U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,680,136 times

Advertisements

ok, here's another one....

Here's another potential "money pit" like Whitewater and NASCAR HofF.....

Now, I know alot of people love baseball and are going to wear the jersey in their arguments for it (just like the NASCAR crowd does for the HoF)...there will be some people on the total opposite side of the fence (no taxpayer funding whatsoever.)

How is this any different than Time Warner Arena being built against the taxpayers wishes? Are most people in Charlotte against tax $$ supporting this? Will the benefits outweigh the cost? Can anyone truthfully answer that?

Knights have stadium name, but shaky city support | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,444,182 times
This topic has been discussed several times.

But, my opinion is that I would aupport the idea if the stadium could be expanded to become a home for a major league team. Since it cant be...not in favor. Too short-sighted in my opinion.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,032,636 times
Where's the poll Jack? Anyways, I'm with spankys bbq on this one. We must build with the future in mind or else end up wasting money in the long run.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:11 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,941,776 times
I am against any government money going to this endeavor. It is not governments job to loan/give private entities money.

I don't think a major league baseball team would work in Charlotte. The team would have to be constantly in a top team for it to possibly work. Too many transplants that already have their own team that they like to watch.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,680,136 times
For the people who want the facility to be able to expand, i dont think thats possible or cost effective to do. An mlb park typically can hold 10x as many people as a minor league park......2 totally different venues

Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 AM

569 posts, read 1,225,150 times
I am against this total waste of money, especially since it would involve gov funding. We just had a huge property taxes increase in Meck County. Where do you think they will get the additional funding from?

Who's bright idea was this anyways? Some bozo (or group of bozos) says the economy is in the crapper, jobs are scarce, taxes are only getting higher and people in general are hurting for money right now. What is the smart thing to do? Yeah, lets build another freaking stadium that we don't need. Better yet, lets build a baseball stadium where there is hardly any evidence of strong support from the taxpayers.

That worked so well for the Bobcats arena.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 AM

11 posts, read 17,572 times
Build it. Have you been to downtown Durham? Have you seen what that minor league park has done to revitalize their downtown scene? Charlotte already has a very strong Uptown vibe, but this would only enhance it.

Where is the money coming? The city, taxpayers, and government. Look, I'd rather have some tangible that I can enjoy rather than reading about this stupid projects that mean nothing to anyone. Build the thing.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 AM

11,802 posts, read 9,391,643 times
I would vote yes to build a minor league park.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:49 AM

335 posts, read 591,375 times
If you build it, he will come.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,075,938 times
If there is nothing wrong with the existing stadium, and the only reason for building one uptown is because it would be shiny and new and in the middle of the city, then it's a waste of money. If the current stadium is broken down and needs to be replaced anyway, and you just want to move the new one uptown anyways, then I would have no issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte