U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,001,424 times

Advertisements

PDF, I entirely disagree and think this is personal perception only. I lived in South Florida and you did not need a car to get to a Publix. That goes for the majority down there. I think it was probably where you live that it seems like that.
But I do agree that I love publix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 PM

1,803 posts, read 3,838,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
I have found absolutely no difference between HT and Publix. Prices on items differ a couple of cents here or there, and the subs cheaper at Publix daily, but HT has footlong Friday. As for customer service how much are you looking for from a grocery store.. Every grocery store in this country is laid out the same. Dairy in the back (Marketing) fresh vegetables in the front (again marketing,) everything else in between makes it easy to find things. As for cashiers and baggers, I could care a less if I have to bag my own stuff, and sure as hell do not need someone to take them to my car.
Again, I must disagree but I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. Consistently I have found many of the items that I purchase to be quite a bit cheaper at Publix. A few items are about the same and I don't remember anything being more expensive. Even my husband is astounded and he rarely notices anything. Although he has mentioned about high prices at some of the items at Teeter. Last time he was with me he noticed a big difference in price on Oreo cookies.

As far as carrying out the bags, I don't think anyone said they NEED to have someone take out the bags to their car, but it's nice customer service and shows that the store actually cares about their customers, unlike many stores that I go into lately. A couple of times I told them I could take the bags, but they insisted on doing it. Maybe it's because I am a 60 YO 5'2" woman, but I prefer for someone else to pack for me so that I can pay attention to the order, my coupons and getting it paid for so that I'm not holding up someone else in the line. Plus having someone else pack frees the checkout person to get their job done, again so as to not hold up the line. If the checkout person has to stop and bag, it takes twice as long per person.

Talking about deli departments.......if you want to wait FOREVER at a deli, go to the Food Lion in Indian Land. And that's when there are no other customers there, if there is someone else waiting, well forget it.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 PM

174 posts, read 168,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Sweetbay is Food Lion with some polish on it.

HT keeps the Coca Cola artificially high in order to run a "sale" almost every other week. Recently, the sale was "buy 2 get 3 free", which is essentially 5 for 13.00 or 2.60 each. Every so often, they'll run it at a deceptive "buy 3 get 2 free", which looks the same at first glance but is actually 3.90 each.
I checked more products and still thought HT was high, higher than the Publix I used. My sister just moved to Charlotte and she thought HT was high. She came from Montgomery, Al.

Publix has an industry reputation of being a very good store in terms of layout, offers, customer service, corporate, and financial stability. They seem to bend over backwards to please their customers and if you have a complaint, they take care of it. Pronto. Now, they are higher than Sweetbay, but have many BOGO sales, etc. And a truly OUTSTANDING bakery. Way above competitors.

Well, I'm sure if I lived there I'd find my "niche" and shop a couple of stores. Never liked Food Lion, maybe they've improved, but Sweetbay is somewhat better. IMHO of course.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,057,335 times
As far as bagging my own groceries, I hate it when I have to do that. Its not often, but I'm usually unprepared and get a late start, its not a big deal, but I guess I'm just so used to not doing it. I do like the fact that Publix takes it to your car, HT does that, too, but its more of a "you don't want help to your car, do you??" when they bother to ask, where at Publix you have to actually get into a physical altercation to get your own cart. And once you make it to the parking lot by yourself, someone else usually jumps right in and helps you. No, I don't need it, nor really want the help, but it is terrific customer service.

But talking about spoiled, I am used to not having to load the groceries onto the conveyor belt, and having to do that was annoying. I guess its what you get used to, my family from up north laughs at me when I'm put off having to bag my own groceries, but pump my own gas without a second thought.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:37 PM

28 posts, read 58,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
the selection of products it way different. Publix has more of anything you could want. Go look for Mojo Crillio marinade at HT then go look at Publix.. that's just 1 sample...
No disrespect intended, but buying mojo criollo at HT or Publix is like buying tacos at Taco Bell. Why not just go to Compare Foods and buy the real authentic stuff instead of the watered down version?

Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,280,740 times
Deli/Bakery at Publix is far superior compared to HT.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,481,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
With the explosion of the craft beer market the past 4 years, I expect more from a high end market.
Yeah. But even HT's selection of craft beers (local or otherwise) is fairly limited (although they do at least carry some). Personally, I wonder if there is even really much call for a larger craft beer selection there or if they simply have not paid much attention to it and would rather leave that segment of the market to places like Brawley's, Good Bottle and Salud, etc. or even Total Wine.

Although I understand that HT's new "upscale" stores (201 Central) is supposed to have a much larger beer selection, yet I have not actually set foot in one as of yet.

Quote:
I don't expect to find a barrel aged Foothills People Porter there,
Would have been nice to get a VIC card discount on a 6-pack of Westvleteren XII (although even at half the sale price I don't think it was worth it)

Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM

714 posts, read 2,032,263 times
Quote:
The deli is the same way in Fort Mill. There does not seem to be any incentive to move things along quicker. I'll stick with HT for my Boar's Head.
I have heard from my husband reports of the slow sandwich station on Saturdays. You can now pre-order deli items and sandwiches at Publix.com. I did that last week and walked up to the cash register (to the right of the deli/sandwich area) to find my sub and deli items waiting in the cases for me. I only had two other items on me, so the cashier there offered to check all of my items out right then and there!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:27 PM

714 posts, read 2,032,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
don't go to publix! please! keeps the lines down for me! I'll be there 3-4 times a week! stay out of my way!
I agree! Please stay away! I love the incredible selection, the ridiculously friendly staff, and the clean store. Can't wait until the Providence Road South Publix is in place next to the Walgreens.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,001,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
I agree! Please stay away! I love the incredible selection, the ridiculously friendly staff, and the clean store. Can't wait until the Providence Road South Publix is in place next to the Walgreens.

Errrr??? Elaborate please. I had not heard this yet, but YAAAYYYYYYYY!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte