U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,263,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoA1970 View Post
A friend who teaches there says that the memorial is outside the Kennedy Building. Take a look at it during your rounds.
Walked around the Kennedy building this morning. No memorial of any kind. It wouldn't make sense to have a memorial at Kennedy anyway because that was never the nursing building - at least not since 1979 when Colvard opened.

I also did a search of the Observer headlines since 1985. The only murder of a student anywhere near campus since then was the 1989 murder of Kimberly Piccolo at her apartment across U City Boulevard. She was listed as a business student. There was a freshman girl who committed suicide in 95 on campus and a student killed by her husband at her home in 05.

This is an urban legend.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 AM

54 posts, read 143,770 times
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

Today I called Walden Court and Ashford green and both of them said that Water, electricity, ... are not included in the monthly rate (only sewage and garbage) . Is this routine or I am seeking for something which should not expect? coze Ive heard that some houses have these fees included in their total monthly rent.

What and how much extra fees (beyond rent) should I consider for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom plan in the university area?
Water,
electricity,
Internet
and...?

Thanks.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurdishMan View Post
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

Today I called Walden Court and Ashford green and both of them said that Water, electricity, ... are not included in the monthly rate (only sewage and garbage) . Is this routine or I am seeking for something which should not expect? coze Ive heard that some houses have these fees included in their total monthly rent.

What and how much extra fees (beyond rent) should I consider for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom plan in the university area?
Water,
electricity,
Internet
and...?

Thanks.
Most places don't include utilities. Some of the places specifically geared toward college students might include those, but others don't.

When I lived in Walden Court, water was included. But that was 4 years ago.

I would guess about $25-40 a month for water (depending on if you plan to do laundry in the unit), $40-50 a month for internet, and $70 - $100 for electricity (depending on how much heat/air you use)

Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Most places don't include utilities. Some of the places specifically geared toward college students might include those, but others don't.

When I lived in Walden Court, water was included. But that was 4 years ago.

I would guess about $25-40 a month for water (depending on if you plan to do laundry in the unit), $40-50 a month for internet, and $70 - $100 for electricity (depending on how much heat/air you use)
uhum, do you know what rent insurance is?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurdishMan View Post
uhum, do you know what rent insurance is?
Do they require it? It's not expensive at all. Maybe $80 for the whole year ($6 a month)

Old 07-09-2012, 09:29 AM

7 posts, read 8,584 times
You would be better off and safer if you DON'T live in the university area. I did some research and came across this news aggregator/blog by a UNCC student. You'll think twice before moving anywhere near that area.

[url=http://thinkingofattendinguncc.blogspot.com/2012/06/for-those-who-are-considering-attending.html]Thinking of Attending UNCC? Think Again!: For Those Who Are Considering Attending UNCC[/url]

Old 07-09-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethDiGiona View Post
You would be better off and safer if you DON'T live in the university area. I did some research and came across this news aggregator/blog by a UNCC student. You'll think twice before moving anywhere near that area.

Thinking of Attending UNCC? Think Again!: For Those Who Are Considering Attending UNCC
This blog is ridiculous. I don't have time to point out all the inaccuracies and illogical assumptions.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:43 AM

3,185 posts, read 5,743,404 times
Avoid University walk. My son rented there and found that there is no control over who your 3 room mates will be. University walk will rent to any person and they dont have to be students. My son a student was faced with living with a "street person " type and it lead to a violent fight when the street person came in drunk with a prostitute and my son didnt like it.University walk is NO PLACE for a serious student..Its a getto

Old 07-09-2012, 12:40 PM

11,711 posts, read 9,319,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethDiGiona View Post

Thinking of Attending UNCC? Think Again!: For Those Who Are Considering Attending UNCC
stop trolling the board with this link. You are stuck on university crime for some reason... did you hedge a bet against University Area or something?

Old 07-31-2012, 04:45 AM

Dear friends,

Finally, I got my visa and Ill fly into Charlotte on August 5. Ill arrive at 0:40 am August 6, and since I have no one in the city, I have to stay in a motel for few days before finding an appropriate house. For saving time and money, could you please tell me where and how to start searching the area? I dont have a car, so my search will be limited to the university area. Is craigslist the only method of house finding?

Any other useful experiences are appreciated by this complete stranger!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte