Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM

372 posts, read 658,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
I think you will find Publix more costly than Food Lion at least I did in South Florida
and Food Lion is headquartered in North Carolina so they will put up a good fight
Food Lion is less expensive IMO than HT and Publix. That being said, I remember when 20/20 did that expose' on Food Lion regarding their fresh meat department, that really turned me off since that and I could probably count on 2 hands how many times I have shopped in one over the last 20 yrs. The ones that I have been in always seem very empty regarding customers. In fact the closest one to me was closed down several months ago, I feel that Bi-lo may be next to leave. Here in the Steele Creek area, we have an HT and Publix directly across the stree from each other and the Bi-lo is always empty.

I can almost envision Publix paying Bi-lo to take over those stores in Charlotte.

In 5 yrs I can see that HT/Publix/Walmart having the majority of the industry in Charlotte with Aldi's/Food Lion/Target/Sam's Club/ and Costco having a small cut. Fresh Market/ Trader Joe's/ and Whole Foods will have their loyal customers and will still be around as well.

I can see Bi-lo out of the market.

I do not see Food Lion leaving the market entirely, but I can see them being diminished. Even though that they are headquarted in NC doesn't mean a thing. Lowe's Foods is also based in NC yet they are gone from Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 11:35 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
Food Lion is less expensive IMO than HT and Publix. That being said, I remember when 20/20 did that expose' on Food Lion regarding their fresh meat department, that really turned me off since that and I could probably count on 2 hands how many times I have shopped in one over the last 20 yrs. The ones that I have been in always seem very empty regarding customers. In fact the closest one to me was closed down several months ago, I feel that Bi-lo may be next to leave. Here in the Steele Creek area, we have an HT and Publix directly across the stree from each other and the Bi-lo is always empty.

I can almost envision Publix paying Bi-lo to take over those stores in Charlotte.

In 5 yrs I can see that HT/Publix/Walmart having the majority of the industry in Charlotte with Aldi's/Food Lion/Target/Sam's Club/ and Costco having a small cut. Fresh Market/ Trader Joe's/ and Whole Foods will have their loyal customers and will still be around as well.

I can see Bi-lo out of the market.

I do not see Food Lion leaving the market entirely, but I can see them being diminished. Even though that they are headquarted in NC doesn't mean a thing. Lowe's Foods is also based in NC yet they are gone from Charlotte.
I agree that BiLo will leave.. The question is whether they sell out to Publix or Ingles or some to each. Lowes Foods is doing fine. They cleaned up the Teeters & slashed prices to compete with Ingles.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
Really, I have never had anyone at a Food Lion offer to do anything for me. I have only been in one that I thought was nice and clean. I couldn't even compare Food Lion to Publix. For me, there is no comparison.
Ingles is nice. They remind me of Publix, but when I lived near them, no one ever offered to take out my groceries.
if I have more that a couple of bags, if they aren't slammed, I'm always asked if I want a bag boy to load my car at my Ingles..

Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree that BiLo will leave.. The question is whether they sell out to Publix or Ingles or some to each. Lowes Foods is doing fine. They cleaned up the Teeters & slashed prices to compete with Ingles.
I don't think BI-LO will leave the Charlotte market. With their headquarters in South Carolina, and 26 stores located within the Charlotte metro, it gives Lowes, Food Lion, ect competition.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:11 PM

372 posts, read 658,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
I don't think BI-LO will leave the Charlotte market. With their headquarters in South Carolina, and 26 stores located within the Charlotte metro, it gives Lowes, Food Lion, ect competition.

Lowe's has left the market. I know Gastonia has a couple, but otherwise they are gone. I just think that Bi-lo's share will continue to get smaller as Publix moves in. Lowe's has pulled out of all 10 of the area's stores.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:28 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Even though Bi-Lo was the one that bought Winn-Dixie, they plan to eventually move the HQ to FL.

BI-LO AND WINN-DIXIE COMPLETE MERGER - BI-LO

Old 11-01-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
BiLo's main focus is in the deep South now. Ingles has been putting pressure on them in upstate SC. The Dallas Ingles is putting pressure on the Gastonia BiLos. If the pressure here continues to increase, they'll sell out here.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Even though Bi-Lo was the one that bought Winn-Dixie, they plan to eventually move the HQ to FL.

BI-LO AND WINN-DIXIE COMPLETE MERGER - BI-LO
I agree. I've been hearing for a while that their acquisition of Winn Dixie will speed up their departure from Charlotte. they are already competing with Publix & Ingles in the Greenville/Spartanburg market.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:58 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Even if their HQ's are moved to FL, BI-LO has a large persistence in the Carolina's. BI-LO also doesn't only operate in the Charlotte market within the state. While their business has definitely declined within the last couple of years, having a new grocer come into the state doesn't necessarily mean BI-LO will leave. With Publix currently only having plans to come to Charlotte, BI-LO could open in areas that do not have many other grocers to compete with.

Or you could be completely right and they could leave the state.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Even if their HQ's are moved to FL, BI-LO has a large persistence in the Carolina's. BI-LO also doesn't only operate in the Charlotte market within the state. While their business has definitely declined within the last couple of years, having a new grocer come into the state doesn't necessarily mean BI-LO will leave. With Publix currently only having plans to come to Charlotte, BI-LO could open in areas that do not have many other grocers to compete with.

Or you could be completely right and they could leave the state.
I've heard that they will leave the Charlotte area for 3 years. I don't know if it's true, but I've heard it from multiple people.

This is what I see:

BiLo operates with Food Lion, Publix, & Ingles in Upstate SC

4 years ago, Bob Ingle built an 80K square-foot store in Kings Mountain & the following March opened a 55K sq ft store in Dallas. Bob Ingle also bought land in Lincolnton & was looking tn Gastonia & Belmont. Then Bob Ingle died & his son Bob II became the head of the chain. Bob II stopped expansion for a year & expanded their distribution center at Black Mountain. He has started infilling in the Upstate. Now Publix is coming into the Charlotte market from the south. No one knows when Bob II will start building again from the west.

Are you getting the picture? You have to look at the 2 markets to get the whole picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte