U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 AM

972 posts, read 2,138,610 times

Advertisements

This article made me so mad! I'm still paying off medical bills from last year, including a $2500 CT scan. I had to take the day off today just to file medical paperwork. The hospitals overcharge, the insurance is a tangle and the doctors you need are hard to get into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 AM

162 posts, read 350,928 times
Just like everyone else, that article enraged me. I have 3 children. Each time my wife was at CMC and was given motrin, it was around EIGHT DOLLARS PER DOSE. Are you kidding me?

On a related insurance note- what has my blood boiling is the new rule they enacted where if you go for a preventative checkup, but discuss ANYTHING that they deem isn't preventative or routine, the doctor has to charge you an additional office visit. I went for an annual physical, discussed something with my doctor and because it was mentioned, I'm on the hook for 100 dollars of my part of insurance even thought my plan has 100% preventative coverage. I wasn't treated, I wasn't prescribed anything, it was just a normal chat about a question I had that to me was a routine thing. But because he is required by law now to note and code that we talked about it, I have to pay for that conversation. I asked my doctor isn't that the point of having routine checkups? How do you know what you can and can't ask that will make your yearly physical a two-part well/sick visit? Wouldn't the insurance companies want it the opposite, so they wouldn't have to pay the doctor more?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:33 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,059,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbri20 View Post
Just like everyone else, that article enraged me. I have 3 children. Each time my wife was at CMC and was given motrin, it was around EIGHT DOLLARS PER DOSE. Are you kidding me?

On a related insurance note- what has my blood boiling is the new rule they enacted where if you go for a preventative checkup, but discuss ANYTHING that they deem isn't preventative or routine, the doctor has to charge you an additional office visit. I went for an annual physical, discussed something with my doctor and because it was mentioned, I'm on the hook for 100 dollars of my part of insurance even thought my plan has 100% preventative coverage. I wasn't treated, I wasn't prescribed anything, it was just a normal chat about a question I had that to me was a routine thing. But because he is required by law now to note and code that we talked about it, I have to pay for that conversation. I asked my doctor isn't that the point of having routine checkups? How do you know what you can and can't ask that will make your yearly physical a two-part well/sick visit? Wouldn't the insurance companies want it the opposite, so they wouldn't have to pay the doctor more?
You wouldn't have had to pay except that your physician chose to charge you. Were tests ordered as a result of your discussion w/ the doc? Were notes entered into your medical record? Were meds prescribed?

Old 04-23-2012, 12:03 PM

4,539 posts, read 5,449,768 times
I am not a NC resident, but I suspect the same is true for the Bay Area. Our employer based insurance increased last year as did our deductible so that we are now paying three times as much for nothing and we aren't able to communicate with our "doctor".

My heart goes out to all who have been stung by this outrage. But, if we don't stick together as Americans, corporations will own our soul. We need to get organized and support Occupy and other groups doing the best they can to stand up for Americans.

Keep this in mind when you vote!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,871,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I am not a NC resident, but I suspect the same is true for the Bay Area. Our employer based insurance increased last year as did our deductible so that we are now paying three times as much for nothing and we aren't able to communicate with our "doctor".

My heart goes out to all who have been stung by this outrage. But, if we don't stick together as Americans, corporations will own our soul. We need to get organized and support Occupy and other groups doing the best they can to stand up for Americans.

I agree with everything except for this part, only because Americans no longer have a real choice at the polls. Both major political parties are owned by the corporate class. We have one corporate party that has a Republican wing and a Democratic wing, with the latter being slightly more socially liberal than the former. Both wings pretend to be in conflict when they actually are not. Notice how they only "fight" over "culture war" issues. Those don't cost corporations like Carolina's Healthcare System any money.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:43 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,652,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I agree with everything except for this part, only because Americans no longer have a real choice at the polls. Both major political parties are owned by the corporate class. We have one corporate party that has a Republican wing and a Democratic wing, with the latter being slightly more socially liberal than the former. Both wings pretend to be in conflict when they actually are not. Notice how they only "fight" over "culture war" issues. Those don't cost corporations like Carolina's Healthcare System any money.
I have to agree with this.

Unless someone can give a clear answer to refute this, no matter who you vote for, these "non-profits" still win.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM

27 posts, read 39,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post

We had changes in ours too. The premium was due to increase by 21% and so the deductible was changed to $10K. The first $1000 is paid for by the employer/insurer and then the second $1000 is paid by me the employee. Then it's 80/20 up to the $10k mark. I don't know how this will affect/effect me yet, we'll find out when I get my next kidney stone. I've been told by the higher ups that it's going to save the company about $75k annually with this program.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:16 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,945,730 times
I completely lost my employer health benefits last year and I just turned 50. For my spouse & I, Cobra, which means I can purchase my employer's insurance at their group rate, cost around $840/month. Once that runs out and we are forced onto private insurance the amount is around $900/month. Once my spouse crosses 50, it's $1100-$1200/month and then there is a significant hit every 5 years until each of us is eligible for medicare at age 65. This is for insurance with $5000 deductible.

It's an enormous expense but one that someone must have because otherwise you are one accident or bad illness away from losing everything you worked for all your life.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 PM

21,899 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Look, I said in my post I'm not for soaking the rich or the issue of individuals paying taxes, so don't turn this into that. Keep it on topic.

I'm talking about the healthcare system and how wrong it is that there's zero accountability. When something is flat out wrong its wrong. Kudos to the CO for opening my eyes on how there is so much wrong with this.
Jack, I'd like to post my experience with CMC on this topic, but it would involve posting personal information that I don't want to post online.

I dealt with Cleveland Regional & CMC Main. Shelby treated me much better, even though it's the same company. I'm not referring to medical treatment. The Observer only scratched the surface.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:42 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,652,508 times
I dont doubt people get great care...heck, i did. Im just saying kudos to the CO for opening my eyes (and by the responses on here many others are surprised.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or