U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 12:57 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don't think there are a ton of items you will find at Publix that you can't find at HT. I haven't done a full shopping trip at Publix, but there are a few items I buy a lot that are significantly cheaper at Publix compared to HT. Was your total bill not much different at Publix compared to HT (not counting the things you couldn't find I guess)?

What did you think of the deli and bakery? HT does have a pretty good one as well, but that is one area that a lot of Publix backers are fans of.
No, didn't see any significant savings on my regular items at all - the "market basket" stuff, I guess one could call it.

The deli and bakery were what I have heard folks so excited over in the past. So maybe I was expecting too much . . . ? I liked them both just fine - but again - nothing that bowled me over as being significantly different as opposed to what HT offers.

I was expecting to see some cuban bread, for ex., and didn't. I buy Cuban bread at Publix when I go to Florida (Orlando and Tampa areas) so was surprised there was none.

I didn't dislike Publix - just didnt' find anything there that made it stand out from H-T. I think I was expecting too much b/c of all the comments I have heard f/ others over the years (about how H-T was so disappointing compared to Publix).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 01:05 PM

5,902 posts, read 7,757,567 times
I thought the Publixes here did have Cuban bread? I think I do remember one poster saying they were sold out a couple times though.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 PM

22,015 posts, read 27,311,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Ohhhh! That makes a lot of sense! Maybe I should have been looking with an eye towards those types of products! I never thought of that. Good observation, SB!

I wish someone carried a good section of Indian food (ingredients, spices, bread). I did find a store not far from me so I suppose I should just be thankful for that (and I am).

I will have to see if those Cubanelle peppers are at Publix when I venture into one again!
I'm used to multinational ingredients which I have worked into variations of things that I make that are just plain old Midwestern American.

The Kings Mountain Ingles has an international aisle that includes Indian.

The Cubanelle peppers are the all-important ingredient for making peppers & onions & sausage, peppers, & onions.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 PM

GOPHILS: Hubby just told me that what he has heard people say they love at Publix: wonderful CAKES and KEY LIME PIE. I didn't really look closely at the variety of cakes and pies as I have been cutting back on desserts the last few months. So that may be some of what folks love about the Bakery!

Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I thought the Publixes here did have Cuban bread? I think I do remember one poster saying they were sold out a couple times though.
Well, maybe I hit it on an "out" day. I will just call and ask if they do ordinarily stock it. I love making Cuban sandwiches and that bread really is different enough (the texture, it seems) from italian/french loaves that I would seek it out.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 PM

I am assuming you have to order these ahead . . . but look at that list of cakes. OMG.

Food & Entertaining - Publix Bakery Selections - Decadent Desserts

This list has me convinced that the next time I need a cake for a get together, I am going to be ordering it from Publix. I bet that is one of the things that folks go nuts about in re: to Publix bakery.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I don't think there are a ton of items you will find at Publix that you can't find at HT. I haven't done a full shopping trip at Publix, but there are a few items I buy a lot that are significantly cheaper at Publix compared to HT. Was your total bill not much different at Publix compared to HT (not counting the things you couldn't find I guess)?

What did you think of the deli and bakery? HT does have a pretty good one as well, but that is one area that a lot of Publix backers are fans of.
I could be wrong, but I think that some of the "regular" items that we were used to were actually ethnic & might be carried in more quantity by Publix. If they move bigger quantities they can charge less.

It's like when I get the chopped hot cherry peppers, Ingles only carries the San Del, even though they carry the Cento line in other products. The price isn't great, but I'm grateful to get it at all.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I could be wrong, but I think that some of the "regular" items that we were used to were actually ethnic & might be carried in more quantity by Publix. If they move bigger quantities they can charge less.

It's like when I get the chopped hot cherry peppers, Ingles only carries the San Del, even though they carry the Cento line in other products. The price isn't great, but I'm grateful to get it at all.
That's the thing . . . if you can find a specialty item, it's a big deal regardless of price. I don't think HT carries those exact hot cherry peppers. I will look next trip.

It is amazing how much of my time is taken up with the search for food and ingredients, lol.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:23 PM

398 posts, read 760,196 times
Quote:
I wish someone carried a good section of Indian food (ingredients, spices, bread). I did find a store not far from me so I suppose I should just be thankful for that (and I am).
Are you in Charlotte? Patel brothers

Old 06-18-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
That's the thing . . . if you can find a specialty item, it's a big deal regardless of price. I don't think HT carries those exact hot cherry peppers. I will look next trip.

It is amazing how much of my time is taken up with the search for food and ingredients, lol.
LOL, there must be a minimum of 6 brands of the hot cherry peppers in the Delaware Valley. Most people use them for hoagie-like sandwiches, if they don't buy a hoagie. Cento is the best seller, there. But the San Del is from B&G, who Ingles also carry, so they carry the one brand & their product placement makes not a whit of sense to me, but I found it & it's better than not getting any.

When you can free up time, you really do need to try my Ingles. You might find a one stop source for a lot of items that you hunt for. It's a blend of Southern, Midwestern & MidAtlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte