U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
2002 Charlotte 10 29.41%
2012 Charlotte 24 70.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:01 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,312,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Hey genius, probably a handful of places in America would claim economic times are better in 2012 than 2002 (even post 9/11)....wtf are you arguing about? It's not coined the "great recession" because it's a cute term.

Still, the Charlotte 2012 is more vibrant than 2002...more venues, activities, etc.

Charlotte and the state of NC will be fine....sorry chicken little, the sky isn't falling.
Why are you being obnoxious? I said 2012 is better than 2002. I have a concern about banking though (i.e. Big Banks). And by the way, I am expert on the subject of Basel, Dodd Frank, capital mangement, etc... do you know what these terms are? What they mean for banking? There's a reason BOA is reducing it's work force by 30,000 and selling off businesses left and right. Are you aware if this? Do you follow this stuff? To say that Charlotte's economy is not tied to Big Banks is either ignorant (not to offend, but means you just don't know) or disengenuious. And BTW the way, you do know that 77% of Ally is owned by the government. Please read up on it and their future.

Last edited by mrdkb; 04-25-2012 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 05:02 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,946,361 times
Quote:
Ok, Miss Cleo, tell me what the powerball numbers will be next week. Please spare me the big gubment diatribe.....it's tired. The government has a role and people have biased postions as to what amount of government is good or bad. If you don't like Mecklenburg County, move.
This is a topic of opinion. It asks for this in the OP. You are free to have yours and I'm free to have mine. There really is no need to pass out insults like this.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,354,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Why are you being obnoxious? I said 2012 is better than 2002. I have a concern about banking though (i.e. Big Banks). And by the way, I am expert on the subject of Basel, Dodd Frank, capital mangement, etc... do you know what these terms are? What they mean for banking? There's a reason BOA is reducing it's work force by 30,000 and selling off businesses left and right. Are you aware if this? Do you follow this stuff? To say that Charlotte's economy is not tied to Big Banks is either ignorant (not to offend, but means you just don't know) or disengenuious. And BTW the way, you do know that 77% of Ally is owned by the government. Please read up on it and their future.
Sounds like you believe the banks aren't at fault for any of this...

Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 AM

3,455 posts, read 3,138,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This is a topic of opinion. It asks for this in the OP. You are free to have yours and I'm free to have mine. There really is no need to pass out insults like this.
That's all I did was give my opinion, that you nor anyone else can predict the future. Lastly, I think Charlotte and Mecklenburg County have a bright future, I know it pains some to think so, especially if we survive Dec 21, 2012!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Sounds like you believe the banks aren't at fault for any of this...
Dude, you do not understanding the Banking Industry. Banks are at fault; Basel, Dodd Frank, Federal Regulations, etc... are moving AGGRESSIVELY to correct the fault. These "corrective" actions limit what banks can and cannot do. The cans and cannot do's = Revenue for a Bank. As a result banks (specifically BOA) are selling off business and and laying off thousands of workers. This has a domino effect to. Banks, like BOA, are cutting consultant contracts, business contracts, etc....

And all I said early was Big banking helped (in some part) fuel Charlotte's growth. Did you know BOA is embarking on a Remake of the ENTIRE bank, called Project New BAC. Please google it.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Cleary you stated otherwise, please refer to post #17 (your response) of this thread:

.....Please see Union County growth (and other outer Counties and S.C. border). Also, Big Banking is an huge problem and BOA..big problem. Wells is HQ in San Fran and I see no reason for them to continue expansion (jobs, etc..) in Charlotte. But to answer the original question. 2002 is probably better than 2012; however, what will 2022 look like?

You're inferring that Charlotte 2002 is better than Charlotte 2012 which is in direct opposition of your position in the current post...flip-flopper, eh...you should sign-up, I know a guy looking for a side-kick.

As far as Basel, Dodd Frank, etc. goes, AGAIN, the banks are having to change their business models to adapt and address NEW regulations and policies. Sure, traditional lines of business or legacy revenue streams will not be as viable or protifable to their operations or bottom line. This means smart people, smarter than you and me are fevershihly working on advanced models to adapt their business operations to accomodate...think IVY league type + years of industry experience + street savvy + wealth of business acumen - in other words, real subject matter experts (consultants) who get paid $300-$400/hr to do these things.

If you're making that kind of money, good for you and feel free to dazzle me with your brilliance at any time...thus far, it has been grossly inadequate. But nonetheless, I do appreciate your valuable input on the matter.

The banks are reorganizing, developing cutting-edge roadmaps and strategies to comply with these modifications. Don't think your "big"mind for a second, these people are twittling their thumbs and waiting around to close shop...maybe they will fall short, will we see.

The financial industry and Charlotte are inextricably tied at the hip and is the industry that propelled the city to national notoriety in the high-faluten business circles (with all due respect to NASCAR). To the chagrin of some, Charlotte is/has grown beyond a two big-bank town and understandably, that's all some people are steadfast on, Charlotte circa 1982-1992....though, I will never discount the role or importance of banking/financial industry in Charlotte or it's impact on the local economy/work force.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 04-27-2012 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Cleary you stated otherwise, please refer to post #17 (your response) of this thread:

.....Please see Union County growth (and other outer Counties and S.C. border). Also, Big Banking is an huge problem and BOA..big problem. Wells is HQ in San Fran and I see no reason for them to continue expansion (jobs, etc..) in Charlotte. But to answer the original question. 2002 is probably better than 2012; however, what will 2022 look like?

You're inferring that Charlotte 2002 is better than Charlotte 2012 which is in direct opposition of your position in the current post...flip-flopper, eh...you should sign-up, I know a guy looking for a side-kick.

As far as Basel, Dodd Frank, etc. goes, AGAIN, the banks are having to change their business models to adapt and address NEW regulations and policies. Sure, traditional lines of business or legacy revenue streams will not be as viable or protifable to their operations or bottom line. This means smart people, smarter than you and me are fevershihly working on advanced models to adapt their business operations to accomodate...think IVY league type + years of industry experience + street savvy + wealth of business acumen - in other words, real subject matter experts (consultants) who get paid $300-$400/hr to do these things.

If you're making that kind of money, good for you and feel free to dazzle me with your brilliance at any time...thus far, it has been grossly inadequate. But nonetheless, I do appreciate your valuable input on the matter.

The banks are reorganizing, developing cutting-edge roadmaps and strategies to comply with these modifications. Don't think your "big"mind for a second, these people are twittling their thumbs and waiting around to close shop...maybe they will fall short, will we see.

The financial industry and Charlotte are inextricably tied at the hip and is the industry that propelled the city to national notoriety in the high-faluten business circles (with all due respect to NASCAR). To the chagrin of some, Charlotte is/has grown beyond a two big-bank town and understandably, that's all some people are steadfast on, Charlotte circa 1982-1992....though, I will never discount the role or importance of banking/financial industry in Charlotte or it's impact on the local economy/work force.
See the In-Box I sent you. I am not going to give a lesson on PD, LGD, OTC Derivatives, Ratings Based Approach , SFA Approach for Securitization, Basel III impact of doing away with ratings, Pooled investments, MBS Pass thru's, tranching of credit risk, etc, etc

You never know who you are talking to.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Just one thing I have to laugh at:

"The banks are reorganizing, developing cutting-edge roadmaps and strategies to comply with these modifications."

Novice.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
See the In-Box I sent you. I am not going to give a lesson on PD, LGD, OTC Derivatives, Ratings Based Approach , SFA Approach for Securitization, Basel III impact of doing away with ratings, Pooled investments, MBS Pass thru's, tranching of credit risk, etc, etc
You continue to baffle me, I can rattle off a ton terms in my industry but will not profess to be an expert on many of them; basically, I know enough to be dangerous and able to engage in workshop/conference conversation or at least retain and repeat a couple of talking points....like most people.

One way to determine or evaluate Charlotte's dependence on the financial services is to compare the employment distribution mix for specific job sectors over the last 30 years: 2012, 2002, 1992 and 1982. Then compare results to other cities to get an idea of the differences. Then, one could make a generalization on the impact of the financial industry. Chamber of Commerce has the data.

Did Charlotte take a punch? Sure, losing Wachovia HQ and name brand was tough, they were a huge part of the community but not certain how it's impacted total employment. I'm sure it has but I doubt Wells Fargo is closing any of those huge customer centers in the Charlotte area anytime soon....I could be wrong. Personally, I still bank there (Wells Fargo now...hideous USC trojan colors and blazen lettery).

The Charlotte metro's local economy/work force will continue to diversify, which it has been for quite some time now. We're not a major city, tourist destination or urban oasis but we've managed so far, they've written us off before....even George Washington.

Finally, I don't need a lesson on that ^^stuff. The banks have to change some fundamental business practices, we'll see what happens.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Just one thing I have to laugh at:

"The banks are reorganizing, developing cutting-edge roadmaps and strategies to comply with these modifications."

Novice.
Lol, I didn't have enough time to google or wiki some fancy bank terms and claim to be an expert......gotcha! ...then send you a PM about making tons of money via being a financial guru..

In a heavy Brooklyn accent with a wink, smacking gum, "shuuuur, thats our little secret".

That is the amazing aspect of the internet...one day I can be a high-flying financial consultant, tomorrow I'll be Prince of Zamunda....monday, I'll be a retired olympic champ.....

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 04-27-2012 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte