Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:17 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,660,082 times

Advertisements

The existing ft mill stadium is not falling apart. However the knights attendance stinks. One of the arguments for a new stadium is that having it uptown will attract a large chunk of population from areas like concord and lake norman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 12:32 PM

15,361 posts, read 12,568,409 times
There is no way I would drive to Ft. Mill to watch a minor league game...

Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,518,443 times
What's the point of being for or against it? Won't make a figgin' bit of difference.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:52 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,660,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
What's the point of being for or against it? Won't make a figgin' bit of difference.
Jeez, why so grouchy? Just saw the CO article and was interested to hear what people here think....i do goto several knights games/year and its something that interests me.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:52 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,357,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
The existing ft mill stadium is not falling apart. However the knights attendance stinks. One of the arguments for a new stadium is that having it uptown will attract a large chunk of population from areas like concord and lake norman.
UMmmm....when was the last time you were there CJ? For me, it was last Sat. I work there & I can say there are some issues with the bldg & equipment that a coat of paint & bandaid-measures won't fix. Attendance could be better, but we do get a good crowd Thurs.- Sat.

A new stadium in Uptown would be nice. It would cut my commute time in half

Old 04-24-2012, 01:32 PM

540 posts, read 1,699,132 times
they only want $8.5 Mil - That's a pittance compared to everything else..They will recoup that x's 1000 with new bars/nightlife that will go in around the park and pay taxes! and it'll be a 10-12k seat stadium, MLB parks hold 2 to 3 times that, not 10x

Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,796,212 times
A minor league stadium can be built with expansion in mind. All you have to do is go up with it. No need to add 15,000 seats in the outfield when they can be added all around by simply planning ahead.

The real question I have is how many luxury boxes will it have?

Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I am against any government money going to this endeavor. It is not governments job to loan/give private entities money.

I don't think a major league baseball team would work in Charlotte. The team would have to be constantly in a top team for it to possibly work. Too many transplants that already have their own team that they like to watch.
Tickets will sell because of the visiting team. You think all the yankees will pass up a cheap chance to see the Yankees? It'll be the Charlotte Whatevers(crickets chirping) versus the Boston Red Sox (stadium erupts with cheer). It'll be just like when the Steelers (ugh) come to town for a preseason game.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,942,024 times
It's more corporate welfare for the rich. I'm against using tax money for these purposes. The city has a horrendously bad track record on these predictions going all the way back to the BofA Stadium where it was predicted that it would create a vast entertainment district in 3rd ward. It's a bunch of parking lots instead.

It won't matter what the people say about it, as it's already decided. It was decided last November when the voters send the same bunch of people back to the city council and elected the same Mayor.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:41 PM

Right. But, since it is going to be done, why not do it the right way? Charlotte wants to be world-class, so let's stop screwing around and compete with the big boys. Minor league sports aren't competitive. Nobody cares about the Wichita Wingnuts. People want to see the Giants and the Braves and the Yankees. They're going for the now and not thinking about the potential for growth that a major league baseball team could offer. Just think about the property taxes that will come from the multiple-million dollar houses that the players would buy. The increase in spending that comes with 30 guys with loads of expendable income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte