U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 PM

3,452 posts, read 3,133,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I also prefer that hubby bags, and he prefers doing it as well. He worked his way through college bagging at a grocery store and he does it much, much better. He keeps all the cold stuff together, puts the boxed stuff in neatly and keeps easily damaged items towards the tops. And he does it all using 30% less bags! I told him that he needs to start a "grocery bagging" school to teach the current crop how to do it properly!

We are extremely happy with our Publix down in Indian Land. Much nicer, and usually cheaper, produce, have many things that we were unable to find down here. Very rarely are out of stock of an advertised item, and if they are they are very willing and happy to check in the back for more stock. Not like the surly looks I get at HT. Customer service is unparalleled. Very neat and clean and doesn't have a bunch of freestanding displays to have to navigate around. Unfortunately, though, I just found out that they are no longer doubling coupons. But overall I have found out that their prices are lower than HT anyway.
Not so sure about that, I've always received great customer service at Harris Teeter and very nice stores....some times too friendly, get out of my way.

I use the self-checkout lanes...it's rather simple to me, scan, bag, pay, go home. I compare it to air travel or going through the security check at the airport, the rookies are too obvious but the seasoned traveler is prepared...the wallet, coins, cellphone etc. etc into the laptop bag....wear easy to remove shoes, etc. The self checkout lane isn't rocket science and the Harris Teeter I patron is quick to open other regular checkout lanes when a long line forms....never had a problem.

That said, I've been to several Publix in other states and they're ok and good to have another competitor in the market place. I still don't think they can lowball pricing to the levels of Food Lion so I highly doubt Food Lion is greatly concerned...different target market but who knows.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 02-27-2014 at 09:33 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 09:37 PM

3,452 posts, read 3,133,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
I don't like them because Harris Teeter overuses them. I'll have a bunch of 12-packs of Coke, bottles of water, and Teeter expects me to balance them on that small bagging area or the register will error out.
I usually stack items like water or soda cartoons prior to bagging; pay, bag, and then out the door. My only issue is fresh produce without the code labels ....that usually slows me down sometimes.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:15 PM

357 posts, read 559,548 times
Publix opened another store today in Rock Hill on Cherry Road.

It's the former Super Bi Lo location.

The Cherry Road location was one of seven Bi-Lo stores Publix purchased in September 2013 in the Carolinas. It was gutted and “completely remade in the Publix image,” said store manager Ray Musser. He has been with Publix for 16 years, most recently as store manager in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

Locations on Heckle Boulevard in Rock Hill and in Lake Wylie were also among those purchased. No date has been set for their reopening.

News and Observer Article

Old 03-26-2014, 06:44 PM

19,961 posts, read 18,797,634 times
Publix store 1485 should be very nice and an instant success.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:15 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,370,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
Publix opened another store today in Rock Hill on Cherry Road.

It's the former Super Bi Lo location.

The Cherry Road location was one of seven Bi-Lo stores Publix purchased in September 2013 in the Carolinas. It was gutted and “completely remade in the Publix image,” said store manager Ray Musser. He has been with Publix for 16 years, most recently as store manager in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

Locations on Heckle Boulevard in Rock Hill and in Lake Wylie were also among those purchased. No date has been set for their reopening.

News and Observer Article
A location in Matthews was also purchased and the unofficial estimate is a late May opening.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:36 AM

161 posts, read 263,401 times
I have been driving to the Ballantyne location because it is worth the drive compared to HT. Does anyone know when the McKee Farms location will open. I am not sure how HT can survive Publix...some of my staple items were half the price of HT at Publix!

Old 03-27-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinlp View Post
I have been driving to the Ballantyne location because it is worth the drive compared to HT. Does anyone know when the McKee Farms location will open. I am not sure how HT can survive Publix...some of my staple items were half the price of HT at Publix!
It will be the very next one to open. Scheduled for the beginning of summer (Mid 2014)

Old 03-27-2014, 08:00 AM

161 posts, read 263,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
It will be the very next one to open. Scheduled for the beginning of summer (Mid 2014)
Thank you!!

Old 03-27-2014, 11:23 AM

185 posts, read 224,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinlp View Post
Ex-LI was talking about this location when he/she said "late May"

Old 03-27-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energee View Post
Ex-LI was talking about this location when he/she said "late May"
That's "McKee Farms"

It the same one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte