Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 11:53 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times

Advertisements

I tend to think that Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie will ultimately sell out to a larger competitor such as Kroger, or Publix may take over some of their locations in Charlotte. In Florida, Publix has about driven Winn Dixie and other competitors out of the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 12:06 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I tend to think that Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie will ultimately sell out to a larger competitor such as Kroger, or Publix may take over some of their locations in Charlotte. In Florida, Publix has about driven Winn Dixie and other competitors out of the market.
That's what I've heard.

I tried to find a picture of the new Publix stores online for people who aren't familiar. The ones that I found were on real estate sites, so I can't post those. If you could find a picture of a new Publix, that would help the discussion. in the mean time, for those unfamiliar with new Ingles stores, this is a picture of the Kings Mountain Ingles. Lord knows when the picture was taken because the parking lot is usually pretty full.

Google Image Result for http://www.omegaconstruction.com/projectgallery/photos/29_3_original.jpg

Old 11-03-2012, 01:37 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The question was whether Publix would push out an existing chain. I said that I thought that BiLo would leave. I've explained why.
Your rebuttal to someone who very logically laid out why the 40 Bi-Lo stores in Charlotte area (this is the Charlotte forum BTW) would not be leaving was to accuse him of being a Bi-Lo employee. This isn't much of an explanation in my book.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:57 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Your rebuttal to someone who very logically laid out why the 40 Bi-Lo stores in Charlotte area (this is the Charlotte forum BTW) would not be leaving was to accuse him of being a Bi-Lo employee. This isn't much of an explanation in my book.
I asked that person if he or she was a BiLo employee after that person ignored my explanation repeatedly, as you have. Other people have repeated what I said. This is a case of cause & effect that I'm explaining. When the effect shows up in the Charlotte area it is appropriate to the Charlotte board. Life is not simple. If you can not understand that 2 periferal players in the Charlotte market can cause an effect to the Charlotte market because of what they are doing elsewhere, that's fine. I'm not going to repeat it again.

I did, however, post a link to a picture of the 80K sq ft 4 year old Kings Mountain Ingles. If you don't think that stores like those can effect other chains, again, that's your business. Remember. The Teeters are gone from Cleveland & Gaston Counties. They are still in Lincoln County because neither Ingles nor Publix is there.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:50 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
I asked that person if he or she was a BiLo employee after that person ignored my explanation repeatedly, as you have.
There is a reason for this. Grocery shopping in Charlotte isn't affected by Cleveland county.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:34 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Quote:
One last time. . .

Winn Dixie left because of massive financial problems. BiLo was in bankruptcy not that long ago & was almost acquired by Food Lion. Shortly after coming out of bankruptcy BiLo bought Winn Dixie. BiLo is not as fiscally sound as any of the other players.

If Publix pressures Winn Dixie while Ingles pressures BiLo in the upstate & if Publix's entry to Charlotte creates more pressure on BiLo in Charlotte, the question is can BiLo fight back on 3 fronts at the same time. Probably not. The easiest thing for BiLo to do is leave Charlotte, add stores in the upstate & bolster Winn Dixie. If Publix entered the Charlotte market 5 years from now, BiLo could probably take the pressure on 3 fronts. I've seen this play out elsewhere with different stores.

The question was whether Publix would push out an existing chain. I said that I thought that BiLo would leave. I've explained why.

I don't care what you think of the various stores but if you have not been in one of the new Ingles, you don't know what you're talking about. Teeter pulled out of Gaston & Cleveland Counties because if they wanted to compete they'd have to do some building & they wanted to circle the wagons to wait for Publix. Lowes Foods is a better fit with Ingles & slashed their prices to compete.
If you want to be exact, BI-LO didn't "buy" Winn-Dixie. The companies merged. You're putting BI-LO and Winn-Dixie in two different categories, when they're both in the same. Therefore, you'd be saying Publix and Ingles (two different categories) are pressuring Winn-Dixie and BI-LO. What happens if Winn-Dixie comes back to Charlotte? What if BI-LO were to add more stores in Charlotte? I've been in a few newer Ingles. Yes, the stores are very nice. That does not mean Ingles is on the Publix/Harris Teeter "level". Ingles is only prominent western NC, not the Charlotte market. Harris Teeter and BI-LO are focused in the Charlotte metro within the state. No ones leaving.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:53 PM

372 posts, read 658,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
If you want to be exact, BI-LO didn't "buy" Winn-Dixie. The companies merged. You're putting BI-LO and Winn-Dixie in two different categories, when they're both in the same. Therefore, you'd be saying Publix and Ingles (two different categories) are pressuring Winn-Dixie and BI-LO. What happens if Winn-Dixie comes back to Charlotte? What if BI-LO were to add more stores in Charlotte? I've been in a few newer Ingles. Yes, the stores are very nice. That does not mean Ingles is on the Publix/Harris Teeter "level". Ingles is only prominent western NC, not the Charlotte market. Harris Teeter and BI-LO are focused in the Charlotte metro within the state. No ones leaving.
Technically, Bi-lo did buy Winn-Dixie for $560 million. Bi-lo's CFO is in charge of the new company.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:10 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Bi-Lo's parent company, Lone Star Funds, acquired Winn Dixie and took them into a private company. Lone Star Funds unified both Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie into a single entity, Bi-Lo Holdings, whoses central operations are based in Winn Dixie's corporate facilities in Jacksonville, Florida. Regional offices were retained. Lone Star Funds has had Bi-Lo up for sale on several occassions. I would not be surprised if Lone Star Funds divests Bi-Lo Holdings off to someone else, say another grocer.

Publix's entrance into the Charlotte market will gradually shake up the competition. Publix outnumbers Winn Dixie stores 4 to 1 in Florida. Food Lion closed its stores in Florida and several newer stores in upstate South Carolina, just six years after entering the market. Bi-Lo has not added stores in years, spending too much focus redecorating stores just to look good. Ingle's has not added stores in years, less than a handful in Charlotte's western metropolitan area, but are rebuilding, expanding and improving most of its stores.

Harris Teeter is a great supermarket and did very well in upstate South Carolina. I wished HT opened more stores instead of divesting stores to Bi-Lo.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:01 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
All this talk about Publix, Harris Teeter, Bi-lo, Food Lion ect, is moot. Just bring in a Piggly Wiggly and be done with it.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:03 PM

372 posts, read 722,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
So simple, apparently, that you failed to get the context of what was posted.

I'm a realist and this is business. There is no emotional silliness. Hating or liking a store has nothing to do with what I've said.

Business is business and HT is going to defend it's home turf. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. If they had not taken this approach they would have not survived in Charlotte since the 1930s where many many others have failed.
Failed? I got your context completely. How hard is it to get you to answer a simple question. Who is "We?"

As far as business 101 goes, likability and brand loyalty go a long way when it comes to the bottom line. I like the fact you're putting Publix in the same basket as all the rest. Funny how all of a sudden, HT is now marketing a triple coupon campaign.....

You're really "Mr Harris Teeter" aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte