Ingle's are concrete.
I'm still wondering what Bob II is up to with expansion. Bob Ingle had spent a lot of time & had bought land in Lincolnton & finally got everything ironed out just before he died. I saw where Bob II took out a building permit this past spring & then did nothing. Maybe Bob would have been better off to have gone into Gastonia.

Lowes Foods dropped prices after leaving Charlotte. Overall their prices are competitive with Ingles now. I have no clue why Food Lion still has both stores open in Kings Mountain. If Publix or Lowes comes in, they're history. Based on what I see in Gastonia, Publix might get rid of Bi-Lo. Does Publix have the same effect of Food Lion that Ingles has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 05:07 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,986 posts, read 18,940,630 times
Reputation: 5255
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I was told that last year's reset at the Kings Mountain store used the Publix format.
Ingle's have been halving aisles at some stores. Otherwise, most Ingle's store updates have drive through pharmacies in front of store, Starbucks Coffee and fueling stations. Ingle's has expanded its Black Mountain facility for perishables and frozen goods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 05:14 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,982 posts, read 27,269,275 times
Reputation: 9008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Ingle's have been halving aisles at some stores. Otherwise, most Ingle's store updates have drive through pharmacies in front of store, Starbucks Coffee and fueling stations. Ingle's has expanded its Black Mountain facility for perishables and frozen goods.
Kings Mountain has the drive through pharmacy & fueling station but no Starbucks. I'm pretty sure that they have enough land to expand the store to the new larger size, which would expand the beer & wine & add the nursery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top