U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times

Advertisements

I live in county and I never hve separated items to recycle til now.
I have a recycle container now but uncertain on some items.

I know cardboard, plastic containers, cans, newspaper but are they limited?

Cereal & pizza boxes are they ok? and what about the plastic liner in those boxes?

Are all plastic bottles allowed? I wash them and remove the labels.
What about bottles used for cleaners and yard treatment?
If so do you also toss in plastic spray nozzles & tube?
What about the plastic plant containers?

Cans, do you include the tops, and the pop tops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 AM

21,851 posts, read 27,123,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I live in county and I never hve separated items to recycle til now.
I have a recycle container now but uncertain on some items.

I know cardboard, plastic containers, cans, newspaper but are they limited?

Cereal & pizza boxes are they ok? and what about the plastic liner in those boxes?

Are all plastic bottles allowed? I wash them and remove the labels.
What about bottles used for cleaners and yard treatment?
If so do you also toss in plastic spray nozzles & tube?
What about the plastic plant containers?

Cans, do you include the tops, and the pop tops?
Sunny, some things vary. Are they sending your recycle waste to Gastonia to be sorted?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,024,535 times
Not the plastic liners, but the boxes are fine.

Plastics are marked with a number in a triangle - 1-5 & 7 are recyclable. Not the tops or nozzles.

More here:
Char-Meck Recycling

Make sure to read the labels on cleaners, yard stuff, etc. Some of that needs to be wrapped up in newspaper & thrown out; most, you can rinse out the bottles and recycle them.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:44 AM

Does all plastic bottles have numbers? I see that link Charlottegal you provided describe the numbers.
and I rinse everything to keep bugs out and to be safe around Indigo.
Ok I understand on nozzles Do I need to remove labels before tossing?
What about shopping plastic bags?

SB no, There should be a state standard if this isnt.

When my sister was in from California she was amazed of the places that sell items in styrofoam, something forbidden in CA.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:46 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,126,624 times
No pizza boxes - they can't take anything that had food directly on it, although i do put in tomato boxes and chicken broth boxes...I have heard that if a plastic bottle has the cap on, it gets thrown into the trash. I don't use many, but if I have one I take the top off. I also leave the tops off of glass jars, but I throw the tops into the bin to be separated out by the magnet at the recycle center. plastic plant containers are recyclable, as are cereal boxes without the liner, other cardboard, and even junk mail.

Plastic shopping bags can be returned to the store - they all have bins outside or right inside the store for recycling. Better yet, get some reusable bags!

Your trash collector website should have specific info about what is recyclable. You can check the plastic numbers on the bottom of the container to double check if it can be included. Good for you for taking the time to recycle! It's one of the easiest and most important things we can do to conserve less.

Last edited by coastalgirl; 04-21-2012 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Thanks coastal, Junk mail lol love it just remove the address off it. Thanks for tip on removing the caps.
Also thanks for telling me where to find the number of type of plastic.

The county last year pass either a ordinance and private trash pick up finally gave the bins last week.
Ill check out see if they have a website and look it up.

I bet the rates will go up soon for the extra truck they run, (plus higher gas prices.

Right now its 40 bucks for 3 months.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:17 AM

Sunny, This is the brochure for the Kings Mountain. http://www.cityofkm.com/downloads/re...KM_recycle.pdf

Our recycling goes to Gastonia for sorting, then goes to Charlotte. Pull out plastic liner bags from cereal, potatoes, pasta etc. Then collapse the box. We can't recycle pizza boxes, but Shelby has since started recycling & they allow pizza boxes.

If there's a plastic window in an envelope or box, pull that off & throw it in the trash.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:20 AM

10,588 posts, read 10,727,945 times
Anything that - I - consider recyclable goes into the bin..Let them figure out what is and is not at the other end.

If more people made the decision on their own, those in charge would be forced to find a way to recycle everything!

Old 04-21-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Sunny, This is the brochure for the Kings Mountain. http://www.cityofkm.com/downloads/re...KM_recycle.pdf

Our recycling goes to Gastonia for sorting, then goes to Charlotte. Pull out plastic liner bags from cereal, potatoes, pasta etc. Then collapse the box. We can't recycle pizza boxes, but Shelby has since started recycling & they allow pizza boxes.

If there's a plastic window in an envelope or box, pull that off & throw it in the trash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Anything that - I - consider recyclable goes into the bin..Let them figure out what is and is not at the other end.

If more people made the decision on their own, those in charge would be forced to find a way to recycle everything!
Thanks I dont know why I was making it harder than this is. I didnt think to do what coastal said and look at that company web.

SB wow looks like Gaston has alot of Donts lol
I still think there should be a state standard so it uniform across the state.

I look on that company website and looks like they are pretty lenient as Oleg said let them figure it out.

From there site
Quote:
This container can contain:
• Any paper products
• Any aluminum cans
• Any plastic containers or packaging
• Any glass bottles
• Any metal
• Cardboard (If large, please break down
and sit under or beside bin)
• Aerosol cans can be taken if they are
empty and do NOT contain the orange
hazard symbol
• Magazines and phone books
• Junkmail
NOTE: Anything you wish to recycle, PLEASE RINSE OUT AND REMOVE ALL LIDS.
Please stack papers underneath bottles, cans, etc. to prevent light
recyclables from exiting the bin.
I am happy with word Any.
Quote:
This container CANNOT contain:
• Styrofoam plates/cups
• Food waste and residue
• Shredded paper
• Liquids
• Hazardous products (example: baby diapers, restroom waste, etc.)

Old 04-21-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Thanks I dont know why I was making it harder than this is. I didnt think to do what coastal said and look at that company web.

SB wow looks like Gaston has alot of Donts lol
I still think there should be a state standard so it uniform across the state.

I look on that company website and looks like they are pretty lenient as Oleg said let them figure it out.

From there site I am happy with word Any.
Sunny, call & ask about pizza boxes & cardboard egg cartons.

Since this is a private company, they may be selling the recycle stuff elsewhere, but, Since our stuff goes to Gastonia & then Charlotte, my suspicion is that Kings Mountain probably has the same standards as Charlotte, or close to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or