U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:51 AM

540 posts, read 1,518,903 times

Advertisements

#1) Minor league owners are not "rich"
#2) Major league teams aren't moving, and they're not adding more teams
#3) That place in Ft. Mill is a dump
#4) 8.5 Mil being paid for by hotel taxes, not taxpayers
#5) nightlife / restaurants and bars will redevlop the area INCREASING the tax base
#6) I think the buffalo bisons triple a stadium is expandable if needed.
#7) the Durham Bulls stadium and neighboring warehouse district kicks ass!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 06:59 AM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I think there are just as many of us (if not more) who could say the same thing about going uptown for a game. I've only been to a couple of games as it is, but you won't ever see me going uptown for one. Talk about making it a giant pain in the a$$ for everyone - travel, traffic, parking, added expense, increased crime area, etc.

It's a complete waste of taxpayer money.
I've been to Panther games and it's a breeze to get in and out of the city.

The only thing Charlotte needs to change is on street parking. I don't like how they force you to use parking decks...

I like urban settings though so I have no problem with a little traffic and crowds of people.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:02 AM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
#1) Minor league owners are not "rich"
#2) Major league teams aren't moving, and they're not adding more teams
#3) That place in Ft. Mill is a dump
#4) 8.5 Mil being paid for by hotel taxes, not taxpayers
#5) nightlife / restaurants and bars will redevlop the area INCREASING the tax base
#6) I think the buffalo bisons triple a stadium is expandable if needed.
#7) the Durham Bulls stadium and neighboring warehouse district kicks ass!
4,5,6 & 7

Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,263,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
No, not exaggerating, at least not from my perspective. Right now I can drive right up to the Knights stadium, park in a large lot and get back on the road at the end of a game within minutes. Going uptown means planning to either find and pay for parking or take the train, dealing with traffic, etc. It's not worth it. I enjoy going uptown from time to time, but for the most part it's an inconvenience. I think the stadium is a terrible idea, and I'm willing to bet attendance will significantly decrease.

Plus, from a non-personal perspective, its ridiculous for the city to be spending taxpayer money on anything unnecessary right now. We already have a stadium.
Listen I'm against any use of taxpayer money for this. I was against the arena too. I've been to panther games, and bobcat games. I also went to hornet games. I've never been to a knights game. I have no desire to drive to ft Mill for a game. That being said there is nothing inconvenient about uptown. I've been all over this country and uptown has to be the easiest big city I've ever been to for ease of travel.

If anything it will ease waiting, as people will have multiple routes to leave after a game, and some will stay to have an adult beverage or 2. there is no way attendance will drop.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,938,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Listen I'm against any use of taxpayer money for this. I was against the arena too. I've been to panther games, and bobcat games. I also went to hornet games. I've never been to a knights game. I have no desire to drive to ft Mill for a game. That being said there is nothing inconvenient about uptown. I've been all over this country and uptown has to be the easiest big city I've ever been to for ease of travel.
People arrive/leave early at Panthers and Bobcats games. Thus, not everyone leaving at the same time. Therefore, the ease of traffic.

Quote:
there is no way attendance will drop.
How do you figure... The Concord area already has nearby Kannapolis Intimidators. The new stadium brings higher rates. Add in paying up to $10 for parking. You really think people are going to flock to see the same MINOR LEAGUE product for $20+ more... you got to be joking.

Again to the Durham guy... it isn't anywhere close the same. Charlotte has 2 pro teams and 3 minor teams just in uptown alone. The Knights move up then they are close to another minor league baseball team. Flash to Durham... ONLY the Bulls downtown which was featured in a popular movie. Yep, that's it. Raleigh has 1 pro team, not even downtown. Yep, that's it. No wonder a minor league team that brings in crowd since there is no competition for your money.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,960,373 times
I'm against using any type of tax revenue to for any sports arena, and I'm a huge baseball fan.

If this was a great investment with a healthy return, private investors and their capital would invest in the arena and surrounding area, buy existing businesses, and start new ones. No tax money would be needed!

Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,006,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
This topic has been discussed several times.

But, my opinion is that I would aupport the idea if the stadium could be expanded to become a home for a major league team. Since it cant be...not in favor. Too short-sighted in my opinion.
Agreed. The stadium must be built with the potential to become a major league stadium at some point in the future. If not, then it should not be built.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. The stadium must be built with the potential to become a major league stadium at some point in the future. If not, then it should not be built.
We won't have a MLB team for at least 20 years, and at that point the minor league stadium would be obsolete. Let it go people let it go.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
People arrive/leave early at Panthers and Bobcats games. Thus, not everyone leaving at the same time. Therefore, the ease of traffic.

How do you figure... The Concord area already has nearby Kannapolis Intimidators. The new stadium brings higher rates. Add in paying up to $10 for parking. You really think people are going to flock to see the same MINOR LEAGUE product for $20+ more... you got to be joking.

Again to the Durham guy... it isn't anywhere close the same. Charlotte has 2 pro teams and 3 minor teams just in uptown alone. The Knights move up then they are close to another minor league baseball team. Flash to Durham... ONLY the Bulls downtown which was featured in a popular movie. Yep, that's it. Raleigh has 1 pro team, not even downtown. Yep, that's it. No wonder a minor league team that brings in crowd since there is no competition for your money.
again there is more of a draw to go to uptown where you have plenty of options before and after the game. Unlike Ft Mill, or Kannapolis. If you pay 10 bucks for parking your getting screwed i paid 5 bucks at the last bobcat game and had a 3 minute walk.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:13 AM

540 posts, read 1,518,903 times
Yup -Attendance will increase, DOUBLE at least if it was uptown. Kannapolis is a low level single A team. The Knights are 1 step from the majors. Can not compare the 2 at all. You obviosuly know nothing about sports, big cities, or minor league baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte