Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Have you looked at Linwood Farms?
Not to hijack the thread, but here's a Mooresville "fun-fact".

The current TV commercial for Diet Mtn Dew featuring Dale Jr trading his stock car to another customer for the "last" Diet Mtn Dew was filmed on a cul-de-sac in Linwood Farms and at the Rushco gas station at Hwy 21 & Brawley School Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 05:01 PM

80 posts, read 170,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph774 View Post
thanks, ocean22. i wanted to reply to your pm but it says my "direct message limit" has been reached? that's annoying. Thx for your suggestions! I have looked into those 3 subs. i want to stay away from cherry grove. I think it's too big and I haven't read very positive things (on this forum) about it. i think it'd be tough to re-sell a house. just my opinion! I really like the look of the northbridge homes, but I do think they need more trees& the hoa fees are really high. I have found one house in wellesly that i really like. We should know something next week about the job. I can't stand not knowing, i'm ready to plan the move or forget about it!
what part of FL are you from? how old are your kids? my daughter will be in preschool 3's this fall, so yes, i will be researching preschools, too.

Sorry! Sent you a DM with more details on schools and preschools.
We live in Cherry Grove and LOVE it! The only negatives I have ever heard is from a poster on here. Very family friendly with pool parties, 4th of July parade, Halloween parade, etc. Great families and a very friendly community!
I think you would be happy with any of those three neighborhoods and it would be an easy trip to Salisbury.
Good luck!

Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 PM

16 posts, read 42,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean22 View Post
Sorry! Sent you a DM with more details on schools and preschools.
We live in Cherry Grove and LOVE it! The only negatives I have ever heard is from a poster on here. Very family friendly with pool parties, 4th of July parade, Halloween parade, etc. Great families and a very friendly community!
I think you would be happy with any of those three neighborhoods and it would be an easy trip to Salisbury.
Good luck!
Just want to chime in that we're also in Cherry Grove, and we are really happy here. Love, love, love all of our neighbors. I like that we have decent sized lots with mature trees. We have a kindergartner at Park View, and we are really happy with the school as well. We moved from out of state mid-year, and his transition was practically seamless. At his old school, it was like pulling teeth to get any communication from his teacher or the administration. It's so much better at Park View. I've only read negatives from one particular poster, and I haven't experienced any of what he described. We are renting until our house in VA sells, and I would prefer to stay in this neighborhood when we do buy. Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:27 AM

7 posts, read 23,446 times
I'll check it out rosie, thx!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:33 AM

224 posts, read 458,204 times
I would highly recommend Cherry Grove as well.
It's very family friendly and community oriented.
Great commute to Salisbury and is in MGSD.
Originally, there were three builders in there,
Ryan Homes, St. Lawrence Homes and DR Horton.
They left a lot of the trees in the community when building,
which helped it look more established right from the start.
Good luck in getting the job!!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchenette View Post
I would highly recommend Cherry Grove as well.
It's very family friendly and community oriented.
Great commute to Salisbury and is in MGSD.
Originally, there were three builders in there,
Ryan Homes, St. Lawrence Homes and DR Horton.
They left a lot of the trees in the community when building,
which helped it look more established right from the start.
Good luck in getting the job!!
Some info re DR Horton

Homebuilder D.R. Horton is ending its practice of assigning to a subsidiary the drilling rights beneath homes it sells in North Carolina as interest in natural gas deposits is taking off.
The Texas company notified the North Carolina Real Estate Commission it will stop stripping drilling rights from property deeds and transferring them to subsidiary DRH Energy. The commission said the homebuilder agrees to return the drilling rights to any homeowner who asks

DR Horton to quit keeping mineral rights in NC - BusinessWeek

One of the very noticeable things re Cherry Grove is (considering the homes are only around 6 yrs old and many have high end finsihes) how much the prices have fallen since they were built in 2006. Of the 14 that are for sale currently 4 are short sales and 2 are foreclosures- that's almost 50% distressed sales.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Some info re DR Horton

Homebuilder D.R. Horton is ending its practice of assigning to a subsidiary the drilling rights beneath homes it sells in North Carolina as interest in natural gas deposits is taking off.
The Texas company notified the North Carolina Real Estate Commission it will stop stripping drilling rights from property deeds and transferring them to subsidiary DRH Energy. The commission said the homebuilder agrees to return the drilling rights to any homeowner who asks

DR Horton to quit keeping mineral rights in NC - BusinessWeek

One of the very noticeable things re Cherry Grove is (considering the homes are only around 6 yrs old and many have high end finsihes) how much the prices have fallen since they were built in 2006. Of the 14 that are for sale currently 4 are short sales and 2 are foreclosures- that's almost 50% distressed sales.
I think this is a key part to this statement though. Many homes were built near the height of the market, obviously lending itself to go through the fall a little harder than other (older) areas in Mooresville. I think the same could be said of other neighborhoods built in the same time frame. Curtis Pond is the first example that comes to mind on the east side though I think a good chunk of newer development on the other side of 77 has similar issues if not even more so because of the higher prices to begin with. Even the smaller communities have seen their fair share. With the national attention that MGSD is getting and the talk of it possibly becoming an IB district, I think the long term buying value in that area of Mooresville is pretty good.
Also, I am no expert but in a neighborhood of almost 400 homes having only 14 listed doesn't seem that bad at all.
We love our neighborhood though so I am pretty partial

Old 04-27-2012, 03:27 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean22 View Post
I think this is a key part to this statement though. Many homes were built near the height of the market, obviously lending itself to go through the fall a little harder than other (older) areas in Mooresville. I think the same could be said of other neighborhoods built in the same time frame. Curtis Pond is the first example that comes to mind on the east side though I think a good chunk of newer development on the other side of 77 has similar issues if not even more so because of the higher prices to begin with. Even the smaller communities have seen their fair share. With the national attention that MGSD is getting and the talk of it possibly becoming an IB district, I think the long term buying value in that area of Mooresville is pretty good.
Also, I am no expert but in a neighborhood of almost 400 homes having only 14 listed doesn't seem that bad at all.
We love our neighborhood though so I am pretty partial
MGSD may be getting national press, but there is no way I would want my child doing all his learning on a lap top- and certainly not an i-ad if that's the way they're heading now.

Regarding it being good that only 14 out of 400 homes are for sale I think that's about average looking at SDs like Morrison plantation, Winslow Bay
The point I was making was that the high percentage of distressed sales will likely cause a continued drop in the home prices.

As for SDs on the West Of Mooresville having more problems becasue of the higher prices to begin with you would have to be more specific as there really aren't that many SDs on this side that were built around 2005-6.

In addition I would not be prepared to pay city water/sewer and taxes to live in SDs that have very few facilities close by.
If I was going to pay city taxes and school tax then I would be looking at Downtown Mooresville or Muirfield maybe- if I was in that price range.
Downtown is so cute and I think that's where the "value" will be.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:45 PM

7 posts, read 23,446 times
so, do the kids who have the laptops-4th grade & up right?-do everything on the computer? they never write with paper or pencils? surely, they don't do everything on the laptop?
also, what is an "IB district", Ocean22? i meant to ask you this in my last reply?

Old 04-27-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph774 View Post
so, do the kids who have the laptops-4th grade & up right?-do everything on the computer? they never write with paper or pencils? surely, they don't do everything on the laptop?
also, what is an "IB district", Ocean22? i meant to ask you this in my last reply?
To clarify some of the information.... Learning in MGSD is not all done on laptops at all. The laptops are simply a additional learning tool used in the classrooms from 4th-12th grade. You can request a tour of the schools to see that in action, but it is a national model and has recently had an article in the New York Times. Considering the ISS & CMS schools are in talks to copy some of that technology and look to MGSD as a model, I would say they are heading in the right direction. If anything I see it as being ahead of the curve when it comes to technology in the classroom. According to a recent article in the Mooresville paper ISS seems to be trying to find the budget to implement the same thing , so if you are moving to Mooresville you may soon not have a choice in the matter. I think it is very much a positive for our children and appreciate that MGSD is a small enough district to implement it very well.
I have no idea what an i-ad is that the prior poster commented on. I don't have more details on the issue of an IB (International Baccalaureate)district but have heard it mentioned before about MGSD. I think a poster has mentioned it before on here as well. I assume because of the huge success MGSD has had they can apply to do it at some point. In my opinion, that can only mean positive things for a district has an already strong record of strong performance.

I also don't think there is any need to bad mouth one side or the other. Both areas of Mooresville are quite lovely and both have very good schools. There are a few differences in atmosphere and the "feel" of the locations, schools, etc but that is just personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte