U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2012, 04:22 AM

981 posts, read 963,233 times

Advertisements

they give athletic scholarships and recruit for sports,I thought the did not. Anyone know if this is true.We had this conversation last night at a sporting practice I went to and I am curious if anyone knows?

Catholic - not sure
Country Day says it does not but not sure if they mean it
Latin - hasn't said
Providence Day- I think does
Charlotte Christian - does not I heard

I am not trying to start a bad thread, I am genuinely interested in this from the conversation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:32 AM

45 posts, read 56,567 times
I don't know about here in Charlotte but back in New Jersey where I grew up private schools did give scholarships, both athletic and academic.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooneRT View Post
I don't know about here in Charlotte but back in New Jersey where I grew up private schools did give scholarships, both athletic and academic.
I am more wondering about the recruit thing, but thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 07:52 AM

8,410 posts, read 9,250,461 times
There is an issue right now with private schools being able to take students regardless of where they live, and therefore having the opportunity to stack the deck relative to public schools. I think there is supposed to be a hearing/vote on this soon.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
There is an issue right now with private schools being able to take students regardless of where they live, and therefore having the opportunity to stack the deck relative to public schools. I think there is supposed to be a hearing/vote on this soon.
hmmm I did not realize this, this may explain some things. Maybe there is an even bigger push for signing them on this year if there is to be a hearing/vote soon. Do you know if there is a link about this at all?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 AM

45,120 posts, read 56,997,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
they give athletic scholarships and recruit for sports,I thought the did not. Anyone know if this is true.We had this conversation last night at a sporting practice I went to and I am curious if anyone knows?

Catholic - not sure
Country Day says it does not but not sure if they mean it
Latin - hasn't said
Providence Day- I think does
Charlotte Christian - does not I heard

I am not trying to start a bad thread, I am genuinely interested in this from the conversation
I am not aware of, and have never heard any rumors about, any "recruiting".

Scholarships for needy students, yes, but not just because a kid is a good athlete.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 AM

8,410 posts, read 9,250,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
Do you know if there is a link about this at all?
Well, no. I can't find anything on it, but I know I read it within the last couple days. I think.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:00 PM

2,136 posts, read 761,640 times
Story in todays Salisbury Post in sports. Galleger about right and wrong

Last edited by Boss; 04-19-2012 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 05-01-2012, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 5,823 times
Default Catholic Doesn't

I don't believe Catholic does. I'm saying that because I went there, and everyone who was on the sports teams had pretty much attended the MACS system since Kindergarten, there were no (at least from what I could tell when I graduated in 05) athletes who just randomly started attending high school there. I'm not sure if there were any families who got price cuts to stay, but it certainly didn't seem like anyone was recruited in. I can say this with a fair amount of confidence because we tended to get no more than 5 new students a year in per grade level, and they were usually people who moved in from out of state, so there was no constant come and go of students and you knew who was who.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:15 PM

3,534 posts, read 3,447,286 times
NCHSAA reviews Charlotte Catholic’s membership due to private school status | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/04/20/3187884/nchsaa-reviews-charlotte-catholics.html - broken link)

I did not realize that for these schools in the NCHSAA (so it looks like most private schools are not part of the NCHSAA) that students that receive financial aid are not eligible for athletics at all.

But overall, of course private schools have an advantage by being able take students from all over, but that doesn't mean they recruit. If they are traditionally good at a sport then kids will want to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte