U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
Reputation: 1272

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
... because Ingles probably could do just fine in Charlotte if they decided to expand. Still, I'm not sure they had a whole lot to do with HT leaving Cleveland and Gaston counties, IMO it was probably more just the fact that IIRC most of those HT's were older and smaller, and not your "typical" HT.
Ingles is a Western NC chain that has been around for decades, it comes to mind then why are they not located in the largest city in Western NC? This speaks for itself in regards for competing in Charlotte.

On the rest, I'm not sure why Bi-Lo would sell profitable stores to Publix. I'm not sure why Publix would bother to purchase stores priced like Bi-Lo would price them in order to secure a location.

There is a lot of hype about Publix, but so far, in this area, they consist of 2 stores located way out on the fringes. So, they have yet to match even what Lowes, Kroger, Hanniford's or even Giant Genie, accomplished in Charlotte. When they start building stores and winning over people inside the city of Charlotte, then this might be worth discussing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2012, 10:56 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
Why is it that Chik Fil A does as well as it does charging the prices they do?
I never eat there, but I assume that people pay those prices because they like chicken breast soaked in pickle juice. I prefer KFC myself.

"We" = Southern dialect that implies "we have seen". (in casu)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 11:03 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Piggly Wiggly had several stores in upstate South Carolina at one time. Piggly Wiggly closed two Spartanburg stores in the 1990s with present competition from Bi-Lo, Ingle's, Harris Teeter, Winn Dixie and whatever was left of Community Cash. Piggly Wiggly would resurface in several old Community Cash stores in Blacksburg, Cowpens and Pacolet, all in Cherokee and Spartanburg counties. Those three stores closed three years ago, creating food deserts in Cowpens and Pacolet and leaving Food Lion as the only grocer in Blacksburg.

Piggly Wiggly still operates in upstate South Carolina with four stores in Greenwood County.
This explains a lot. Thank you. Any time I go to the Kings Mountain Ingles about 1/2 of the cars are from SC. I've continued to hear comments about the nasty Piggly Wiggly in Blacksburg & assumed that it was still open. Apparently, it's just its reputation that lives on.

This probably explains why I heard that Publix is also looking at Kings Mountain a while back.

Last edited by southbound_295; 11-04-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 AM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Ingles is a Western NC chain that has been around for decades, it comes to mind then why are they not located in the largest city in Western NC? This speaks for itself in regards for competing in Charlotte.

On the rest, I'm not sure why Bi-Lo would sell profitable stores to Publix. I'm not sure why Publix would bother to purchase stores priced like Bi-Lo would price them in order to secure a location.

There is a lot of hype about Publix, but so far, in this area, they consist of 2 stores located way out on the fringes. So, they have yet to match even what Lowes, Kroger, Hanniford's or even Giant Genie, accomplished in Charlotte. When they start building stores and winning over people inside the city of Charlotte, then this might be worth discussing.
Is Charlotte part of western NC? Regardless, what difference does that make? Harris Teeter is based in Charlotte and has been around for decades, why are they not located in the largest city and capital of SC just 90 miles away? I don't know nor do I care.

I was just speculating about Bi-Lo. They don't really have a large presence in Charlotte and after just recently coming out of bankruptcy, they might want to capitalize on the few desirable locations that they actually have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 11:43 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Maybe topchief has been to Piggly Wiggly in the Charleston area? That's where they have most of their nicer, larger stores (and a few in the Myrtle Beach and Savannah areas).



Yeah, he doesn't always like answering simple questions, but to be honest I think he is really only talking about the people of Charlotte when he says "we" in the quote below.



But speaking of this quote, I do actually agree in part that HT is not all that concerned about Ingles, at least not yet. However I disagree with the second part, because Ingles probably could do just fine in Charlotte if they decided to expand. Still, I'm not sure they had a whole lot to do with HT leaving Cleveland and Gaston counties, IMO it was probably more just the fact that IIRC most of those HT's were older and smaller, and not your "typical" HT.

To the second paragraph, I've said before that while HT is probably the most similar store to Publix in Charlotte, I think Publix is a good compromise between quality, cleanliness, and price. In fact I'm not sure if overall Bi-Lo's prices are even much lower if at all than Publix. I know you weren't saying as much, but no one said that Publix is trying to drive Harris Teeter out of Charlotte. They will most likely take a chunk of their market share, but it's going to be a long time until Publix becomes the #1 grocer in Charlotte, if ever. I'm still confident that at least their initial stores will be very successful, if only for no other reason than that there isn't that many of them; so if people want to shop at Publix they will drive there, whereas there is an HT on every corner. We will see how many they end up building, but if it's a lot, again I wouldn't be surprised if it spells the end of Bi-Lo. But even if that happens, it may not necessarily be totally because Bi-Lo couldn't make it, but also because Publix might want to buy some of their locations.
That was my point. Ingles has built nice stores, while the majority of Teeters were sub par, even by Food Lion standards. If they wanted to stay they had to build new, better stores. They chose to divest to Lowes Foods who also got a cash payment because their stores that Teeter took over were better stores. Lowes Foods fixed up the former Teeters & slashed prices. As it stands, if Food Lion withdrew from Cleveland County & Lowes Foods took over their stores few would notice it or care.

Bob Ingle had purchased land in Lincoln County, in Iron Station. He negotiated about various factors for several years then died. Bob Ingle was also pursuing land in Gastonia & Belmont. prior to his death. His son, Bob II, has chosen to strengthen their position in Upstate SC.

Had Bob Ingle built the store in Iron Station prior to his death, I have no doubt that Harris Teeter would have divested the Lincolnton store to Lowes Food as well. This proves that, without the presence of a nice new Ingles, Teeter was not anxious to leave an area that is not urban.

I don't think that BiLo is going away immediately, unless their holding company puts them up for sale again & someone else moves in. They are the weakest player, financially, though.

Last edited by southbound_295; 11-04-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 12:34 PM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That was my point. Ingles has built nice stores, while the majority of Teeters were sub par, even by Food Lion standards. If they wanted to stay they had to build new, better stores. They chose to divest to Lowes Foods who also got a cash payment because their stores that Teeter took over were better stores.
Fair enough. Yeah, for the most part an old, small, run-down store is going to be no match for a nice big shiny new one, regardless of what two chains we're talking about. So yeah, if someone builds a new store in Lincolnton, that little Teeter could be in trouble. But speaking of Lincoln County (which I think threw me off a bit because you said they're only in Lincoln County because Ingles isn't), HT does have a nice store in Denver which isn't going anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 01:18 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Fair enough. Yeah, for the most part an old, small, run-down store is going to be no match for a nice big shiny new one, regardless of what two chains we're talking about. So yeah, if someone builds a new store in Lincolnton, that little Teeter could be in trouble. But speaking of Lincoln County (which I think threw me off a bit because you said they're only in Lincoln County because Ingles isn't), HT does have a nice store in Denver which isn't going anywhere.
Teeter announced that they did the deal with Lowes Foods because they were leaving rural areas. This was a lie. They left Gastonia (pop. 72K+) because people in Gastonia are going to, primarily, the Dallas Ingles. They were not getting the influx from people who come up from Blacksburg to shop in Gastonia because they go to the Kings Mountain Ingles. They are still in Lincolnton (pop. 10K+) because the Ingles has not been built there, yet. That site could be a problem in the future for Ingles because it was intended to be a 55K square foot store like Dallas. Bob II has dropped that size store. I suppose that he could resurrect the plans for that piece of land. There's a big chunk of open land on Garrison in Gastonia on the former site of 2 Parkdale mills & a warehouse. It's zoned commercial. My guess is that a supermarket will go onto that land because that area is underserved. I suspect that Parkdale is asking too much, so it might take a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 02:32 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,278,925 times
Reputation: 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm sorry, BiLo's holding company bought it.

Not the same level? You mean over-priced? The weekly ads don't really match up, but how's this.

Publix (This is a Publix thread.)

porterhouse or t-bone steaks USDA choice - $7.99 lb

Harris Teeter

porterhouse or t-bone steaks - $8.97 lb (ad did not mention grade)

Food Lion

porterhouse or t-bone steaks USDA choice - $7.99 lb

The other 3 don't match.

Bi-Lo

Boneless sirloin tip roast (angus) - $3.49 lb (ad did not mention grade)

Ingles

Boneless sirloin tip roast USDA choice - $3.28

Lowes Foods

bone-in angus strip steak USDA choice $5.77 lb
FWIW, the only beef grades seen in stores are prime (seldom seen), choice (almost all beef in all but truly high-end or low end stores is choice), and select (I can't remember the last time I've seen select).

Beef - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
...JAPERY ...
Had to look that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I never eat there, but I assume that people pay those prices because they like chicken breast soaked in pickle juice. I prefer KFC myself.

"We" = Southern dialect that implies "we have seen". (in casu)
People pay for the consistently high food quality, correct orders, and quick and friendly service. As fast food goes CFA has the highest standards in its daily operation that I've seen. I seldom eat there, because I try not to eat fast food often, but without exception my orders have been correct, temp appropriate, and served quickly by friendly people. I don't think they are much more expensive than other fast food places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 02:41 PM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
FWIW, the only beef grades seen in stores are prime (seldom seen)...
Costco sells prime grades of beef as well as choice. It's the only place I've seen it for sale in a retail store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,278,925 times
Reputation: 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Costco sells prime grades of beef as well as choice. It's the only place I've seen it for sale in a retail store.
Some Harris Teeters, The Fresh Market, The Meat House, What's Your Beef, etc, all sell prime, especially around this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top