U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 PM

21,852 posts, read 27,123,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I dont doubt people get great care...heck, i did. Im just saying kudos to the CO for opening my eyes (and by the responses on here many others are surprised.)
One of our posters has posted that he or she works at both Cleveland Regional & CMC Main. I can tell you, from experience, that finances are handled very differently,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 03:40 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,439,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I agree with everything except for this part, only because Americans no longer have a real choice at the polls. Both major political parties are owned by the corporate class. We have one corporate party that has a Republican wing and a Democratic wing, with the latter being slightly more socially liberal than the former. Both wings pretend to be in conflict when they actually are not. Notice how they only "fight" over "culture war" issues. Those don't cost corporations like Carolina's Healthcare System any money.
I don't disagree with you. We really have no choices as the corporations don't hear us at all. I hope you watch the Bill Moyers series has he has touched on the winner takes all politics. If you missed some of it you can find it at his web site.

When I go to Kaiser I am so disgusted listening to their employees discussing their fat retirement packages and pay increases. They are so arrogant, even care whether a patient hears them bragging which is why this article has really struck a nerve with me.

Even Superman needed medical care in the end, so hopefully those responsible will learn that good health doesn't last forever. To the rest, my heart goes out in sympathy and frustration.

Last edited by Heidi60; 04-23-2012 at 03:49 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,637,402 times
And this is in no way not a knock on the people in the pits and front lines who give great care.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,102,313 times
You guys really ought to read the continuing series in the Charlotte Observer. It is enough to make you pack your bags and move to England!!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 PM

151 posts, read 228,992 times
I bet all these corporate healthcare millionaires don't want Obamacare....they will be making much, much less money. Really, do we need them? Thanks to the Charlotte Observer for some good reporting. Articles like this make my subscription worth it.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:30 AM

642 posts, read 986,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalideas View Post
I bet all these corporate healthcare millionaires don't want Obamacare....they will be making much, much less money. Really, do we need them? Thanks to the Charlotte Observer for some good reporting. Articles like this make my subscription worth it.
Not so sure about "corporate healthcare millionaires don't want Obamacare".

Why?

I'd sure like it if my business sector was just handed another 55 million (or thereabouts) new customers. This is like building a healthcare system for a country the size of the UK or France. There just HAS to be money in that.

There will be more hospitals, clinics, nurces, doctors, equipment, yo name it. The corporate bozos can then claim, that they do not yet have enough resources (caused by congress) so prices must go up due to supply and demand. This will not just be here in NC but US-wide.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:36 AM

642 posts, read 986,384 times
When we move to Charlotte next year, I shall be paying $21K in healthcare for my wife and I. This is a maximum anually. You can bet that this will rise yearly. we are going with Inclusive Health Inclusive Health North Carolina - You Are Insurable. as they have a cap on what I will have to spend.

To put this in context, I will have to buy and rent out two condos (two bedrooms each $1500 per month - HOA & expenses) just to pay for this. These will have to be cash deals - no mortgages.

Once I have bought my two rental condos, I can then buy myself a house to live in.

I am not complaining about this. Just sayin'. In fact I believe that I could get up to 5 extra years of life from the excellent care that I shall now be paying for.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,867,788 times
Quote:
I think the healthcare titans love that Obamacare requires that we all buy their junk insurance. The Justice Dept. should really investigate Carolina's Health Care for anti-trust violations. The Justice Dept. is full of corporate lackeys so they probably don't care and it doesn't matter which political party controls the White House. That's the big scam that makes blind partisans think they've accomplished something because their "team" won the presidency when, in reality, the status quo continues regardless.

The article itself referenced the system's ability to exercise market power to negotiate drug prices. I don't live in Charlotte but does anyone know if they have any competition in the metro area? Do people go to other hospitals in the area for cheaper prices or do they all try to go to a Carolina's Health hospital because they have a good reputation.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:09 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,637,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
In fact I believe that I could get up to 5 extra years of life from the excellent care that I shall now be paying for.
Huh? Do you have a terminal medical condition now where CMC/Presby will keep your life going, or are you just making a random prediction?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,456,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
or, at the very least...they pay taxes like everyone else!

Let's make the churches pay tax too...because a lot of those places are raking in the some pretty good dough (and they are not conducting life-saving procedures on a daily basis).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
You guys really ought to read the continuing series in the Charlotte Observer. It is enough to make you pack your bags and move to England!!

Actually, there is a big debate going on in the UK regarding privatizing their healthcare system as well.

Quote:

My biggest problem with Obama's plan was that he had the right idea, but went about it in a totally backwards way. It was more about finding ways to pay for insurance, rather than making heath care more affordable to begin with. As someone who works for "big, bad pharma," I can tell you that there are a number of things that could be done to make many prescriptions more affordable (getting rid of generics would be a huge step in that direction).

The current plan will not result in healthcare-related companies making less money; it will eat into some profits, but they will just raise prices to make up for those lost funds. And, for the record, the profit margin of most private health insurance comapnies is much smaller than most other types of industries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or